Looking for the best taxidermist on my predators from Africa!

Catchaser

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NWTF, RMEF
Hunted
Eastern Cape, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Attached are my pictures from a fantastic trip last week in Africa. Looking for the best taxidermists to do the Caracal, Serval, Water Mongoose and Ardwolf in the United States. The problem I am running into most taxidermists have done only a hand full of these guys if any at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ardwolf.JPG
Caracal.jpg
Water Mongoose.jpg
Serval.jpg
Nyala 1.jpg
Sable.jpg
Cape Buffalo.jpg
Cape Buffalo Group.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice buff!

I know of a great predator taxidermist in Indiana, but I don’t know if they have done African game. I’ll ask a friend who knows them, and see if I can get any info.

Good luck finding a taxidermist for your little predators.

Animal Artistry does excellent work and I was particularly impressed with their Aardwolf mount as SCI a few years back.

Great taxidermist, do great mounts regardless of the specie. The general taxidermy principles are the same across most mammals. It's the available reference material for rarer animals and good available forms to begin with that can affect even great taxidermist.
As for who is the best- that has been beat like a :S Beat Dead Horse:. Get up you old mule, it's time to discuss best taxidermist again :LOL:

Conroe Taxidermy near Houston does great work on any kind of animal.

What I can tell you is that we would love to help you with your taxidermy needs. The vast majority of our business is in safari work and we provide excellent service and quality. I will be glad to provide both pictures and references. Please hollar as I would be glad to visit with you and give you a quote. We have many many clients here on AH that we do all of their taxidermy from their safaris and I am sure they would be glad to visit with you.

Pick some one very carefully !!!! Some predators can come back from Africa in very poor shape. I would only use someone who has a lot of experience with these animals.
I would also try and find a taxidermist that has been there and shot these species first hand.
Congrats on what looks like a fantastic hunt !

Fantastic job on getting those smaller guys, congrats to you & you outfitter/PH, been after a Serval for years & only seen one Water Mongoose .

Did you dog them or night shoot ?

Can you take the Ardwolf to the USA with out trouble ?

You are right, hardly see these mounted correctly, Cats & Bears seem to be badly mounted alot !!

Great taxidermist, do great mounts regardless of the specie. The general taxidermy principles are the same across most mammals. It's the available reference material for rarer animals and good available forms to begin with that can affect even great taxidermist.
As for who is the best- that has been beat like a :S Beat Dead Horse:. Get up you old mule, it's time to discuss best taxidermist again :LOL:

What Buck said. I'm a fish guy so I'm not vying for anything. But even with fish, the best work is done using the best available forms/blanks and relying heavily on photos of the actual fish in conjunction with really, really good reference photos, IMHO. And it doesn't matter how experienced you are. I KNOW what a rainbow looks like; I still rely on my reference library. The same holds true with mammals.

Best of wishes on your search sir, and congrats on your trip.

Not beating a dead horse as I have many mounts of different species and found over the years some are much better at doing deer than say bobcats or foxes. I am trying to find the best taxidermists to do the species that most have little to no experience and wanting them done correctly.

Fantastic job on getting those smaller guys, congrats to you & you outfitter/PH, been after a Serval for years & only seen one Water Mongoose .

Did you dog them or night shoot ?

Can you take the Ardwolf to the USA with out trouble ?

You are right, hardly see these mounted correctly, Cats & Bears seem to be badly mounted alot !!
Hunted the cats with dogs and got them during the day. The serval is a big cat and want to make sure he is mounted perfectly. Unofficially will be number 3 in SCI. Ardwolf should be ok to import.
You are correct about the cats. To me the face is what makes the cat that is why I am looking for examples of what is out there.

Not beating a dead horse as I have many mounts of different species and found over the years some are much better at doing deer than say bobcats or foxes. I am trying to find the best taxidermists to do the species that most have little to no experience and wanting them done correctly.
I totally get the query. I'm in the same boat myself - got the means to buy the best (not good commercial taxidermy but excellent, top quality, 1% work). Unfortunately; however, since Dennis went down, I can find no one who wants to take it.

I hear ya Catchaser and I can empathize but asking who the best X taxidermist is like herding cats. Phil Sourcey is a well renowned cat guy. So is Daniel Meng. Mark Couture does great small cats but has a rep of being unreliable etc check the internet for more. Jerry Huffaker is a great all-around taxidermist. There are others also. Some of the bigger named shops which I'm sure you are already aware of.

My point was, if they are exceptional at cats, they will be good at any cat and mostly certainly way above average for your other small predators. You are not likely to find a guy known for his great ardwolf and water mongoose alone :)

Jim Kelly in NJ is arguably the best taxidermist in the USA. Slow, expensive but perfect!

In Africa, it’s Guy Robertson who manages the creative process at Life Form, he is magical on cats and predators.

I’ve used them both, and almost everyone else major, and they are my hands down favorites.

I hear ya Catchaser and I can empathize but asking who the best X taxidermist is like herding cats. Phil Sourcey is a well renowned cat guy. So is Daniel Meng. Mark Couture does great small cats but has a rep of being unreliable etc check the internet for more. Jerry Huffaker is a great all-around taxidermist. There are others also. Some of the bigger named shops which I'm sure you are already aware of.

My point was, if they are exceptional at cats, they will be good at any cat and mostly certainly way above average for your other small predators. You are not likely to find a guy known for his great ardwolf and water mongoose alone :)
Thank you!

Jim Kelly in NJ is arguably the best taxidermist in the USA. Slow, expensive but perfect!

In Africa, it’s Guy Robertson who manages the creative process at Life Form, he is magical on cats and predators.

I’ve used them both, and almost everyone else major, and they are my hands down favorites.
Thanks!

Attached are my pictures from a fantastic trip last week in Africa. Looking for the best taxidermists to do the Caracal, Serval, Water Mongoose and Ardwolf in the United States. The problem I am running into most taxidermists have done only a hand full of these guys if any at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 420926View attachment 420927View attachment 420928View attachment 420929View attachment 420930View attachment 420931View attachment 420932View attachment 420933
Good day @Catchaser. I hope this email finds you well. Thanks for sharing your pictures, its always great to see. I thought I would take the opportunity to reply to this post and share some of the images we have of the species you have hunted, just as a guideline to the work we can create and customize for you. Out of curiosity, where are your raw trophies currently? If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. Kind regards. Guy

Caracal Fullmount  Slight Right - HH044.jpg
Caracal Fullmount with prey - HH181.jpg
Aardwolf Fullmount - GG300.jpg
Aardwolf.jpg
Serval Fullmount Combination with prey - HH190.jpg
Buffalo Pedestalmount Right Turn - GG303.jpg
Sable Shouldermount STR - GG294.jpg
Sable Shouldermount STR - GG295.jpg
White River Lifeform Sable 038.jpg

Attachments

• Serval Fullmount Custom Base - FF 105.jpeg.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 84
  • Mongoose full mount - dd 018.jpg
    18.6 MB · Views: 89
  • Nyala Fullmount Right Turn - FF 429.jpeg.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for the compliments @Rell. I hope you are well. All the very best.

Hunted the cats with dogs and got them during the day. The serval is a big cat and want to make sure he is mounted perfectly. Unofficially will be number 3 in SCI. Ardwolf should be ok to import.
You are correct about the cats. To me the face is what makes the cat that is why I am looking for examples of what is out there.

No problem on importing the arrdwolf. I imported one in 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross