Looking for a hunt in Ethiopia

ssglong83

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Just some quick backstory, I'm on active duty in the US Army and I'm currently stationed in Ethiopia. I'm an avid hunter in the Pacific Northwest back home. But now I find myself here and missing yet another hunting season. Anyways, we're authorized a four day pass halfway through our tour and instead of being force fed an MWR trip, I'd like to go for a hunt here.

Now, I now the cost is dependant on what I want to hunt here. All I'm looking for is a deer like creature. Maybe something bigger than a bushbuck, but not as huge as a nyala!

A few questions first. Is four days enough for a hunting trip here? There'll be two travel days bookending the 96 hours. Also, since I'm away from home will it be possible to rent a rifle for the hunt? And what is a ballpark figure I should expect to spend?

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried emailing a couple of outfitters, but I never got a response back.
Thanks guys,
Steve

My best guess would be to fly to South Africa and hunt. I don't think it's cheap at all to hunt in Ethiopia. In RSA, depending on how much time you had to hunt, based on air travel, maybe you could hunt impala, springbok, blesbok, gemsbok, wildebeest, warthogs, zebra, kudu....etc. If you were open to hunting anything, you should get some hunting in, but I have no idea on the airline schedule.

I agree that RSA or perhaps Namibia. Keep the travel time as short as possible to maximize the hunting time. Several outfitters on here should be able to help. renting a rifle should be easy. Good idea. As to cost. That will depend on the animals you shoot. Blesbuck, Impala and Springbuck are all fairly cheap. A Kudu is going to cost more. A Nyala or Lechwe is even more. Find the outfitter and study his list. Make a priority list of those you want. The trophy fees plus the daily fees plus a tip is what you initially budget for. Then there is the dip and ship plus taxidermy. Get quotes so you know what it will cost.
It would be nice to hunt Ethiopia with being stationed there. Not a lot f hunting operations there. Limits your choice and they may just not be interested in a short 1 animal hunt for you. LOTS of choices in RSA and Namibia so they are more likely to help you out. Thanks for your service and good luck. Bruce

If you could find someone to take you in Ethiopia I wouldnt doubt that the day rates would cost nearly as much as flying to SA and hunting several economical species.

When do you want to do this?

I am heading into the DRC in a couple of weeks with the Canadian Army and have been looking at the same thing, even though i am booked in RSA next summer. If you have 4 days leave and flight time, you could make it happen, especially for plains game. Let me know how it works out as i will likely try the same thing come mid tour. Good luck on the rest of the tour.

So here is the depressing news and probably why no outfitter is getting back to you.

I have found an outfitter that states there is a Minimum number of days: 15. per Government Regs.
I can not confirm this one.

Check out the table of License Fees, all to be paid in advance. Never mind adding any government conservation fee 100 US/day, export fees, etc and the outfitters still has to make a living.

eg. A bird hunting license is 1000USD
Greater Kudu License 2700 USD
Mountain Reedbuck 1000 USD

Here is the link to Hunting Proclamation
http://www.ewca.gov.et/sites/default/files/163-2008 Wildlife Regulation English.Hedar 05.pdf

Attachments

• 163-2008 Wildlife Regulation English.Hedar 05.pdf
    506.4 KB · Views: 341
The only Ehtiopian outfitter worth it is Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris, Nassos and jason Roussos. They are the best and consuistently put clients on big game. They hold the 1 and 2 mountain Nyala. They are expensive for a reason. If you want a cheap hunt, go to RSA or Namibia for 3-5 days. Good luck

Steve,
I'm seeing your post a bit late so I don't know if the discussion is still relevant. Hunting as a visiting tourist hunter (with a PH as required by law) here is perhaps some of the most expensive hunting on the continent, and there are MANY issues that make your proposal quite unrealistic - impossible really. I've hunted quite a fair amount in Ethiopia as a resident hunter, and suggest that is the only way to approach this - though you would still have a lot of hoops to jump through before getting to the bush. Resident hunters today CANNOT hunt any of the animals you've listed, but they are permitted licenses for Warthog, Bushpig, Dik-Dik, Hyena, Baboon, Monkey, game birds, and a few other small animals. As to 'hoops' you would have to explore whether EWCA would consider you qualified for a resident license, arrange a 4WD, and many other issues that would DEFINITELY burn up your six day leave and IF successful in all of this . . . though it would be perhaps affordable . . . you'd have no time left to go hunting! So I second the other posts that recommend you explore a short plains game hunt in either RSA, or Namibia. you could tailor a short ranch hunt for 2, or 3 species that might fit your time and budget constraints.
If you are still in Ethiopia and interested in discussing the Ethiopia situation send me a PM. I'm in Addis currently and am happy to discuss in detail. Good luck!

For those planning the hunt in Ethiopia:

From source:

Ethiopia’s Civil War Is a Disaster That’s Only Getting Worse​

By Bobby Ghosh | Bloomberg
September 2, 2021 at 1:11 a.m. EDT

As the world is transfixed by the tragedy playing out in Afghanistan, another humanitarian catastrophe is getting little scrutiny.
In Ethiopia, a conflict with roots in a dispute between the central government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and authorities of the northern Tigray region has spilled into neighboring provinces and metastasized into a full-blown civil war — one fueled as much by ethnic enmities as by political grievances. It’s time for the West to pay attention and get tougher on the government in Addis Ababa.

International rights groups are seeing an all-too-familiar pattern repeat itself in Ethiopia: There’s the weaponization of rape and hunger, the use of child soldiers, reports of ethnic cleansing and warnings of genocide. The death toll from the fighting is thought to be in the tens of thousands, and millions have been displaced.

Worse is to come: Hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians face famine, according to United Nations agencies. The fighting is preventing food aid from reaching people in the greatest need. Abiy, a Nobel Peace laureate, has ignored appeals from the international community to halt the fighting. With the Tigray People’s Liberation Front having inflicted a series of defeats on government forces, the prime minister has called on civilians to join the army and militias, stoking fears of a wider conflagration.
Inevitably, the crisis has resurrected memories of Ethiopia’s previous experience with famine. In the 1980s, an estimated 1 million people died from starvation and malnutrition. Comparisons are also being drawn to Africa’s other cataclysmic ethnic conflicts, including the Rwandan genocide.
Ethiopia is Africa’s second-most populous nation and was, until the civil war broke out last fall, held up as a beacon for the rest of the continent: Its recent economic success was cited by investors and aid donors alike as an example for other developing countries.

That success is now imperiled as the conflict exacts a heavy toll on the economy. The risk premium on Ethiopia’s dollar debt has almost doubled this year. The ardor of investors has cooled with the government’s pleas for a debt restructuring. As Bloomberg News has pointed out, the premium demanded to hold Ethiopia’s 2024 Eurobonds instead of U.S. Treasuries has climbed to 987 basis points, the highest in Africa after Zambia, which is in default. The average spread for African dollar bonds is 541 basis points.
And yet neither economic nor humanitarian considerations carry much weight with Abiy. The prime minister seems to have taken an election triumph in June — his party won a large majority in parliament — as an endorsement of his no-compromise posture in the war against the Tigrayans.
But the conflict has grown more complicated since then. Insurgents from the Oromo, Ethiopia’s largest ethnic group, have formed an alliance with the Tigrayans against the government.

Who can stop Ethiopia from the coming catastrophe? The African Union is too beholden to the government, which provides its headquarters in Addis Ababa, to have much sway over Abiy, and it doesn’t inspire trust among the rebels. The UN’s pleas for a ceasefire have gone unheeded by both sides.
The Biden administration, on the other hand, has some leverage. Ethiopia is sub-Saharan Africa’s largest recipient of American foreign aid, amounting to about $1 billion last year. The European Union is another significant donor and trading partner. Some U.S. and EU assistance has been suspended or postponed, but this has not had any restraining effect on Abiy, who refused even to meet with USAID chief Samantha Power when she visited Addis Ababa last month.
Just in case Joe Biden missed this demonstration of defiance, Abiy also snubbed the U.S. special envoy to the Horn of Africa, Jeffrey Feltman, who flew to the Ethiopian capital the following week.

With shuttle-diplomacy and mild financial restrictions having failed, Western governments will need to lean more heavily on the prime minister to pause the fighting and allow humanitarian supplies into the war zone. The Biden administration can lead the way by suspending all nonessential aid to Addis Ababa, as well as blocking assistance from the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. Washington should also follow through on its threat to cancel duty-free access for Ethiopian exports to the U.S. market under the African Growth and Opportunity Act.
Having already announced some restrictions on visas for Ethiopian government and military officials involved in “perpetrating the conflict,” U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken should now impose harsher sanctions, including freezing any assets these officials hold in the U.S., and pressing the Europeans to do likewise.
Anticipating a ratcheting up of Western pressure, Abiy is seeking support elsewhere: He got some from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on a visit to Ankara earlier this month. But the combined clout of the U.S. and Europe remains substantial, and it should now be deployed to save millions of Ethiopians from calamity.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
Bobby Ghosh is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist. He writes on foreign affairs, with a special focus on the Middle East and Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg