Longer shots 9.3x62

The 250 gr Barnes TTSX have a BC of .440, so not enough behind the NAB to matter - about a half inch more drop at 325 yards.

I shoot the 9.3 on freshly painted steel at 325 yards enough to know it holds together well at that distance, at least with the 250 grain NABs. I did a little work up with the 250 TTSX, but don't remember if I ran any to 325 or not. They are too hard to come by right now to seriously test.

The pic is 3 at 325 Yds after I glass bedded the CZ550 a few weeks ago. Center/left white spot is paint. I zero everything on a berm that happens to be 200 meters (219 yards). The steel at 325 (and beyond) make it easy to very the ballistics. I love my gun club.
20200808_085247.jpg

I have yet to try the barnes. Did try the 250 accubond, but I never really hit the speed I was looking for. Good hunting accuracy around 1"- 1 1/4" groups. Currently I've went back to the 286 grain bullets. Would like to try the 232 grain oryx and vulkan in the future though. I only have whitetail and some hogs, so i really can't justify the 286 gr bullets but they shoot so well.

Finding the Barnes is next to impossible right now. I'm dialing in on the 230 grain Ecostrike which is in line with the Barnes rounds. 230 grain is more than enough for anything up to maybe Eland size. Anything dangerous, the 286 is the ticket.

Finding the Barnes is next to impossible right now. I'm dialing in on the 230 grain Ecostrike which is in line with the Barnes rounds. 230 grain is more than enough for anything up to maybe Eland size. Anything dangerous, the 286 is the ticket.
I have nothing but good to say for that ecostrike bullet. Here is 5 shot group through my sauer. I still have one box left, but may order some more. Wish they were available to handloaders.
20200308_184239.jpg

I have nothing but good to say for that ecostrike bullet. Here is 5 shot group through my sauer. I still have one box left, but may order some more. Wish they were available to handloaders.
I have asked and Norma replied they don't have such plans at the moment. Apparently they scaled the production for producing factory ammo and changing it would require demand that just isn't quite there at the moment.

Oddly enough, 9.3mm TTSX is available pretty much anywhere around here in good quantities. Meanwhile 6.5mm TTSX is out of stock everywhere because it became legal to use on moose and bear this year.

There's one viable option on top of these. 250gr Lapua Naturalis has BC of 0.42 and as pure copper composition it is at softer end of monolithics.

I have asked and Norma replied they don't have such plans at the moment. Apparently they scaled the production for producing factory ammo and changing it would require demand that just isn't quite there at the moment.

Oddly enough, 9.3mm TTSX is available pretty much anywhere around here in good quantities. Meanwhile 6.5mm TTSX is out of stock everywhere because it became legal to use on moose and bear this year.

There's one viable option on top of these. 250gr Lapua Naturalis has BC of 0.42 and as pure copper composition it is at softer end of monolithics.
That lapua sounds interesting. I need to check up on those. I like them a little softer for whitetail here in Mississippi. Im been very fond of the cheap ppu 286 gr round nose on deer here. They have been very accurate too. I really need to try several different bullets in the 230 - 250 grain range for deer. Ive just not had the spare time lately.

Try the NOsler Accubond 230 or the Nosler 286, Ive used both for years..The9.3x62 is not the flattest shooting caliber in the world, but I suggest you load it to book max at least and sight it in 3" high at 100 yards and that will put you about 4 high at 200 and on target at 250 yards and about 8 inches low at 300 and 15 inches low at 400..then go test YOUR gun at each range as it can vary from gun to gun somewhat but not by much...

If you decide to go to a flatter shooting caliber like a 300, do the same thing, so many people go to Africa or where ever, either with a gun sighted in at 100 yards or if at all, Its critical to success to be prepared and practiced, practiced,...tape trajectory to your butt stock and you may want to use a range finder, I don't but Ive been hunting for over 70 years and in the hunting business for the last 40 years.

The trajectory of 286 and 250 is less than some think when the shots get long as you will see if you follow my plan..The rest is up to you..

That lapua sounds interesting. I need to check up on those. I like them a little softer for whitetail here in Mississippi. Im been very fond of the cheap ppu 286 gr round nose on deer here. They have been very accurate too. I really need to try several different bullets in the 230 - 250 grain range for deer. Ive just not had the spare time lately.

I’ve had nothing but good experience with the PPU ammo, in multiple calibers. Soft and hard point options, accurate, good pricing. I don’t think it would have any problem dropping PG, though I wouldn’t take it to Africa unless multiple people had tried it in the field and gave favorable reports. I’m not a “premium” bullet kind of guy for everything I do. Ammo doesn’t have to cost $4 plus a round to be worthwhile, IMHO, but it Does have to perform well, within its ratings, and the PPU ammo has done that so far from my usage of it. The downside to their ammo in 9.3x62 is that its not going to give you longish shots, the ballistics just aren’t there. Inside 200-250 yard though, no problemo.

My son and I both use 250gr TTSX and are very happy with its performance. Here is a little Dope Sheet based on my load at Sea Level.
YdVelocityEnergyPath
025453595-1.9
30019852187-9.7
40018161831-28.4
50016581525-57.7
Personally I would be hard pressed to shoot something out to 400 with it. But 300+/- and closer would be a no brainer.

I have recently returned from an unsuccessful Sambar hunt with my 9.3x62. The country I hunted was all cross gulley with very few chances to get closer than 300 metres. I really like my rifle and would like to persist with it as It’s a left handed sako 85 Bavarian and choice for lefties is limited at best.

Has anyone had experience with longer range shooting? I was thinking of trying 250 grain Accubonds and having an asv turret fitted from zeiss.
@Bert Reynolds
I applaud your choice of bullet and scope but have you tried loading your 9.3 to it's full potential. You should be able to get 2,700+ fps out of it safely. Sighted 3 inches high at 100yards should have you around 24 inches low at 400yards. A backline hold at that range should bring home the venison.
My Whelen loaded with 250grain Speer hotcore at the same speed gives a similar range.
Bob.

Thank you. These are not a projectile I’m familiar with but they sound promising. I’m in Australia so I’ll have to see if they are available.
@Bert Reynolds
I to live in Australia on the central coast of nsw. Where are you in OZ.
The accubonds are an excellent bullet so are the Woodleigh. The 250grain would have more than enough punch but remember 400 yards is a looong way in sambar country.
My philosophy is hold on hair not air. If'n I've got to hold on air it's to far. If you don't drop your sambar 1st shot across a fully you will have a good read hard time following it up.
Just my thoughts.
Bob

Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of a kudu being shot at 3-400 yds with a 9.3x62.
I think you are on the right track with the 250 accubond for that kind of shot. Just check how much velocity is left at 300 to make sure the projectile will expand. Otherwise the 270gr Speer is one of the softer 9.3 projectiles.
With a good dial up scope and a ballistic program hits at 300 should not be a problem
@stug
I was at the range on Saturday and had a go at the 300 yard 8 inch gong with my Whelen and 250grain Speer hotcore at 2,700 fps. 3 inches high at 100 yards and a bit higher than centre hold and hit the gong every time just below the centre. One gentleman said I had missed because the gong didn't ring but when he looked thru his spotting scope there was 3 big 35 cal holes punched thru it just below centre.
Bob

Fastrig, the OP has a special consideration as a lefty in his OP, which is why he doesn't want to change rifles. My guess is it's more difficult to own multiple rifles in Oz than the USA, but I'm no expert on their gun laws. My wife & I had an opportunity to relocate to the Brisbane area back in 1996, from both career and hobby perspectives it worked out best that we didn't pursue that course.
@Mr Zorg
It's no problem owning multiple rifles in OZ. I personally own 12 and a friend if mine has 82 and still going. Some states are a bit harder like western Australia. We just can't have semi auto.
You would have enjoyed hunting here. Pigs,goats 6 species of deer, buffalo, camel,donkey and small game.
Best of all VEGIMITE is easy to get here. Haha haha
Bob

deflection is a function of ballistic coefficient and velocity for the same wind direction and velocity.
no other factors come into it.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
You lost me after is a.
I like the old method. Wind blowing top of grass hills off a smidge. Grass moving more hold off a smidge more.
Grass laying flat, go home.
Simples.
Bob

Thanks. It’s got a very long throat. A good 10mm longer than the magazine to the lands
@Bert Reynolds
Load the bullet as long as you can, give it a good dose of powder and have fun.
Forget the 300 and 338 your 9.3 will do the job, just put in some range time and work out the drop.
Bob

Thanks for the info, I was just curious what it was. I wonder why federal loads it and not the 9.3x64?
@Wyatt Smith
Don't worry about Bruce mate he's a Cyclops. One eyed about his beloved 9.3x64. All else doesn't exist, but hey we have our faults ,mine is the Whelen.
Bob

@Bert Reynolds
My philosophy is hold on hair not air. If'n I've got to hold on air it's to far.

BINGO!!!! Couldn’t agree more. If you are holding over air, you are using the wrong tool for the job. There is a reason why different calibers and ballistics were developed and you aptly summarized it in your philosophy. Harvesting an animal vs. ringing steel are two completely different types of shots and if you are holding over air it shouldn’t be for harvesting it should be for ringing.

Where are you at? I’ve been scouring every ammo site, using AmmoSeek, and can’t find the Barnes 9.3x62 ammo in stock anywhere. Checked with several distributors on when they thought they’d be getting more in and their response has been they have no idea. I don’t hand load so looking for factory ammo.

Where are you at? I’ve been scouring every ammo site, using AmmoSeek, and can’t find the Barnes 9.3x62 ammo in stock anywhere. Checked with several distributors on when they thought they’d be getting more in and their response has been they have no idea. I don’t hand load so looking for factory ammo.

Finland. Then again, 9.3x62 is third most popular moose cartridge around here. I meant bullets but factory ammo is even better available. Maybe I’ll stop twisting the blade now.

Finland. Then again, 9.3x62 is third most popular moose cartridge around here. I meant bullets but factory ammo is even better available. Maybe I’ll stop twisting the blade now.

Ouch :) Got the Norma EcoStrike ordered and hoping it does as well as their Oryx rounds do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross