Looking For A Winchester Model 70 Safari 416 Remington

t-rags

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
DSC
I’m actively looking for a Winchester model 70 chambered in 416 Remington. Thanks!

Actually bought one this evening off of gunbroker; thank you to all that contributed in helping me find this rifle. I am in the process of looking for reloading dies. They seem to be pretty inexpensive on midsouthshootingsupply but I am always willing to use whatever anyone would like to sell off. Very much appreciative of all the help and considerations that this forum has done so far. Thank you all again! :)

It is impossible to find a new one in stock anywhere. I wonder if Covid has the factory in Portugal shut down. Does anyone have an idea when these might start showing back up? Thank you.

It is impossible to find a new one in stock anywhere. I wonder if Covid has the factory in Portugal shut down. Does anyone have an idea when these might start showing back up? Thank you.
A batch just came out about 5 weeks ago. They hit the market and were gone in a flash. I bought one out of Oklahoma from an outfitter but I saw them here in Texas at my loca shop a week later for sale; they all sold fast. I just went online to be notified when they would be available and wait for the email notification. I was able to purchase one this way and they are worth it! Sweet shooter and beautiful rifle! I was so impressed with the quality I purchased a super grade in 300 win mag too. Beautiful rifles! Just be patient and they’ll come around again.

Reactions: JHT
Obviously the Win 70 in 416 Rem is finally gaining some traction in the “community” :)

I have two of them but both from just prior to FN. Both excellent shooters, absolutely reliable function and IMO the smoothest factory bolt action out there for that class of cartridge. Will cycle ANY bullet profile with any OAL flawlessly if the OAL fits in the magazine box. My only criticism of the FN Win 70 is the MOA trigger because it has no long term history of hard field use. I had an FN Win 70 in a different caliber, for a while, and the MOA trigger worked fine with no complaints. I suppose the lawyers drove the change to the MOA design and the near perfect and elegantly engineered simplicity of the original M70 trigger didn’t impress them.

To find a new one or NOS model or even a used in new condition New Haven model... patience and beating the internet bushes with dedicated searches will usually yield results. The last M70 I purchased was found that way in the inventory of a high end gun dealer who specializes in 5 and 6 figure firearms— just never know where an individual rifle may be hiding. Good luck!

Obviously the Win 70 in 416 Rem is finally gaining some traction in the “community” :)

I have two of them but both from just prior to FN. Both excellent shooters, absolutely reliable function and IMO the smoothest factory bolt action out there for that class of cartridge. Will cycle ANY bullet profile with any OAL flawlessly if the OAL fits in the magazine box. My only criticism of the FN Win 70 is the MOA trigger because it has no long term history of hard field use. I had an FN Win 70 in a different caliber, for a while, and the MOA trigger worked fine with no complaints. I suppose the lawyers drove the change to the MOA design and the near perfect and elegantly engineered simplicity of the original M70 trigger didn’t impress them.

To find a new one or NOS model or even a used in new condition New Haven model... patience and beating the internet bushes with dedicated searches will usually yield results. The last M70 I purchased was found that way in the inventory of a high end gun dealer who specializes in 5 and 6 figure firearms— just never know where an individual rifle may be hiding. Good luck!
Would you prefer a 2005 New Haven to the new ones assembled in Portugal? I am hearing good things on the imports. Thank you.

Would you prefer a 2005 New Haven to the new ones assembled in Portugal? I am hearing good things on the imports. Thank you.
Personally, yes, Not that the post 2006 Win 70s assembled elsewhere are bad or that outsourced parts are bad... in and of themselves. I don't think in the open market, at some later date they will carry the value of the New Haven product. For current use and reliable. service, not taking the future potential value into consideration, my only criticism is the MOA trigger. The original trigger design simply cannot be improved upon for a hard use, hunting rifle. There is simply no track record for such use with the MOA (box) trigger. Most rifles over a lifetime of hard, many times use in dirty conditions, will accumulate hidden internal crud. The box trigger design is a trap for such accumulation. Every box trigger, no matter the brand, is prone to it.

As to the current FN 70. I have some experience with one in a different caliber. I hear and read all the chatter about the superior fit and consistency of CNC parts and assemblies as opposed to some of the inconsistencies of the old belt driven machines and hand set tooling being used at the New Haven factory. That may be true to some degree but both systems of manufacture require skilled human oversight. A CNC machine, developing tool wear or run-out, under the control of a less than attentive computer jock that may have limited hands on machining skills in the gun manufacturing business, will be pretty consistent in the inconsistency. :) No matter the method of manufacture, it still takes a skilled, experienced person to constantly monitor and re-set when necessary. The FN Win 70 I had was not bad in fit and function but neither was it obviously superior. Matter of fact in bolt and lug fit, it wasn't quite as good as most pre-FN M 70s I've had. The difference wasn't great, but by feel, it was discernible. It was no more accurate than any particular Win 70 I've owned and shot, including many pre- and post-64 models up to the ones produced in the late New Haven period (about 2000-2006).

I guess the bottom line is, IMO, if you can find a new or lightly used, top shape FN at the correct price get it and enjoy it. If you find a late New Haven that is only lightly used and in good shape at the correct price get it and enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!