Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
I have one coming in the mail. It's coming with 120 rounds of ammo. Believe it's reloaded ammo. Looking for someone that could take it apart and put new powder in. Don't know anything about the ammo. Worry about blowing up the rifle. Anyone on here do a lot of reloading and willing to work something out?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
@Ryanlo Do you mean the .404 Jeffery? I don't know what the 404F is?

If so, yes, Lonnie at Superior Ammunition will handload for the .404 Jeffery. Somewhere between $13-$17 per cartridge.

Alternatively, dies are $130 from hornady. Brass is $65 per 20 from Hornady. Large Magnum Rifle Primers are cheap. IMR4350 is $30 a pound. Woodleigh 400 Gr Weldcore bullets are $60 for 50 projectiles. All-in you can load ammunition yourself using all new components for around $6 per projectile with new brass, <$2 each for reloads.

I have one coming in the mail. It's coming with 120 rounds of ammo. Believe it's reloaded ammo. Looking for someone that could reload it. Don't know anything about the ammo. Anyone on here do a lot of reloading and willing to work something out?

Thanks for reading.

Not yet, but soon. Will have mine after SCI and hopefully get started soon after that.

@Ryanlo Do you mean the .404 Jeffery? I don't know what the 404F is?

If so, yes, Lonnie at Superior Ammunition will handload for the .404 Jeffery. Somewhere between $13-$17 per cartridge.

Alternatively, dies are $130 from hornady. Brass is $65 per 20 from Hornady. Large Magnum Rifle Primers are cheap. IMR4350 is $30 a pound. Woodleigh 400 Gr Weldcore bullets are $60 for 50 projectiles. All-in you can load ammunition yourself using all new components for around $6 per projectile with new brass, <$2 each for reloads.

Yes I meet 404 jefferys. But can't fix the post. Looking for someone to just pull the bullet off and put new powder in it. See company's that do it. But was hoping someone on here might want to work a deal

To help you out and connect with someone in your region, where are you?

The cheapest way to disassemble the ammo is to get an inertia bullet puller; a hammer looking thing into which you insert the cartridge and pound the tool against a block of wood. the momentum of the bullet from the rapid swing and sudden stop causes it to fall from the cartridge. the case is then removed from the tool and powder dumped out. You are left with a primed case, some unknown powder and a perfectly good bullet.

If you have access to a reloading press, get a bullet puller die and a collet for 44 magnum. the 44 mag bullet is .429 so the collet will fit sufficiently tight to grip the .423" bullet. It's simply putting the loaded shell in the press shell holder, raising it into the die (screwed into the press), the tightening the collet onto the bullet, lowering the case separates it from the bullet, which is being held by the collet. then you back with a primed case, some unknown powder and a useable bullet.

both processes are much simpler than the explanation. Depending on where you are, most anyone that reloads would be familiar with this process and likely would help you to dismantle the cartridges.

Thanks for the advice. I am in northwest Arkansas.

Arkansas is a bit far for me to drive from Washington State, but if you want, you can UPS the ammo to me and I'll be happy to disassemble them, discard the primer and powder and mail the cases and bullets back to you via USPS- or if you want, I can ID the bullet, reload them with known quantities of powder and UPS them back to you. the main investment would be in postage since you are supplying the expensive parts in the case and bullet. PM me if interested.

Can't you just ask the previous owner about the ammo? It could save a lot of time and trouble. Apart from that, the loads could be perfectly fine.

Ryanlo,

The guidance Ray gave reference the bullet puller is fine advise. It is easy enough to pull those bullets yourself. If you have experience hand loading for other calibers loading for the 404 Jeffery will not be an issue. I hand load for the 404 and I have load data for you. There are other sources out there now that this is a bit more of a main stream cartridge. This is an old thread so you may have worked all this out

I have posted load data below in case you are loading for your 404.

book-1.jpg
book-12.jpg
book-13.jpg
book-14.jpg
book-15.jpg
book-16.jpg
book-2.jpg
book-22.jpg

John, thanks for sharing. My 404 Jeffery is in transit at the moment, ETA is tomorrow. I will be reloading for it and have been online searching for load data. As far as I'm concerned, the more data I have from different sources the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross