Looking for good checked bag for safari travels

Badlands TerraGlide, if you can find one.
It has zippers, a big negative in the days of rampant theft.
And it's over the 62" requirement. They may not check this, but being hit for the "freight" charge at a cost of $200 per flight can add up quickly.

I'll stick with my Pelican cases. I'm currently out on a business trip and using the Protector 1560. Awesome every time.

Any recommendations on some good checked bag luggage that can meet these criteria?

Main Criteria:
1 - Durable, want this to last for many trips over next 10-15 years.
2 - Must be within airline size limits, adding up all LxWxD must be 62" or under
3 - Must be waterproof itself or have a easily packable rain cover for it
4 - Prefer it to have wheels
5- Looking for more soft sided, not after a 4 wheel spinner hard case

I had a duffel that worked great in most ways on the last trip. Its already showing a bunch of wear after LHR & JNB baggage handling so not sure if it has more than 2 more trips in it before coming apart. I also regretted it not having any sort of rain cover or waterproof exterior when our drive back to PLZ was in the rain with all luggage in back of pickup.

Looked at something like the Eberlestock Hercules though it's too big at 76" all up. Their Atlas is just within size limits but looking for other options to consider as well.
I have traveled the globe, small countries and airports to the monsters. I have used many of the bags mentioned, I have used the high dollar ones and "tactical" ones. All have failed me with bad zippers, damaged wheels or just total failure of the bag itself. The only bag that I have used that has lasted and it has indeed lasted many years now is the bag listed below. ebags Mother Load!!! I have even purchased the smaller units as well and all are durable and tough enough for any hunting trip.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-28 171303.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-28 171303.png
    439.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it is a great peace of mind to know your luggage is nearby. I have them in my gun case and Pelican Air 1615.

View attachment 502539
I did the same thing, after you had suggested it. One in my carry-on, one in my ammo case, one in my gun case, one in my checked luggage. (Tip: As the ammo case would be checked often, and I knew certain officials would be counting rounds one by one, I taped the AirTag to the back of the munition tray, inside a munition box, instead of taping it to the inside of the pelican. This to avoid stupid questions and even more stupid reactions "it is not allowed to track")

However I was disappointed in how infrequent the location updates were. During the departure flights, I was boarding, then in the air, with the bags "supposedly still at the check in hall". Same thing when arriving in Johannesburg. At some point my checked luggage was not to be found on the carroussel, but instead had been delivered with the guncase at the oversized corner. Only when I already had it in my posession, did it update from it's location in Brussels.

There must not be as many people around with iPhones I suppose.

I do see a big advantage, if the luggage ever get's lost. At least at some point it will update the location and then it can be of help in finding it back.

I travelled quite a bit in the last 10 years around africa. I often take cameras in a pelican case (undamaged so far).

I work with 2 thoughts for travel in Africa:

1/ anything of any value better go in carry on. Luggage handlers have access to x-ray machines and wrapping machines etc. If I need to check a knife or whatever, I will make sure it is a cheap item that I wont miss much.

2/ Make it as hard as possible for someone to get into your luggage. Anything is possible but generally a thief will want easy access. Zippers are easy to pop open, just take something like a pen forced between the zipper.Bags can be cut with scissors-all available in an airport.One would imagine that a guy would risk being caught if he takes an angle grinder to a bag log.

3/`Cloth bags that pass through baggage handling are unlikely to remain waterproof. Hard cases may not even make it through unbroken but you have a chance. Every cloth bag/suitcase I have used gets worn through in random places, sometimes on the first trip.

I just use a pretty cheap bag or hardcase for clothes. If someone wants to steal my worn shoes or underwear, I think they will be disappointed. I then have a lockable hard suitcase for a little more security-it would be rain proof if packed flat.It has locked catches all around and overlaps so would be pretty hard to get into.Secure check in -I use a pelican case with a big padlock-not a luggage lock. If they want to get in, they may do so with a big pry bar or angle grinder. They often stick a red sticker on the pelican-that alerts customs to ask me to open it up but I have always found them pretty pleasant when they check over my camera kit before deciding it is old and worn. They are mostly worried about customs duties etc.

Seems that the more worn, dirty and rough checked luggage gets a pass from the would be thief…they can not imagine anything of value in something so worn. The Versace, Filson, Orvis just scream…open me first..anything of value save for ammo, goes into my carry on back pack…went thru EWR last year with a Leupold scope in my carry on, when the young TSA girl asked what it was..I replied..a rifle scope….whoa…should have seen and heard the reaction…a supervisor came over, settled her down, smiled and waved me on.

I use my Filson duffle bag with rollers and been very pleased on how tuff it is. On the plane as a carry on I take my Filson carry on bag just in case my duffle get lost. I have a change of hunting clothes, boots, any meds, camera , important papers, etc.

Filson looks nice. I'm not looking to spend $700 on a checked bag though. It's also 4" over the airline size limit for checked bags so if packed full you could get additional baggage fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.