Looking For A 404 Jeffery

Spartan5

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a retirement gift for my father. He has always wanted a 404 Jeffery. I was close to getting one earlier this year from another member here, but it was across the pond and the Bureau denied the application to import it. So, anyone have one they are willing to part with? Please let me know if you do, I would like to find one. Thank you.

Good 404's are hard to find at a reasonable price right now for sure. Gunsinternational has a few listed but the condition and pricing is all over the place. Good builders aren't even taking on more work so can't even get one made, just went through that. Sportsmans Legacy has an interesting Mauser that has been re-barreled to 404, they want too much for it but you may be able to talk them down. Good Luck-

I am curious as to why the "Bureau" denied the application to import? I have imported guns from Europe using a service that takes care of all the paper work, etc. Never had a problem.

I am curious as to why the "Bureau" denied the application to import? I have imported guns from Europe using a service that takes care of all the paper work, etc. Never had a problem.
The one I was trying to import had been converted to a 404 from a British military rifle. I was using a service to import, but the letter we received back stated that since it was a modified military rifle they would not allow the import.

We tried to file an appeal that was also denied.

Gotta love the bureaucrats, right? Wrong!

A few years ago, I found a Win Mod 70 in 300 RUM and had Dennis Olsen in Montana convert it to a 404J. The RUM cartridges use the 404J as the parent cartridge, so that makes it a good candidate for conversion. I ordered a Krieger barrel (8 months delivery) and Dennis did the rest.

Winchesters in RUM are hard to come by these days. Lots of Remingtons available.

Midway has Remington 700 actions in 300 RUM available. Lots of custom rifles use the Remington actions or derivations of them. However, for a DG rifle in 404J, you'll open yourself up to ridicule from a little over half of the AH members. I'm actually taking quite a risk even mentioning this as as option. :giggle:

Call Dennis Olsen up and see what he thinks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.49 PM.png
    578.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.54 PM.png
    650.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 7.45.56 PM.png
    834.9 KB · Views: 69
If you are still in the market, please email me at [redacted]. I may have your rifle? Also 120 rounds of 400 gr Dangerous Game Hornady ammo. 60 solid 60 lead core

I have not placed the rifle for sell, but looks as though my African hunt will not materialize any time soon. Someone should use the rifle for its intended purpose. I have already sold the 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Not really sure why I keep hanging on to this one. I guess a wish and a prayer.

FYI, Montana Rifle, Trijicon 1-4 scope, plus ammo will not fit in your $3,000 budget.

Contact me if you want information.

If you are still in the market, please email me at [redacted]. I may have your rifle? Also 120 rounds of 400 gr Dangerous Game Hornady ammo. 60 solid 60 lead core

I have not placed the rifle for sell, but looks as though my African hunt will not materialize any time soon. Someone should use the rifle for its intended purpose. I have already sold the 300 H&H and 375 H&H. Not really sure why I keep hanging on to this one. I guess a wish and a prayer.

FYI, Montana Rifle, Trijicon 1-4 scope, plus ammo will not fit in your $3,000 budget.

Contact me if you want information.
Hi @Stan Smith, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!