Looking for Fair Chase Gemsbok With Bow?

dustyvarmint

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
I'm looking for information on fair chase gemsbok hunting in Africa?

I know fair chase can have lots of meanings, but for me I am looking for no feed troughs and no fences no matter how large the containment area is. Game cameras are fine, waterholes fine, but spot & stalk is preferred.

Is this even possible with a bow?

thanks and happy hunting, dv

Its possible but you will need a lot of time your biggest problem is the words no fences on open land no one maintain water holes and if you are going to go on free range land like Damara in Namibia you will have a hell of a time getting close to gemsbuck so ambush will be the best and that is where you will need plenty of time to kill.

Now if would consider fences there is some places in the kalahari dunes that you could stalk your gemsbuck and use the dunes as cover.

I think Zimbabwe has some gemsbuck with limited quota as well in the South West corner but dont know if its on privae land or not.
Realistically go find a large place in the kalahari of 20 000 acres plus I have never heard of a farmer there feed gemsbuck ever.

I've seen lots of places in Namibia (cattle farms) where there are plenty of gemsbok and no high fences or feeders. I will be a very tough challenge to get close enough with a bow but as long as you take enough time it will be possible.

I hunted in Namibia last year with Reveille and they have several low fence farms with tons of gemsok. Both of our gemsbok were taken on low fence farms, but not with bow. It could have been done, but we were hunting so hard for a leopard we didn't have the time to put in. He also had great red hartabeast, springbok, steinbok, warthog, and kudu on these low fence farms.

Last edited:
Eden Wildlife Safaris near Grootfontein, Namibia was pretty well set up for bow hunters and they had lots of gemsbuck when I was there in 2007. The area is fenced however only on the perimeter of the 60,000 acres. The only time you see a fence is going in and going out. Its a fantastic place and Jamy Traut is a fun guy to hunt with. Gemsbuck is along with eland perhaps the best tablefare in Africa or anywhere else for that matter.

Dusty
The no fence bit could present a problem, but any thing is possible. I harvested a 42" old nag in south africa. After the cape was in the salt we went up the mountain to view the concession, and were able to see hundreds of a ClownFace feeding in the plains and foothills. I am a wheelchair user and hunted over a water hole. However an able body could walk stalk a dandy. As far as fences I would like to mention this conssesion is 70000 Hca. Is that a fence worth worrying about? If you would like to give it a shot, I can hook you up?

Piet

There certainly are places and outfitters who do cater towards the bow hunter looking to stalk game and hunt by fair chase asopposed to sitting over a waterhole. I was very fortunate to take the (unofficial) new SCI world record Gemsbuck with FM Safaris. Pleae click the link below for the full review.

http://www.africahunting.com/bowhunting-africa/3651-hunting-report-fm-safaris.html

Regards,

Engee Potgieter
African Outfitter Magazine

Hallo i am an Namibian PH with bow hunting license in the country and can help you to get and Gemsbok with a bow on fair chase.
You can contact me by email.

Thank you
Gert van der Walt

Thank you to all the offers of hunting services on this thread, but it was actually meant as an information request on methods and experiences vice a solicitation of services - hence its original posting in the bowhunting section.

If anyone does have any specific experiences, methods or stories about fair chase gemsbok with a bow I sure would like to hear them.

thanks and happy hunting, dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!