Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
A good friend of mine just purchased a BRNO VZ 24 built in 1933. IMHO it is in very good condition. But with the current ammo shortage has been unable to find any at reasonable prices. I thought I might ask the AH community if anyone has a couple of extra boxes of ammo they would be willing to sell. At the same time since I reload, I'd be willing to buy some once fired brass and reloading dies. If you can help out, please send me a PM.

A good friend of mine just purchased a BRNO VZ 24 built in 1933. IMHO it is in very good condition. But with the current ammo shortage has been unable to find any at reasonable prices. I thought I might ask the AH community if anyone has a couple of extra boxes of ammo they would be willing to sell. At the same time since I reload, I'd be willing to buy some once fired brass and reloading dies. If you can help out, please send me a PM.

@Shootist43 don't forget to specify if you need 8x57 JS or 8x57J, or even 8x57 JR or 8x57 JRS!

You might be shooting a .323" bullet down a .318" bore if there is a mix up.

Thanks rookhawk, I will have to check that out. Are there any markings on the barrel and or receiver that would indicate the bore diameter? I thought that since the rifle was made in 1933 it would be the JS variety

Thanks rookhawk, I will have to check that out. Are there any markings on the barrel and or receiver that would indicate the bore diameter? I thought that since the rifle was made in 1933 it would be the JS variety

I'm not a military mauser guru so I defer to their expertise. To my understanding, the 8x57J rifles were shot out so at some point so they changed the standard to 8x57JS , but you may find that some bores are stlll pretty tight.

However, if it is not sporterized, but an actual sporter or if it was re-barreled at any point, there is absolutely no way of knowing for certain unless you slug the bore or drop pin gauges in it.

While not the case with yours, I've seen many drillings that were of fairly modern manufacture that used the 8x57JR diameter long after 8x57JRS was introduced.

I mention all of this not to be nosey with your post, but just to remind everyone to get specific with what is needed and what they might have. Many mistakes have been made to dangerous results because of the fact there are no less than FOUR 8mm mauser calibers out there and then another half dozen 8mm that have the same 8mm German Proof Marks but are 8mm Sauer & Sohn, 8mm Lebel, and a pile of other came-and-went German 8mm calibers that all have the same exact proof marks on them as an 8mm mauser!

Rookhawk from what I read online the switch from the "J" to the "JS" was done about 20 years before my buddie's gun was built. Your caution / advice re. being specific is duly noted. Slugging the barrel is the only way to be sure.

Rookhawk from what I read online the switch from the "J" to the "JS" was done about 20 years before my buddie's gun was built. Your caution / advice re. being specific is duly noted. Slugging the barrel is the only way to be sure.

If you ever get by my area we could pin gauge the bore together in ten minutes. Beer is cold and free Too.

don't forget to specify if you need 8x57 JS
VZ24. By 1933, standard was js, or 0.323. No problem.

.318 is extremely rare. phased out before ww1

i spoke with several people, avid gun collectors, and they have never seen rifle in 318 bore (military or civilian)
In 2 consecutive world wars europe was twice flooded with .323 standard, in millions. And civilian guns have bee confisctaed, frequently destroyed.

So it is very unlikely to find the 318 rifle surviving such cicrcustances on old continent.
My educated guess would be that .318 mauser rifle, could be found in early mauser exports before ww1, to countries on other continents.

On the european soil, it is very unlikley.

Good "ole" Toby458, sent me a partial box of soft points that arrived today. My buddy was very happy when I told him that I had a few rounds coming.

8x57_dies_&_brass.jpg
I was digging around in a box of never-used reloading supplies and found I have a set of CH dies labeled "8mm Mauser" and 20 rounds of 8mm Mauser brass. I bought these as part of a lot 20 years ago. If these would be of interest, send me a PM. Likely one of the experts here will know more about them than I do!

Jeff

Thanks to Rimshot and Hannay components are starting to show up. I now have dies and bullets in sufficient quantity. What I need most of now is brass.

Wyatt Smith, thanks for the tip. I got a box of 50, which will be enough to get started

Hannay, much to my surprise the 8mm dies and empty brass you shipped on Monday arrived earlier today. Lately it has taken the U.S. Postal Service a week to ten days to deliver any type of mail. Some packages have taken 30 days and longer. You must be living right, thanks for your help.

Hannay, much to my surprise the 8mm dies and empty brass you shipped on Monday arrived earlier today. Lately it has taken the U.S. Postal Service a week to ten days to deliver any type of mail. Some packages have taken 30 days and longer. You must be living right, thanks for your help.
Glad to hear it - and, yes, I've had payments sent by mail take 14 and 28 days this year, and others that arrived super fast like this one.

Hey Shootist, I think I have a couple of boxes, if I do, pay for shipping and they are yours.

Gerald

Gerald Boyd, I sent you a PM with my contact information and agreement to pay for shipping costs. Have you had a chance to look through your inventory yet?

No Sir, not yet. We've just moved from Waco to South of Houston. My garage still has the ammo boxes, only the guns have been moved inside to the safes. I'll get to you mid morning UNLESS the wife is working on a different agenda & timeline.... Let's say 11 CDT or so to give you a post....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber