Looking For A 500 N.E. Double Rifle

I assume that the Merkel S2 that you mentioned Steve Barnett having in the OP is the one I see listed for $9750 and described as "as new". It has a listed weight of 11 lb 4 oz which is quite a bit heavier than Marius' -- I'm not sure why the difference. Also the LOP is 14 3/4 inches

If I wanted a .500 NE double rifle, I'd buy this one.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a merkel. It’s a tool perhaps as opposed to a work of art such as a holland and holland from the turn of the century but I know of one with full kit. Shells , cleaning gear ,soft case box and Manuel etc for under 9 k. Duke with gulf breeze firearms has details. Best of luck with your search
Thank You foremost! .. oddly enough, I can not gain access to "Firearms" on his site ??? I just gave up on a really good sale (For Now) However, I'd like to see Duke's. The 140 i had on hold has a case colored receiver, not a huge fan, but they seem to be going in that direction?!?

Last edited:
I assume that the Merkel S2 that you mentioned Steve Barnett having in the OP is the one I see listed for $9750 and described as "as new". It has a listed weight of 11 lb 4 oz which is quite a bit heavier than Marius' -- I'm not sure why the difference. Also the LOP is 14 3/4 inches

If I wanted a .500 NE double rifle, I'd bu

I still like that Blaser! I do Thank all members that seriously took the time here, as I've received a wealth of information and correspondence. From links, to pm's that were willing to part with their collection, etc. The 500 search still continues...

Oops, I meant Blaser, of course.

This is what started the damn search.
Heym-577-Nitro-Express-PH-Double-Rifle_100871787_15289_1B7B1360D85F1253.jpg

A late reply to Daniel Cary;
I own a Sabatti 92 ejector in 500 NE. It weighed in at 9.3 lbs and with Hornady 570gr factory loads at 2150 fps the recoil is 100 ft lbs and after 8 rounds of factory ammo started breaking the stock. The action tangs started bending up from heat treat stress relief ??? which moved the top edge of the stock into the action and started chipping off the wood. The free play between the trigger and sear disappeared putting pressure toward disengagement after cocking.
After two years of being on the disabled list I located a DR master that sorted it all out and re-regulated it with a custom load running 2050 to 2080 fps. He also added a mercury recoil reducer making it 10.3 lbs. With this new weight and slightly lower velocity the recoil is 75 to 80 ft lbs. In a properly weighing 12 lb 500 NE the recoil would be around 65 ft lbs. Huge difference on the shooter and wood parts.
I believe Sabatti used their shotgun action to build these rifles for Cabela's but a 12 ft lb recoil 12 gauge shotgun is not the same as a large bore dangerous game caliber.
My assumption being if it was built by a gun manufacturer they would not mechanically under build a 500 NE rifle. I was wrong. I didn't have $10K for the used Merkle 140's available at the time so a Sabatti was my only option if I wanted a DR in that caliber.
For me it is now a fun gun in 500 NE. I mainly load reduced power cast lead rounds for it so I can shoot it a lot versus frequent full power rounds and maybe having to repair again or replace a stock.
I've wondered if all Double Rifles in heavy calibers will need a stock replaced after X number of rounds fired. Or if better action designs eliminate that problem.
I doubt PH's fire off a box or two when they are bored between clients.
A wise person once told me, "We shouldn't own some things just because we want one."
Personally, I think God should let everybody that wants a quality DR win a lottery. :)
Whatever you buy, or have bought, enjoy just owning it even if you never shoot it.

As a collector goes the Blaser S-2 is not in production anymore. They are solid, and if I was going to shoot a 500 NE in a double rifle a lot it would be in a Blaser because of the weight and stock design.

Saying that it doesn't mean they are collectable.

Krieghoffs are available on the used market, but these are harder kicking guns, there is a video from

Have her check this video out. Cordelia hunts forest buffalo with a K-gun in 500 NE.

Saying that as much as I love the safety on the Blaser and Krieghoff, the Heym is more desireable. Because you will be able to sell it.

2nd hand Krieghoffs sit on dealers shelves for months, and Blasers for years.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 9.21.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 9.21.58 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 9.22.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 9.22.00 AM.png
    822.2 KB · Views: 67
Dan is looking for a collectable double 500ne for his mother. If you ever read some of his post, the lady is avid collector of fine fire arms. Not that she is going shoot it. It is for investment. For enjoymentThat is what i understand.
Krish.

Ase ja erä have one 500NE for sale, it's not on their website, you have to send them an email to get photos of it. info@asejaera.fi
They have a chapuis 375H&H for sale too.
Tommen

Thank You all! .. I had a Merkel on hold, beautiful build imo and a remarkable price. 500 N.E./20 Gauge set. Circumstances, and covering a terminal away from home since I've posted this add almost, I regretfully had to email the seller to let it go.

I do have a question however. Subjective of course, ill fitting or not, but how is the recoil of a 10.5 lb 500 N.E.?

I can't imagine it as bad as a 9.5 lb 500 Jeffery? Thank You!!!
I own A Sabatti DR in 500 NE. It weighed 9.3 lbs and at expected velocity of 2150 fps with a 570gr bullet recoil calculates to be 100 ft lbs. I fired 8 rounds on the first range trip and felt like I had been in a car wreck for a couple weeks. A 500 NE DR should be 11-12 lbs. I since fired a Merkle DR that is in the proper weight range and it didn't exactly make it feel tame so there is no magic to sending a 570gr slug out the barrel over 2100 fps.
I sent mine to Ken Owen as it cracked the stock and he fixed it as well as re-regulated it with a load that runs around 2080 fps. He also added a mercury recoil reducer that combined added weight to about 10.4 lbs. That new load velocity and weight calculates to 80 ft lbs or reduced 20%. I have no idea how much the mercury recoil changed the felt recoil.
Some say lighter is easier to carry all day and little noticed when in a shooting situation. I'm not convinced 3 lbs heavier is that noticeable.
Rifle fit probably has a lot to say where heavy recoil is concerned but it does not change physics when the bullet heads down the barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross