Looking for apprenticeship job

charlesarnette

Reaction score
Hunted
Zambia
Hello all,

I am a college student living in Alabama and Texas. I am interested in being a PH after college. I am looking for a job this summer, working for a PH. Since I am looking to learn the craft, I am willing to work for nothing. I just want to be in Africa and get experience. If anyone knows an outfitter looking for something like this, please let me know.

Hello all,

I am a college student living in Alabama and Texas. I am interested in being a PH after college. I am looking for a job this summer, working for a PH. Since I am looking to learn the craft, I am willing to work for nothing. I just want to be in Africa and get experience. If anyone knows an outfitter looking for something like this, please let me know.
I don’t personally know of any…but I wish you the best in your endeavor. Hapoy adventures and welcome to AH. Sue

:S Welcome: Good luck with your search

I had two college friends who did exactly what you want to do about 18 years ago. Both went to South Africa. I think one only lasted less than a year, then got a job that paid a lot better, the other ended up in Zambia, I think guiding photographic safaris.

I have only seen them once in the intervening period. I think it was a lot harder than they expected, but rewarding and I really hope it goes well for you.

I think that they mentioned that Zimbabwe offered the best training but you needed to apply for citizenship to qualify and South Africa was more accessible. I might be wrong on this though, it was a long time ago.

Hello charlesarnette,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you have time, take a look into our web site.
We sometimes take on a helper or two who, are given various tasks, in and out of camp.
It is an excellent way to live in and work for a safari lodge or camp.
I’m not sure about the PH Trainee idea but it cannot hurt to ask.

Please know that I am not in any position of authority with Khomas and so, you will need to speak with the Owner, Philip Hennings about this.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

I can't help much but to advise you to start learning one or two different languages that they speak in the area that you plan to go to. My last PH could talk 4 languages. Afrikaans, Zulu, German, and English.

Hello Charles, probably the most grueling PH path you could undertake would be in Zimbabwe, it is around five years of learning and slog, but lots of fun too. You earn next to nothing, and thereafter it isn't a money tree either. I have no idea about the criteria to get into Zimbabwe.
South Africa is less onerous, but probably easier to get a foothold there if someone would sponsor you.

Giday Charles and welcome to the A H forums.

Hello all,

Pm sent

Welcome to AH charlesarnette!

I sure hope this works out for the young man. Knowing what I know today at the age of 50 I would have definitely tried to have done this 25-30 years ago. Good luck and keep the board posted.

Welcome! Sounds like quite an adventure for you! Looking forward to hearing more!

I sure hope this works out for the young man. Knowing what I know today at the age of 50 I would have definitely tried to have done this 25-30 years ago. Good luck and keep the board posted.
I tried 25-30 years ago, before email and the internet, I wrote letter after letter to Zim, Botswana, SA, Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania game departments, the few that wrote back essentially told me to pound sand. With that said, and with my experience now, I would just move over there and start meeting people and make it happen. I don't mean to discourage, just don't take no for an answer like I did.'

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!