Looking at either the Hoyt Defiant 34 or the Elite Impulse 34, any recommendations

nuval.J2711

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada
I currently shoot a bear attitude and its very nice to start with but it is quite loud. I have shot an Elite impulse before but not the Hoyt, I am willing to compromise speed for quietness but nothing below 310fps. The Hoyt defiant 34 is 1300$ and the elite is only 1100$. If anybody has had experience, good or bad, with these bows, i would love so advice.

Thanks in advance

nuval.j2711
Don't get hung up on particular branding of bows .shoot them all..get your dad to bring you down to Shooter's Choice in Waterloo and I'll make sure James and the boys treat you well .
Glen

nuval.j2711
Don't get hung up on particular branding of bows .shoot them all..get your dad to bring you down to Shooter's Choice in Waterloo and I'll make sure James and the boys treat you well .
Glen
i will. thanks so much

I agree - shoot them all. I shot 5 different bows approx a week ago and plan to shoot more and take my time deciding. Both Bows were $999 at my pro shop, so shop around. Try the Bowtech BTX, Prime, Mathews, Obsession, etc. don't just draw them. Shoot them. In my initial test shoot the Hoyt Defiant and Bowtech BTX fit me the best and stood out. But I'm not in a rush and I have not shot Obsession or PSE yet. Enjoy the fun of trying them and stay patient. For me it is a purchase to stand behind for 5-10 years of use

nuval.j2711
Glen
Hey! Whoa! How did I get dragged into this fantasy? o_O He will just have to save a bit of cab money on top of the bow price ;):LOL:

Hey! Whoa! How did I get dragged into this fantasy? o_O He will just have to save a bit of cab money on top of the bow price ;):LOL:
NOW THAT'S FUNNY ! LOL .
Glen

I agree - shoot them all. I shot 5 different bows approx a week ago and plan to shoot more and take my time deciding. Both Bows were $999 at my pro shop, so shop around. Try the Bowtech BTX, Prime, Mathews, Obsession, etc. don't just draw them. Shoot them. In my initial test shoot the Hoyt Defiant and Bowtech BTX fit me the best and stood out. But I'm not in a rush and I have not shot Obsession or PSE yet. Enjoy the fun of trying them and stay patient. For me it is a purchase to stand behind for 5-10 years of use
I have all the time in the world considering the "dream" bow i have put together is 1800$ o_O:rolleyes:. I will shoot all the bows if i have the time. No such thing as too much archery.

I have no experience with the Hoyt but I'm the owner of an Elite Impulse 34, 80#, 28,5 DL.
I use the bow to get some nice impala rams (3 of them) last week. I use 680 grains arrow (The setup was for Eland but sadly i did not get any)

The bad: at least for me, the draw cicle is not smooth, i feel some strange bump at the end.
The good: easily tuneable, good speed, great valley, great accuracy.

Some pictures of the bow just for bragging rights :LOL:

310.JPG
312.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I have no experience with the Hoyt but I'm the owner of an Elite Impulse 34, 80#, 28,5 DL.
I use the bow to get some nice impala rams (3 of them) last week. I use 680 grains arrow (The setup was for Eland but sadly i did not get any)

The bad: at least for me, the draw cicle is not smooth, i feel some strange bump at the end.

View attachment 155540 View attachment 155541
I believe that bump you are feeling could be the back wall, correct me if I'm wrong considering you own the bow, but when I shot the elite at the sportsman show it had a back wall that required me to use force to let the string forward.

View attachment 155540 View attachment 155541
Great job on the Rams by the way. I hesitated on a nice one with my bow when Marius told me to draw and shoot:cry: should always listen to the pro:A Bang Head:

Hi Nuval

the "hump" (I really don´t know if is the correct english term :)) is for me an extra effort at the end of the drawing, when you are almost finished, and then you feel a big "dump" to the wall. This is an 80# bow, maybe in 60# or 70# you don´t feel it. But, drawing cycles are subjetive, if you like it, go for it, is a great bow.

nuval, like has already been said , a bow that fits me may not fit you.
I shoot a elite answer , very quite ,but not a speed bow.
I don't understand not less than 310 fps, I don't think you will get that speed with any compound bow unless you shoot a really lite arrow broadhead combination .
I have not shot the impulse , but understand it has a short brace height , will be faster but less forgiving.
I prefer momentum instead of speed, shoot relaxed animals with a quite bow and smile. Forrest

nuval, like has already been said , a bow that fits me may not fit you.
I shoot a elite answer , very quite ,but not a speed bow.
I don't understand not less than 310 fps, I don't think you will get that speed with any compound bow unless you shoot a really lite arrow broadhead combination .
I have not shot the impulse , but understand it has a short brace height , will be faster but less forgiving.
I prefer momentum instead of speed, shoot relaxed animals with a quite bow and smile. Forrest
The Hoyt shoots up to 350fps because of the turbo cams, but I was planning on going to shooters choice to shoot all the bows;)

The Hoyt probably will shoot 350 FPS with 30" draw , 340 grain arrow & broadhead combination,70LB pull. put a 630 grain arrow and tell me what speed you get.
Forget speed, you want quite and smooth. Forrest

Yes IBO stated speed and real world speed are two different things. My bows IBO is 334 but set at 63 pounds and a 450 grain arrow its shooting 260

Yes IBO stated speed and real world speed are two different things. My bows IBO is 334 but set at 63 pounds and a 450 grain arrow its shooting 260
yes, real world speed is another thing, mi impulse 34, 80# 28,5 DL gets 244 fps with a 680 grains arrow

Still looking for the Carbon Defiant? If so let me know

I have owned several Elite bows. The only one I have never regretted selling was the Impulse. It was almost a “one night stand.” Extremely harsh draw.

I currently own an Elite Ritual. We have been in relationship since the first went on the market. Butter smooth draw, quiet and accurate.

“I’d rather have a slow kill than a fast miss !”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross