Looking for a Leopard bow hunt opportunity

RChunter

Reaction score
Hello,

This is a question for outfitters and hunters. I returned from Dries Visser in September it was awesome!

Next year 4th of July week is my time frame I would like to bow hunt leopard. I would like to know if anyone has accomplished this feat? Are there countries which are better to get the tags seems difficult in SA but possible.

What sort of deals are out there? Are my time frame available?

Did you talk to Dries about this. Although i am sure there are other people that offer it, he is the only outfit i know off right off hand. I know they have guided some dangerous game hunts outside of RSA.

i guess this is my question the permit seems really iffy in RSA. Wondering if it is easier to go out of the country if there are places with less red tape around the hunt.

Bowhunting Leopard or dangerous game in SA is legal only in some provinces. Trophy hunting may take place at night in all provinces and is allowed with artificial light, provided that the hunter was granted a night hunting permit. Unless the landowner has an exemption, this night hunting permit is only given on special request, after the hunter has clearly stipulated the reason for night hunting, in most instance Leopard hunting over bait at night. Rarely will they grant you the right to hunt at night for other reasons. SA records show that about 60 percent of all Leopards are taken in the Limpopo province with another 25 percent being hunted in the North West province. The South African outfitters who specialize in bowhunting and particularly bowhunting Leopards will often have bowhunters on a waiting list awaiting for a Leopard tag.

If you end up going to SA for your Leopard I would suggest heading there to increase your chances at taking one during the later part of the hunting season, June to September, as it is better for bowhunting since it is drier. This is true for several reasons, during these months of the hunting season the vegetation is not as dense, the grass has thinned out and is not as tall which makes Leopard easier to see. Another reason is that water availability is also much more limited during this time of the year, making the possibility to encounter one from a hide at a waterhole a lot more probable. Their territories are often located in areas where there is a rich supply of wild game and water. Leopard prey on a variety of species from game birds to larger antelopes but also a lot on the young of larger antelopes. Therefore hunting them during the later part of the year, as the young from that year have grown up, makes food availability more challenging as the easy prey is no longer available thus increasing a lot the traffic at the bait. Earlier in the year a Leopard will hit the bait every few days, with much irregularity as to later on in the year when a Leopard can frequent and hit a bait more on a daily or every other day basis.

You should also look at doing your Leopard in Mozambique.

When it comes to any and all dangerous game there is just one name that I trust in the industry, contact Juan Pace of Shangwari Africa Safaris.

shangwariafrica@yahoo.com

Proffesional service backed by excellent consessions.

Engee Potgieter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg