AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Good day all, I am in the process of planning a DG hunt for 2018 and have a few questions in that regard:
1) I am undecided on whether to hunt for Cape buffalo or Lion, which would be the best for a newbie to DG hunting.
2) Does SA have free range DG
3) What other African countries should I be considering?
4) I will be in Vegas for the SCI conference so I would be open to talking with any hunters or outfitters regarding DG hunting in Africa.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Good day sir. South Africa has some excellent free range dangerous game. I would suggest buff. I will attend SCI, although I don't have a booth. You are welcome to PM me if you would like to meet up.
Enjoy your research.

1) I am undecided on whether to hunt for Cape buffalo or Lion, which would be the best for a newbie to DG hunting.

Many more options for Buffalo than Lion. Especially Wild/Free range

Yes. There are some large properties, some abut parks.

Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Benin.

Good day sir. South Africa has some excellent free range dangerous game. I would suggest buff. I will attend SCI, although I don't have a booth. You are welcome to PM me if you would like to meet up.
Enjoy your research.
Thanks for the reply, I will get in touch once I get my Vegas schedule together ( check with my cruise director/ wife)

Many more options for Buffalo than Lion. Especially Wild/Free range

Yes. There are some large properties, some abut parks.

Thanks BRICKBURN, just curious about the free range in South Africa as there seem to be a lot of game breeders there and the prices their bulls are demanding at auction are astronomical. I had been on a PG hunt a couple years back on a property that had a breeding herd and they were more like our cattle. I guess I just want to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
@cls Pieter can hook you up. Walked up on this guy on a hunt!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks BRICKBURN, just curious about the free range in South Africa as there seem to be a lot of game breeders there and the prices their bulls are demanding at auction are astronomical. I had been on a PG hunt a couple years back on a property that had a breeding herd and they were more like our cattle. I guess I just want to be sure.

Auction prices have nothing to do with hunting. Those are breeding animals. Skip the news coverage of stupid prices and focus on hunt offers and Outfitter price lists.

There are several Outfitters here on AH operating in RSA that would be more than happy to take you onto their own LARGE properties with self sustaining herds and there are also those with Concession access inside the APNR (Associated private nature reserves) beside KNP where there are self sustaining herds.

In the end Buffalo are like cattle. They smell like them and in many respects behave like them no matter where they are located.

Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Mozambique all have significant WILD Buffalo herds. Some larger than others.

Auction prices have nothing to do with hunting. Those are breeding animals. Skip the news coverage of stupid prices and focus on hunt offers and Outfitter price lists.

There are several Outfitters here on AH operating in RSA that would be more than happy to take you onto their own LARGE properties with self sustaining herds and there are also those with Concession access inside the APNR (Associated private nature reserves) beside KNP where there are self sustaining herds.

In the end Buffalo are like cattle. They smell like them and in many respects behave like them no matter where they are located.

Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Mozambique all have significant WILD Buffalo herds. Some larger than others.
Thank you

Hi Chuck

Short write up of our Gonarezhou operation in Zimbabwe.

JWK Safaris offer hunts in 4 different concessions in the general area of the Gonarezhou. They are Naivaisha, Malipati, Sengwe 1 and Sengwe 2 and are in my opinion the best hunting concessions in Zimbabwe.

The Gonarezhou safari areas are each a part of a 300,000 hectare concession that borders on the Gona Re Zhou National Park of Zimbabwe in the Southern Lowveld and adjoined to Kruger Park.

The Gona Re Zhou is part of the Trans Frontier Park and is open between the Kruger Park and the Mozambique national parks, the name Gona Re Zhou means “place of many elephants” in these concession’s we hunt trophy elephant bulls and trophy buffalo bulls, the area is also very good for leopard and sable. We do get limited lion on quota.

This is about as free range, fair chase as you can.

Have a look at some of our 2016 concession trophies here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/jwk-safaris-concession-hunting-trophies-2016.28690/

Gonarezhou Safari Areas Map:
gonarezhou-map.jpeg

and poof, the AH Outfitter Sponsors come to the fore.

Good day all, I am in the process of planning a DG hunt for 2018 and have a few questions in that regard:
4) I will be in Vegas for the SCI conference so I would be open to talking with any hunters or outfitters regarding DG hunting in Africa.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Hi cls

1) do a buff first
2) yes, but normally you have to look north for that
3) Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique and Namibia
4) Come by our booth (4675) and you can have a chat about hunting buffalo in Namibia's Caprivi strip or on our 40 000 acre private reserve in South Africa. While you are in that corner of the hall, you might as well also talk to Buzz or Myles of Chalton and McCullum Safaris about a hunt in Zim.

1.jpg
2.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
9a (1).JPG
20161122_165853.jpg
20161122_172014-1.jpg
IMG-20160415-WA0029.jpg

Reactions: cls

Great advice in this thread and I'd like to add on to Brickburn's list, or clarify rather.

To me personally, "free range " also means remote. And if you're the same then these countries deserve even more consideration.

Reactions: cls
Hi cls

1) do a buff first
2) yes, but normally you have to look north for that
3) Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique and Namibia
4) Come by our booth (4675) and you can have a chat about hunting buffalo in Namibia's Caprivi strip or on our 40 000 acre private reserve in South Africa. While you are in that corner of the hall, you might as well also talk to Buzz or Myles of Chalton and McCullum Safaris about a hunt in Zim.

View attachment 169152 View attachment 169153 View attachment 169154 View attachment 169155 View attachment 169156 View attachment 169157 View attachment 169158 View attachment 169159 View attachment 169160
Thanks, will drop by for a chat on Friday.
Chuck

A hunt in the APNR, South Africa for free range buffalo or elephant, is one of the best areas in Africa today. With huge numbers of buffalo. Except for the excellent hunting experience, the APNR also produces some of the best trophy quality in the industry!

Talk to @CAustin and Pieter from Paw Print safaris, or Marius at KMG safaris who have access to a private concession in the APNR. They are both outfitters here on AH as well.
31.JPG
photo.JPG
sey (2).JPG
DSC_0017 2.JPG
DSC_0052.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG

A hunt in the APNR, South Africa for free range buffalo or elephant, is one of the best areas in Africa today. With huge numbers of buffalo. Except for the excellent hunting experience, the APNR also produces some of the best trophy quality in the industry!

Talk to @CAustin and Pieter from Paw Print safaris, or Marius at KMG safaris who have access to a private concession in the APNR. They are both outfitters here on AH as well.
View attachment 169208View attachment 169209View attachment 169210View attachment 169211View attachment 169212View attachment 169213
Thanks HeinrichH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg