Looking for opinions on buying a rifle like this....Gunbroker

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
MT, OH
First, I have been shopping a 458 Lott hard. I ended up ordering from MRC. Can’t wait to see it!....but,

I was looking at this rifle too.... Customized CZ550

What do you think about this rifle in particular? I’ll give you a hint...It kind of looks like an AHR conversion, but it is not. I confirmed that. They may have done some work on it.

Maybe another thread, but what do you think about buying this type of rifle sight unseen? I’m in this position because locally there is nothing at all like this. You are lucky to see a bolt rifle on the shelves.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.17.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.17.37 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.17.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.17.41 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.17.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.17.48 AM.png
    410 KB · Views: 169
That looks to be a really nice rifle.

I looked really hard for a 416 Rem mag. I found a M 70 Winchester on GB where the seller said it was manufactured in mid 1990s. Pics didn't show bolt in a way that showed if it was controlled round feed or push. I took his word as 1992 was reintroduction of controlled round feed. Seller had excellent feedback.

Long story short, rifle was push feed, "synthetic stock" was painted wood. Scope on the rifle had front objective lens broken during shipment.

Seller was hard to deal with. Claimed no responsibility for damage to scope. Packing in my opinion was not adequate for shipping. Seller finally refunded purchase price minus what he valued the scope. I was of course out shipping both ways.

I ended up buying a 416 Rigby that was a pre owned custom rifle built on a Dakota action. I found it on Guns International. Seller was in an adjoining state, but close enough to drive over to check it in person. Rifle was built for a person well over six feet. I am six foot and it fit like a glove. I purchased it and had it shipped to my local FFL to save paying sales tax.

Hood for front sight was flattened out during shipment. I straightened it best I could, may make a new one at some point.

Moral is that I have bought guns on both sights and had good luck. I will not be buying many used guns I can't handle before I buy from here on.

Looked at the cz and it said sold....so you either bought it or missed out...
Looked like a nice bit of work. Hope you got it.

Nice Rifle,, Never had a problem with Gunbroker, the majority of the products I bought on Gunbroker were actually better than described

A but if advice for buying "nice" guns through the mail. I have bought and sold through gun broker through the years. Unless they are truly cheap guns, or same as new in a factory box, insist the owner places the rifle in a gun sock or bore stor and a $25.00 Plano type case, then in the shipping box. Pay the extra to insure the gun arrives without any surprises. Same if you send a gun to a smith for work.

i would shoot it first before changing the bedding, it may be a tack driver as is.

it might group ok, but it WILL shift zero with the weather.
rule no 1. float barrels, and only bed the receiver ring and recoil lug, and tang area, with the rest of action floating.
in anything like a decent stock, a better zero will be maintained.
bruce.

Looked at the cz and it said sold....so you either bought it or missed out...

It sold 7/15, five days ago. Not sure if the OP is looking for affirmation but too late here if he was the buyer.

Thought I explained myself well, but what happened was I ended up ordering new from MRC.

I had followed this rifle for about 1 mo on gunbroker and spoke to the seller several times. I also spoke to the owner selling it on consignment. I also called AHR as I thought it was a conversion of theirs...

Based on the info, if accurate, it was a custom with work by several gunsmiths and the owner.

I was sure it would be a great rifle, but 4 things held me back...no inspection period at my FFL, shipping was in a box/uninsured(I could have paid to insure and maybe for a case), rifle was not a single gunsmith build and high 4% cc fee.

Basically, it looked like a great gun, but how could I be responsible if it didn’t look like in the pictures? What if the fit as terrible for me? Why would you ship a custom rifle and expect the buyer to own whatever arrived? Sometimes things break open the box, sometimes usps loses things, sometimes.....

All that said, I truly believe if it arrived in one piece, that the buyer received a hell of a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg