Longer shots 9.3x62

Disclaimer: I'm a huge 9.3x62 fan.

I've never understood the fascination with 'flat shooting' rifles. I don't care what the trajectory looks like as long as I can put rounds on target. Does it matter whether the bullet rises 2" or 10" on it's way to the target? Trajectory has absolutely zero effect on terminal ballistics. Caliber, SD, impact velocity and bullet design are what kills. The trajectory the bullet takes to get there is completely irrelevant.

Throw enough powder at something and you can make any caliber 'flat shooting'. You'll pay for it with recoil and barrel wear but it won't kill any better than a slower moving bullet delivering the same terminal ballistics. In fact the flat shooting aspect of some calibers is just a byproduct of trying to generate energy via velocity. Velocity which is necessary to overcome poor SD.
Exactly. Most modern bottle neck cartridges are "flat" out to around 300 yards anyway, some a little farther, some a little less. Sighted in to MPBR, few even require elevation adjustment at 300 yards, and even when they do, it's only a couple inches.

250g 2700fps 0.5 bc sub MOA. isn’t doing anything bad
4 rounds in the magazine vs 3 in a magnum
switch to 286 partitions as needed for the big stuff in Namibia
do it all with one rifle, the 9.3

What is the name of this book and who is the author? Where may I obtain a copy?
Search this site for 9.3x62 book it has all the info to order it, its wealth of info on the 9.3x62 Its called The9.3x62 Mauser Journal 3 rd edition, By Hendrik Van Der schyff.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm a huge 9.3x62 fan.

I've never understood the fascination with 'flat shooting' rifles. I don't care what the trajectory looks like as long as I can put rounds on target. Does it matter whether the bullet rises 2" or 10" on it's way to the target? Trajectory has absolutely zero effect on terminal ballistics. Caliber, SD, impact velocity and bullet design are what kills. The trajectory the bullet takes to get there is completely irrelevant.
It really just comes down to max point blank range. If I can still hit the "boiler room" without adjusting my scope, well, that makes things easier.

That only goes so far though. As I tell my students who say they can shoot a deer at 500m or so: "well, if you work on your stalking skills, maybe next time you can get closer."

250g 2700fps 0.5 bc sub MOA. isn’t doing anything bad
4 rounds in the magazine vs 3 in a magnum
switch to 286 partitions as needed for the big stuff in Namibia
do it all with one rifle, the 9.3

5 rounds in my Sako 85. I can’t get it to feed the 286 partitions. But it shoots the 250 accubonds and 250 woodleigh round noses very well.

Agree....if I know shots are going to be over 250-300 yards, I'm bringing a magnum of one flavor or another.

I ended up finding a nice left hand 300 weatherby to add to my collection. But also added a zeiss victory with asv turret, and worked up some 250 grain accubonds for the 9.3. I guess I’m well covered now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg