I have a lot of respect for Longthorne. I handled a couple back when I was in ol' Blighty and they're beautiful pieces. Really well made, excellent craftsmanship and an interesting hint of actual innovation. They don't have the cache or the history of the london names, but personally I think the quality is there. A good group of folks too it seems, I spoke with them at one of the gamefairs and the seemed to really care about their product and were a lot less snobby than some of the london sales folks can be (I hovered around Purdey's stand for 30mins or so looking at the pretty firearms and not a single person came over to talk to me, whereas the Longthorne folks were more than happy to, even if I was a sloppily dressed young guy in a hoodie. I really appreciate that).

I want one very much, and I think they're good value at the current price point, but I don't think they're really clay guns. They're game shooting pieces and designed to that style and ethos.

I want one very much, and I think they're good value at the current price point, but I don't think they're really clay guns. They're game shooting pieces and designed to that style and ethos.
Not certain about them being just game guns. The first shotgun they built for Jon was designed specifically as a sporting clays gun with the stock shape having a near full pistol grip and removable chokes. The second trigger plate they built for him was a "walk up game" specific gun with fixed chokes to save weight and a much more open grip.

What I don't see from Longthorne that separate them from serious clay guns are features like an adjustable trigger, adjustable stock, barrel weights, stock weights and interchangeable ramps like the Blaser F3, Krieghoff K80, Perazzi High Tech and Beretta DT11.

I suspect that these are absent as a result of them being relatively new and a smaller shop. That said, I imagine they would do just about anything you wanted as long as your pockets are deep enough.

UK firearms shippers:

- HGSS
- PDQ Freight

I am afraid that there are only two firearms shippers in the UK market.

It might also be worth talking to Paul Roberts, who has a sideline in buying pistols in the UK and shipping them to the US - you may be able to piggy-back on one of his shipments.

Finally, Holts themselves are very au fait with shipping, and will deal with much of the initial bureaucracy.

All are pleasant to deal with.

If you are thinking of buying a rifle or shotgun at auction always get a condition report beforehand. In respect of shotguns it is vital to get the barrel wall thickness checked: for example, Bonhams have a pair of Rigbys coming up for sale in 10 days time that are shot through and must represent a seriously bad investment for anyone who takes them on.

Not certain about them being just game guns. The first shotgun they built for Jon was designed specifically as a sporting clays gun with the stock shape having a near full pistol grip and removable chokes. The second trigger plate they built for him was a "walk up game" specific gun with fixed chokes to save weight and a much more open grip.

What I don't see from Longthorne that separate them from serious clay guns are features like an adjustable trigger, adjustable stock, barrel weights, stock weights and interchangeable ramps like the Blaser F3, Krieghoff K80, Perazzi High Tech and Beretta DT11.

I suspect that these are absent as a result of them being relatively new and a smaller shop. That said, I imagine they would do just about anything you wanted as long as your pockets are deep enough.
That's fair, but I'd still say that their main focus is classic English game guns. That seems to be their marketing, that's the model range, that's the styling and design stuff. Even a lot of modern game focussed guns like the Beretta Silver Pigeon have a full pistol grip and interchangeable chokes these days and Sporting Clays is basically a simulated game shooting discipline anyway (compared to say, Olympic trap or skeet).

The day someone wins a major competition with one, or even selects a Longthorne to compete in such a competition is the day I change my mind, but that market sits firmly with the manufacturers you mentioned right now.

That's fair, but I'd still say that their main focus is classic English game guns. That seems to be their marketing, that's the model range, that's the styling and design stuff. Even a lot of modern game focussed guns like the Beretta Silver Pigeon have a full pistol grip and interchangeable chokes these days and Sporting Clays is basically a simulated game shooting discipline anyway (compared to say, Olympic trap or skeet).

The day someone wins a major competition with one, or even selects a Longthorne to compete in such a competition is the day I change my mind, but that market sits firmly with the manufacturers you mentioned right now.
I'd like to see them at SCI to be able to put my hands on a few. Who know, they just might show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you