Looking for outfitters

So I gotta ask a stupid question. Why no quotes in US Dollars and only the mentioned currencies. I'm sure you have a reason. I just can't figure it out and its bugging me.
Bruce
Most all hunts quoted in USD. Im puzzled as well.

Dear @JPbowhunter & @BenKK

Out if interest...
- What would you say should the hunt costs be of a safari like in the video with Stefan Fouche?
- Should it cost more, or less than a regular hunt?
- I mean, the PH & Trackers still has to putt in their time and effort, and the logistics will be harder...

I'm very curious... Because hunts like that intrigue me as well. It would be great to hear your comments.

My Best,
Jacques

Hey, good morning, Jacques! JP is tougher and more adventurous than me! When I go to Africa I very much enjoy and appreciate the hunting lodge experience. I don’t think I’m up for a backpacking hunt, to be honest. Maybe one night, someday, but not a priority for me. I can’t speak for JP but my perspective is that the daily rate for a backpacking hunt ought to remain the same, as the costs of running a business don’t diminish just because the team is away from the main house / lodge / camp. Cheers, Ben

Most all hunts quoted in USD. Im puzzled as well.

Good morning, Philip. A little below that question we gave an Australian perspective on currencies. You’re right, most hunts are quoted in USD. Nobody has to oblige Australians and offer a quote in AUD, for sure. But it is appreciated in tough economic times and can take some of the stress out of it for guys like me who have to struggle with each penny saved. It might not be feasible or worthwhile for some outfitters to do this, but I can think of two outfitters who make a habit of this and win repeat clients from Australia. I’ve hunted with neither. My PH on my last trip was kind enough to offer me a quote in AUD, which helped immensely. Again, it’s not an obligation, but it is appreciated and can be an important consideration for us. I think USD is obviously the most common currency for international hunters, followed by the Euro then perhaps CAD. Cheers, Ben

Jacques, my apologies. My answer above was given imagining a backpacking hunt on the same property where the main facilities are. I imagine that if the backpacking hunt is more involved and complex, perhaps taking place many hundreds of kilometres away, the daily rate may have to increase. If you’re on one of those massive Namibian conservancies, how do you take care of what you shoot? Where is the nearest cool room you can access?

Well you outlined exactly what you want. I did the same requesting a cull hunt with the full safari experience.
I was made many offers and accepted a package that was tailored to suit.
Hats off to the many outfitters who did make offers and respond to questions.
In about 8 weeks time I will be able to report on my once in a lifetime African adventure. And a full report on my cull hunt and PH.
My PH knows what I want . I asked up front like you.
I want the experience , the memories and the photos. They get to process the and utilise the meat however they want.
My wife gets to spend her wedding anniversary in Africa.
I win!
Looking forward to my time at Game4Africa safaris.

Just talking to a mate returning to Namibia for his fourth trip (not with an outfitter here at AH) and he always pays AUD.

He’s talking to a free-range guy in Zambia who is also putting something together in AUD.

Thanks for the comments @BenKK

Yes, if we were to offer such camping/old-style safaris we would surely not hunt close to home, but rather pack two land cruisers with camping gear and cooling facilities for the meat.

My opinion would be that the prices would slightly increase because of the logistics and potential equipment expenditure increase.

This is a fun discussion.

My Best
Jacques

@JPbowhunter, any thoughts on hunting Zambia? I’m quite certain you could do what you’re looking for here.
If you’re interested, I can ask around.

Good morning, Philip. A little below that question we gave an Australian perspective on currencies. You’re right, most hunts are quoted in USD. Nobody has to oblige Australians and offer a quote in AUD, for sure. But it is appreciated in tough economic times and can take some of the stress out of it for guys like me who have to struggle with each penny saved. It might not be feasible or worthwhile for some outfitters to do this, but I can think of two outfitters who make a habit of this and win repeat clients from Australia. I’ve hunted with neither. My PH on my last trip was kind enough to offer me a quote in AUD, which helped immensely. Again, it’s not an obligation, but it is appreciated and can be an important consideration for us. I think USD is obviously the most common currency for international hunters, followed by the Euro then perhaps CAD. Cheers, Ben
There have been many times I would have been better if my hunt was quoted in Rand!

@JPbowhunter, any thoughts on hunting Zambia? I’m quite certain you could do what you’re looking for here.
If you’re interested, I can ask around.

I don't think those types of countries are within my means otherwise I would certainly consider them.

I specifically stated that this was not to be a debate thread because I know what I want and...well that's it.

Seeing as it keeps coming up and although ben has answered it earlier I don't want USD quotes because I'm not American. And the exchange rate makes every hunt cost around 50% more when converted to my currency with no signs our economy is going to swing around in the next couple of years. For people with bad math that means a $5,000 USD hunt for me would cost around $7,500 or a $10,000 one would be $15,000. When I book a hunt I want to know what it will cost me and local currencies have been stable the last couple of years with a reasonable exchange rate.

I hope this settles the debate.

I specifically stated that this was not to be a debate thread because I know what I want and...well that's it.

Seeing as it keeps coming up and although ben has answered it earlier I don't want USD quotes because I'm not American. And the exchange rate makes every hunt cost around 50% more when converted to my currency with no signs our economy is going to swing around in the next couple of years. For people with bad math that means a $5,000 USD hunt for me would cost around $7,500 or a $10,000 one would be $15,000. When I book a hunt I want to know what it will cost me and local currencies have been stable the last couple of years with a reasonable exchange rate.

I hope this settles the debate.
Good explanation. I feel the same being Canadian. Another part of Safari, watching currency exchange rates, then wondering, worrying if rate goes up or down. First payment on next hunt I lost about $500 because week later US rate went down. This after many weeks looking at rate, trends and asking. Just never know. I do know NEVER to use a Canadian bank, exchange company saved me $800 on next payment.

Not so long ago I saw a TV show doing exactly what you wanted for a hunt. They were backpacking thru the Namib desert, hunting eland and a gemsbuck/oryx. Good luck and remember your first safari will not be your last. Pandoras box has opened.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross