Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Canada, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas
I will be traveling from DFW(Dallas)-DULLES (IAD)- JNB . I thought I read somewhere someone said DO Not use TSA locks on gun cases? Last time I went was 9 yrs ago and using different case do not know if they make a lock to fit , so they should only open and inspect at departure airport correct? Thanks for any advise in advance.

I'm sure it's covered in the threads Brickburn posted, but NO TSA locks. Only locks that you have the key or combination to.

I'm sure it's covered in the threads Brickburn posted, but NO TSA locks. Only locks that you have the key or combination to.

Ok, this one surprised me. I thought that you had to use a TSA lock, although it makes sense that you don't. I've been using the lock that came with my Tuffpak, which is "TSA." I looked on the Nalpak website and they don't even seem to have a non- TSA padlock. Interesting...

I wonder how many times I would have made it through before someone finally noticed?

Oh well, easy fix.

As you say at the departure airport you have to open the gun case for the airline. I did not use TSA locks. On arrival in RSA I had to open for the SAP officer in the police station there in the airport. Same upon return to the USA I had to open for TSA officers in Atlanta. However I did use TSA locks on my ammo box in the checked luggage. Last yeAr no issues. This year when I got home it was obvious that TSA had opened the ammo box in Atlanta, they left their calling card inside. So I guess it was a good idea to have that kind of locks. I did take an extra set of TSA locks with me just in case they gave me a hard time about not having them on the gun case.

I am putting my own combi locks on the gun case and my own lock on the ammo case which is going inside my TSA locked luggage. Or is it the other way around?!:LOL::love::confused::rolleyes::(:unsure::sleep:

^^^^^

Just when I thought I was running out of things to obsess about!!! ;)

I have used TSA locks everytime, just less hastle.

Well Eric TSA states to NOT use TSA locks on your gun case. They only want the owner to be able to access those guns.

I understand that but half the time the employees don't know up from down. They only care that it's locked.

If questioned by a boob agent, either airline or TSA, I would prefer to be on the side that is correct. Its much easier to deal with morons when you are the one that's in the right.

I locked my gun case with good quality padlocks and I carried a copy of the TSA rules in my carryon bag in case there is an agent who is uninformed.

By the way, if a TSA officer at Dulles directs you to follow him/her through a very highly secured door into a very secret baggage sceening area, do it. The uproar is pretty entertaining. I wonder if that officer is still employed?

I probably will use non TSA locks next time with a half dozen of TSA locks in one of my pockets (sandwich bag).

I probably will use non TSA locks next time with a half dozen of TSA locks in one of my pockets (sandwich bag).

This is what I'm going yo do I think, at least for the rifle case. For ammo I believe I will still use a TSA lock and have a non-TSA lock as a back-up. I figure that ammo in a locked box in luggage is much more likely to have a cut lock.

I get tired of taking everything out of my pocket, bags work well for keeping stuff straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross