Looking for a book that describes plains game animals with pictures

critrgitr

Reaction score
Member of
SCI,WSF, RMBHS
hello,
I am in the process of researching a first african safari for my wife and I. I would like to find a book that goes into a little more detail on each of the plains game animals available on a typical african safari. I have a decent idea of what I want to hunt over there, but there are several varieties within each species and many that are similar. Do any of you know of a book that will go into better detail about the animals that has pictures and descriptions? I just got the book "Safari Guide II" off ebay that tells where to go to hunt each one, and have numerous books about african hunting but not a lot of detail about the animals themselves.

Thanks,
Brian

i have 2, my favorite is game animals of Africa species and sub species, the other is game animals of the world. I can check on the authors when I get home tonight. I think I got them through African Hunting Gazette, I know that’s where I got game animals of the world but not sure about species and sub species.

I bought a field guide to African mammals and found it very informative. I'm sure you could buy one on Amazon.

There is a book available on Amazon :the perfect shot that has the game animals and where to place your bullet. Cheap enough .

I maybe wrong to say this? The book on shot placement describes a lot of the African PG animals with photos. They have several different ones. Safari press has great books as well. They also have every on this site too.

Kevin Robertson's books are fantastic with pictures and details--The Perfect Shot
some of his podcasts are available and worth the listen for many reasons.

The Kingdon field guide to african mammals, you can find it at safari Press.

1649102163037.jpeg

hello,
I am in the process of researching a first african safari for my wife and I. I would like to find a book that goes into a little more detail on each of the plains game animals available on a typical african safari. I have a decent idea of what I want to hunt over there, but there are several varieties within each species and many that are similar. Do any of you know of a book that will go into better detail about the animals that has pictures and descriptions? I just got the book "Safari Guide II" off ebay that tells where to go to hunt each one, and have numerous books about african hunting but not a lot of detail about the animals themselves.

Thanks,
Brian
The Perfect Shot by Dr Kevin Robertson is a great resource. I am sure there are others. Check out Safari Press.

Smithers' Field Guide- kind of a standard and is very good. Covers the diversity of mammals that most "Hook and Bullet" books don't

IMG_3032.JPG

Field Guide to African Wildlife published by the National Audubon Society. Covers more than just mammals, but gives good descriptions as well as ranges.

Kevin Robertsons books from Safari Press and the SCI Record Books are the best!

Smithers' Field Guide- kind of a standard and is very good. Covers the diversity of mammals that most "Hook and Bullet" books don't

View attachment 460550

This is indeed a great reference guide
Add Robert’s Birds to it as well as the perfect shot and you are well covered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you