Looking for a .22 hornet

xander harper

Reaction score
I'm sort of new and old to hunting I've been shooting since the age of 4 but only hunted about 20-30 times and I'm looking for a good work rifle say a .22 hornet but I am having a hard time finding one for a good price any suggestions??

hi Xander

where u from?
doesnt help some guys from usa reply and you are from south africa

give a bit more detail about yourself and i am sure someone could help

what all would you like the 22 hornet to do, i have owned one for years and use it extensively at Tallyho, but it has limitations

if you are here in the US a friend of mine is selling a new CZ Hornet he is in S Dakota so pm me and I can get him in touch with you

71 of them listed on GB. Prices all over the place.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.51.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.51.26 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.51.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.51.27 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.51.27 PM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 3.51.27 PM 1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
hi Xander

where u from?
doesnt help some guys from usa reply and you are from south africa

give a bit more detail about yourself and i am sure someone could help

what all would you like the 22 hornet to do, i have owned one for years and use it extensively at Tallyho, but it has limitations
yea i am from south africa good point thanks well we have a farm in limpopo vaalwater and its for shooting warthogs,blue monkeys and so on becaus we do own a .204 ruger but its just a expensive gun and is realy limited and obviously i cant realy use the 458 on a warthog

but honestly any recommendation are open on work guns that qny of you have used in the parst and know its a reliable gun

Don't want to mess with your choice but why don't you go .223? Many more ammo options in this calibre and easily available. Plus it packs a slightly bigger punch...

In .22 Hornet, Safari and Outdoor only stock the Hornady Varmint whereas there are 3-4 different brands for the .223.

Don't want to mess with your choice but why don't you go .223? Many more ammo options in this calibre and easily available. Plus it packs a slightly bigger punch...

In .22 Hornet, Safari and Outdoor only stock the Hornady Varmint whereas there are 3-4 different brands for the .223.
you might be right but ive had some trouble with safari outdoor maybe i should go for a .223 but the problem with that is just plain price wise im not realy kean on spending a 20-30 grand on a small calibre work rifle so i think i might go and get myself a .223 but know the question still stands where could i get one for say 10grand+-

Hi Xander, do you have your competencies sorted for owning a rifle? If so then you should be able to find a very good working rifle for less than R10k on a few websites here in SA. I would go for a 308 or similar as very reasonably priced surplus ammo can be found, and as others have said the various .22’s are quite light on tough pigs.

you might be right but ive had some trouble with safari outdoor maybe i should go for a .223 but the problem with that is just plain price wise im not realy kean on spending a 20-30 grand on a small calibre work rifle so i think i might go and get myself a .223 but know the question still stands where could i get one for say 10grand+-
I would go for a Howa in either 25-06 or a 308. Cheap and good and accurate

thanks for all the feedback.! i also wanted to know about a .303 for sale as a secondary for bit bigger game does anybody have some suggestions?
as a British .303 as an all rounder and please tel me your experience with this weapon

A 22 hornet is a rabbit, fox, or feral cat type of cartridge out to about 100 meters. For pigs a minimum is 243 win or better a 308. Howa is an excellent rifle
O my goodness, you mentioned the tomatoes stake word.@bob nelson will be soon here to plant more tomatoes

thanks for all the feedback.! i also wanted to know about a .303 for sale as a secondary for bit bigger game does anybody have some suggestions?
as a British .303 as an all rounder and please tel me your experience with this weapon
303? Agter watter berewors gordyn leef jy? Die boere het die kak uit die engelse geskiet met n
7x57 Mauser. Then rather n 308 or a 7 x57

The old 303 a another great rifle cartridge, similar in power to the 308 win, unfortunately most of the surviving rifles are old & used with corrosive primers & cordite propellant means most have poor barrels, you may find a good one. A Howa 308 is going to give you years of hassle free service. cheaper ammo & a lot better design than the Lee Endfield. &ready to mount optical sights

There are many great old cartridges / designs out there. The 303 is not one of them in my opinion .

Reactions: IvW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois