Looking for an Elk hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting USA & Canada' started by GA Hunter, Nov 28, 2018.

1. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Recently I've been considering an elk hunt for 2020. I won't be able to make it to DSC or SCI this year so I thought it would be a good idea to come here and poll the group knowing many of us do more than just hunt Africa. Any and all input is welcome so please chime in.
    • Prefer a wilderness hunt. Pack in on horseback, tents, etc.
    • Not looking for a world record just a good representative bull.
    • I don't have a preference for where, other than to say I want to keep it in the US unless there is a compelling reason to go to Canada.
    • Secondary species or activities would be nice but certainly not a deal breaker if nothing else is available. I know that states like Idaho allow you to hunt 4 or 5 different species if you are willing to buy a tag for them.
    Thanks in advance!!
    BD

2. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Call John Porter at Morning Creek Outfitters in WY. I hunted bighorn sheep with him and saw a lot of elk. 6 years ago their average on elk was close to a 350 bull which is darn good. His camp is around a 7 mile pack in if I remember correctly.
    Bruce

3. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Thank you Sir. Will reach out to him and see what he has to offer.
    BD

4. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Good advice from Bruce. Another choice, if your budget allows it, consider a CWMU tag purchase thru a guide and outfitter in Utah. These are a great way to hunt elk in the 350-400 inch range without a 20 year wait for preference points. Access fees added to guide fees can total well north of 20K.....(Mossback Outfitters, good rep)...but it is often more expensive to hunt in the USA or Canada than it is in Africa.........good luck with whatever you choose........FWB

5. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)

6. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Be really, really careful with Idaho if it's anywhere the wolves are now. I did this exact hunt (horseback pack-in) this fall and IMO the wolves had decimated the game population. I'm afraid that many areas of Idaho are living off of past reputation and not current numbers/results.

I didn't see a single shootable animal of any species, and I wasn't the only one. Yes the weather was hot when I was there, but it was more than that in my opinion, and in the opinion of the guides (outfitter told me it was weather and "that's hunting").

GA Hunter likes this.

7. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for all the input. Looking into all options mentioned. And tip toeing through the Idaho options I’ve already contacted.

Royal27 likes this.