Los Angeles trophy clearing and import duties

libertarian

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life/Endowment member
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Does anyone know a good customs broker for the Los Angeles area? I'm considering using one, but I'd like to use someone local if at all possible.

Also, I can't find any definitive information on the import duties due on hunting trophies... I know there are inspection fees, but does Customs charge a tax as well?

TIA

No tax is due. You will save yourself a ton of money by doing the clearing yourself. FWS and Customs are very helpful.

Here is ifo from one I used in San Fran. Not LA but hope it helps.

Bill Youngblood
TransPak International
Import Coordinator

130 Produce Ave Suite H
South San Francisco, CA 94080

(650) 588 9882 Tel
(650) 873 5639 Fax

bill.youngblood@transpak.com

Any Updated on this Thread? I should have some trophies coming back in early 2013\

I have used Coppersmith for both of my trip to Africa. They do have a office in Los Angeles. Try 310-607-8000. Bruce

If it is a dip and pack shippment it will have to go to an approved taxidermist first before being released to you. If it is all finished and mounted trophies it can be released to you right at the airport. If it stays for several days at the airport you will pay storage charges. I've tried twice in LA on the horns and hides type stuff and they won't budge even though their guide book says that dried skins and clean skulls can be released to the owner. The approved taxidermist is another charge you'll have to incur as it has to travel to them via bonded trucking not your pickup truck.

Thanks for the information guys, I also have trophys coming home from South Africa, fully mounted.
Hopefully by the end of the year, can't wait to get my hands on them Brian:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg