Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I've been meaning to get this thread going for a week now and finally just found some time to do so. I finally had my shipment clear all gov't agencies a week ago this past Wednesday and was able to pick up my crate of taxidermy.

Mostly all went well, but there was a bit of a hiccup with Logwin Logistics. Logwin is a world wide company that handles international shipments of all kinds, not just taxidermy. Logwin picked up my crate from the taxidermist and took it to Johannesburg. They contacted me in short order with the shipping cost. A few questions and a delay due to an expired CITES permite ensued, but no big deal. Once the CITES permit was renewed, I wired the funds to Logwin to ship. This is where things broke down a bit.

For whatever reason, the wire was supposedly delayed. After waiting an extra couple of days for the funds to show up, it was time for action. Apparently only action on my part. After providing some initial documentation to show the wire was ordered, I asked for some support on Logwin's part to contact their bank, HSBC. No response for a day or so. Finally it came back that the wire had not shown up and that was it. It did not appear from any emails that any action on Logwin's part was taking place.

I then had the wire service that I use start taking further action. Of course this took time out of my day as well as adding a bit of stress to me. After getting definitive proof that the money had been sent to HSBC, Logwin finally acknowledged the money had shown up and the shipment was then scheduled.

Now, if I was the only one who had this experience that would be one thing. Perhaps just a one time occurrence, these things happen sort of deal. However, one of our other members here, BnC 04, who hunted with HartzView last year and used the same taxidermist had the same thing happen. BnC's wife works at the bank that they did the transfer through. She had to go through the same trouble of tracking the wire and once she provided the additional documentation, voila, the wire had shown up.

Now if it were only twice.....but no I know of a third occurrence. As in 2011 after my first safari I utilized the services of Hunter International to clear my trophies. I discussed this issue with Maria Felix who is one of the owners of Hunter Int'l and she relayed a story to me of another one of her clients who went through the same delay in the wire.

So is it Logwin holding your money for a couple of days or is it a problem with HSBC? Don't know, don't care. I did not care for the lack of any sense of urgency to find out where the money was. And my guess is the money was there when it was expected.

Whatever the case, there are other choices. I think I'll be going back to Safari Cargo Systems who handled my first shipment and did not give any of these problems.

In the end my crate got here and everything worked out, but why have the extra stress of thinking your wire transfer may have gone to the wrong place?

It's alway funny how money disappears and reappears.

Logwin made a mess out of my shipment and it wasn't money but paperwork. They were on Africa time and showed no urgency what so ever. They quoted me one price to ship all the way to my house. Then when the crate gets to the states there are additional charges. The offices over there seem to be in a constant state of confusion and fire of emails to multiple parties without identifying who they need to do something. Like you sir I had to take time out of my work day to sort things out on several occasions. In the end everything worked out but it was very stressful.

Hi Phil,

I also had and money transfer issue in 2011. and last year my bank sent me a letter informing me on new rules on using wire transfer to pay for bills in Africa. It took me 4 months to get it all sorted out.

My issues started as the paperwork was not looked at prior to the holiday shut down and then they had some one toast one of their computer that had the monetary bookkeeping on it.

Then my shipment was stacked in the back and covered up. It was many e-mails and some phone calls to get the ball rolling. I am not sure what i will do this year.

What ever you do keep a good paper trail...

Logwin made a mess out of my shipment and it wasn't money but paperwork. They were on Africa time and showed no urgency what so ever. They quoted me one price to ship all the way to my house. Then when the crate gets to the states there are additional charges. The offices over there seem to be in a constant state of confusion and fire of emails to multiple parties without identifying who they need to do something. Like you sir I had to take time out of my work day to sort things out on several occasions. In the end everything worked out but it was very stressful.

Not surprised by that either. Not sure who caught it first, but as mentioned my CITES permit had expired. It may have been Hunter Int'l who caught that. If they hadn't, well I don't even want to think of the circus that would have followed had the shipment been made.

I'll deal again with Hunter and Safari Cargo. All they do is trophy shipments and therefore they're not distracted by anything else. I know for fact that Hunter Int'l is a small firm and I think SCS is relatively small too with a single location in Jo'burg. With the companies being smaller, it seems to preclude the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing crap you get with the big boys.

I kept thirty pages of emails on those bozos to keep them straight. Every time I contacted the initial bozo he would forward my email to another office. One mess after another until my Taxidermist and my outfitter took up my cause over there and got things straight. James is right everyone keep detailed notes.
Phoenix Phil thanks for starting this thread it will alert all hunters about what to expect when dealing with Logwin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelishaRae

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois