Longer shots 9.3x62

If you really want to learn to dope the wind, spend some time in a WY prairie dog town. I taught my son to shoot there with a Ruger No 1 in .22 hornet.

I regularly ring steel at 300 with my 9.3x62. I don’t spend a lot of time on the tables. I prefer to go out and play with different wind directions and strengths and get a feel for it. It is rare to have a perfect crosswind. Try to shoot at distance, uphill, downhill, and with variable wind strength and direction.

wind DEFLECTION
bruce.

We call it wind DRIFT around here. Even my ballistics software refers as Drift.
You are free to use any term you wish. As AM I.

you most certainly are, but the correct term is deflection.
software marketers should know correct terms, but they seem to prefer to sell what people want rather than what they need.
the bullet is deflected by the wind, it does not drift.
the correct term gives a truer understanding of what is going on.
if you talk spindrift, then drift is the correct word.
bruce.

you most certainly are, but the correct term is deflection.
software marketers should know correct terms, but they seem to prefer to sell what people want rather than what they need.
the bullet is deflected by the wind, it does not drift.
the correct term gives a truer understanding of what is going on.
if you talk spindrift, then drift is the correct word.
bruce.

Either word is correct and both are used interchangeably in the context of describing a bullet deviating course due to the influence of wind direction/velocity. A quick search of a few bullet/ammo manufactures’ websites returns both words being used, with ”drift” returning the most hits.

Iam using the SAX KJG bullets. They are really great. I dont know if they are in your country available, but i think the Manufacturer here in Germany could tell you :)

The V0 is 976m/s and they drop -22,9cm on 300m.

I have shot already several animals up to 300m and they worked really great :D
If you reload them on your own, i think you could make them even a bit stronger
Either my conversions are wrong or SAX KJG loads to higher pressures that I have ever seen in a 9.3x 62. 976 m/a concerts to 3202 fps. The biggest I have gone with 232 grain Vulcan is 2700 fps or converted to m/s is 823.

I went to the SAX KJG website and looked at a 9.3×62 load. It appears to show a 10 gram / 154 grain bullet. Something is not translating correctly...or maybe they have a 308 magnum of sorts loaded into a x62 case?

I went to the SAX KJG website and looked at a 9.3×62 load. It appears to show a 10 gram / 154 grain bullet. Something is not translating correctly...or maybe they have a 308 magnum of sorts loaded into a x62 case?
It's just very light brass bullet. The type seems to be preferred in central europe for it's flat trajectory at close range and great shocking effect with large diameter and high velocity. Just like many others, the front secton of bullet fragments and solid base ensures exit wound for easy tracking.

It's just very light brass bullet. The type seems to be preferred in central europe for it's flat trajectory at close range and great shocking effect with large diameter and high velocity. Just like many others, the front secton of bullet fragments and solid base ensures exit wound for easy tracking.

flat trajectory at close range......
great shocking effect......
large diameter and high velocity......
ensures exit wound for easy tracking......

What exactly are you dudes hunting in Europe that requires that?.....

flat trajectory at close range......
great shocking effect......
large diameter and high velocity......
ensures exit wound for easy tracking......

What exactly are you dudes hunting in Europe that requires that?.....
Not us dudes, seems to be central european thing.
The game is mostly pigs and it's not a requirement but rather a matter of practicality. Large volume of game will be shot, game is driven and after first shot the rest will run so fast bullet is easier with moving target. Shocking effect lessens need to track game that runs and if they run the exit wound helps. Ze germans want to be sitting by fire eating and drinking, not chasing wounded game all night.

As this is a resurrected old thread, I wonder what the OP chose to do, assuming he's done the hunt?

9.3x62 just isn't a long range calibre. Two things matter for good long range performance, velocity and BC of the bullet. The 9.3 doesn't really offer either because you either get good velocity with a light bullet which has a rubbish BC, or you can get a good BC with a heavier bullet which the x62 can't launch fast enough.

It's a tough one this. I guess the best that can be done is to find a good compromise and learn to shoot a less than ideal round as well as you possibly can? With most of my experience being with smaller calibres, both faster and lower energy, I don't have the field knowledge to come up with much helpful info! My 7STW would have been good for this role, but I sold it because I don't really enjoy long range shooting.

As this is a resurrected old thread, I wonder what the OP chose to do, assuming he's done the hunt?

9.3x62 just isn't a long range calibre. Two things matter for good long range performance, velocity and BC of the bullet. The 9.3 doesn't really offer either because you either get good velocity with a light bullet which has a rubbish BC, or you can get a good BC with a heavier bullet which the x62 can't launch fast enough.

It's a tough one this. I guess the best that can be done is to find a good compromise and learn to shoot a less than ideal round as well as you possibly can? With most of my experience being with smaller calibres, both faster and lower energy, I don't have the field knowledge to come up with much helpful info! My 7STW would have been good for this role, but I sold it because I don't really enjoy long range shooting.
Depends what species one is hunting and what is considered long range. Best BC bullets available in .366 size are either Nosler Accubond or E-tip. BC 0.494 etc. Norma Eco-strike has BC of .420 and 230gr weight. Those are technically capable of taking a moose at 400m. I'll let someone else test that in practice though.
Anyways, for me the x62 is 0-200m gun for the most part, it's nice to know I can use it with minimal hassle out to 300 although I really don't expect to. Fun part is to take it to range and shoot steel at 500m but for that 15g FMJ is more than enough.

Like samu pointed out, the 9.3x62 isn't designed for long range shots. It's good out to 250-300 yards, past that switch to a magnum. 90% plus of all game is taken inside 200 yards, so for most folks and hunts the 9.3x62 is an excellent caliber and cartridge. Can you stretch the caliber out further, sure, but it takes some practicing and a lighter load than the standard 285/286 grain bullets. 230-250 grain bullet is fine for most PG or North American game but that's only going to gain you 50-100 yards.....use a magnum if you want to reach out that far, that's what they are designed for and I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the job.

Hello,

In spite the 9,3x62 wasn't designed as a long range cartridge, today, with 220 to 250 grs bullets with good BC, loaded at the real modern cartridge potential, in my opinion, this century old cartridge is a very good for more than 400 m shoots. As with any cartridge, designed or not for LR, it is mandatory to KNOW by practice the trajectory at all distances. And, also, TO KNOW the distance before the shot!

Best!

CF

I shot my 9.3x62 last year on steel at 300 yards quite a bit. Was using the factory loaded norma 230 grain ecostrike, which I believe the B.C. is
.420 on that bullet. Factory load gave 2621 fps in my 22" barrel. It did exceptionally well at that range.

I shot my 9.3x62 last year on steel at 300 yards quite a bit. Was using the factory loaded norma 230 grain ecostrike, which I believe the B.C. is
.420 on that bullet. Factory load gave 2621 fps in my 22" barrel. It did exceptionally well at that range.

It's probably good out to 350 or so with that Norma EcoStrike round. That lighter round is picking you up an extra 50-100 yards for the 9.3x62. Past that I'd be moving to a magnum, and I've become a 9.3 fan boy of sorts...just bought my third rifle with that bullet chambering.

It's probably good out to 350 or so with that Norma EcoStrike round. That lighter round is picking you up an extra 50-100 yards for the 9.3x62. Past that I'd be moving to a magnum, and I've become a 9.3 fan boy of sorts...just bought my third rifle with that bullet chambering.
I agree the velocity starts to drop pretty fast, and I'd be worried about having enough speed to cause the bullet to expand. Ive turned into a huge fan of the round also, currently have two rifles in the caliber.

I agree the velocity starts to drop pretty fast, and I'd be worried about having enough speed to cause the bullet to expand. Ive turned into a huge fan of the round also, currently have two rifles in the caliber.

If I got everything right for a base line, this is how that 230 grain Ecostrike should perform in 9.3x62, zeroed at 150 yard....I like this zeroing on this caliber as it shoots within an inch all the way to 150 yards, the majority of my shot distances, and only drops 2.7" at 200 yards (most of the other shots I take). Down 14" at 300 yards and can stretch it to 350 yards with a roughly 23" drop....past that I'm using my win mag.

Ballistic Results
Norma 9.3x74R
EcoStrick 230 grain
RangeVelocityEnergyTrajectoryCome Up (MOA)Come Up (MILS)Wind DriftWind Drift (MOA)Wind Drift (MILS)
2559​
3344​
-1.50​
0.00​
0.00​
0.00​
0.00​
0.00​
2455​
3079​
0.50​
-0.90​
-0.30​
0.00​
0.00​
0.00​
2355​
2831​
1.00​
-1.00​
-0.30​
1.00​
1.00​
0.00​
2256​
2599​
0.00​
0.00​
0.00​
2.00​
1.00​
0.00​
2160​
2382​
-2.70​
1.30​
0.40​
4.00​
2.00​
0.00​
2066​
2180​
-7.30​
2.80​
0.80​
6.00​
2.00​
1.00​
1974​
1991​
-14.00​
4.50​
1.30​
9.00​
3.00​
1.00​
1885​
1816​
-22.90​
6.20​
1.80​
12.00​
3.00​
1.00​
1799​
1653​
-34.20​
8.20​
2.40​
16.00​
4.00​
1.00​
1716​
1503​
-48.20​
10.20​
3.00​
21.00​
4.00​
1.00​
1636​
1366​
-65.20​
12.40​
3.60​
26.00​
5.00​
2.00​
Ballistic Calculator
Input Variables
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.42
Velocity (ft/s): 2559
Weight (GR): 230
Maximum Range (yds): 500
Interval (yds): 50
Drag Function (): G1
Sight Height (inches): 1.5
Shooting Angle (Deg.): 0
Zero Range (yds): 150
Wind Speed (mph): 10
Wind Angle (Deg.): 90
Altitude (ft): 0
Pressure (hg): 29.53
Temperature (F): 59
Humidity (%): 78

I don't have the ammo specs to do the calcs, but would really like to see how the Barnes 250 grain TTSX 9.3 rounds would chart out in the calculator.

I don't have the ammo specs to do the calcs, but would really like to see how the Barnes 250 grain TTSX 9.3 rounds would chart out in the calculator.
I have yet to try the barnes. Did try the 250 accubond, but I never really hit the speed I was looking for. Good hunting accuracy around 1"- 1 1/4" groups. Currently I've went back to the 286 grain bullets. Would like to try the 232 grain oryx and vulkan in the future though. I only have whitetail and some hogs, so i really can't justify the 286 gr bullets but they shoot so well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!