Locking ammo cans for travel?

Washingtonmuley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
What is everyone using to lock ammo when traveling to south Africa? The ones I have seem way to big for travel.

3 numeral TSA cable locks from Walmart.

I messed up in previous post. What kind of boxes are you guys using?

So are you packing this in your suitcase or checking separately? The pelican case seems huge for a couple boxes of ammo.

So are you packing this in your suitcase or checking separately? The pelican case seems huge for a couple boxes of ammo.
Mind is about 10x11 by 5 inches deep. Yes I pack it in my checked luggage with 2 boxes (40) rounds of big bore ammo. 11 pounds is your max weight including case. Some guys carry a lot more ammo. I don't know how they manage it.

If you travel South African Airways, you must check it separately at no additional charge,

I use the model 1200Pelican case. I always take 2 rifles and plenty of ammo which I always shoot. Then I use the case to carefully pack more delicate items I buy for the return trip. This helps to avoid damage by the "oh-so-careful" baggage handlers. The box can stay in my check on bag the whole way back.

The answer is both...
It depends on the airline you are traveling on. Some allow you to put ammo in your checked luggage. Others require it checked separate.
My advice is to take an ammo case with a spare lock that will fit in your luggage or that you can check if needed.

I use a $7 lockable plastic ammo can from Cabelas, it holds 120 rounds of 30-35 caliber ammo with no problem. One small TSA lock to comply with South African law and one inside the box just in case.

Interestingly, TSA opened mine for the first time my last trip. Left me a note that they had opened it and then just put the locks in it, latched it shut and put it back in my checked bag. Did even lock it back shut!

Interestingly, TSA opened mine for the first time my last trip. Left me a note that they had opened it and then just put the locks in it, latched it shut and put it back in my checked bag. Did even lock it back shut!
Three trips for me carrying ammo and have never been ask about it so far.

I use a simple MTM ammo box. Not the toughest thing on the planet but it works.
I took 35 rds of .416 Ruger and 60 rds of .375 HH to Zimbabwe in it in 2013. I had a small keyed padlock on it and a TSA combination lock. 10 lbs 11 oz. I just carried it in my checked duffle. No problem.
I just returned from Namibia Thursday. I carried it the same way to Namibia, but they (SAA) made me remove it and check it as an extra bag. It showed up in Atlanta just fine. I stuck it back in my duffle for the flight home.

I guess I’m just suspicious looking?

If you travel South African Airways, you must check it separately at no additional charge,
That is only if the flight originates in SA correct? For example if you fly SAA from JFK to JoBerg, you can still check it inside another bag?

That is only if the flight originates in SA correct? For example if you fly SAA from JFK to JoBerg, you can still check it inside another bag?
Not that I am aware of. It is a SAA rule. Since I have never flown SAA, hopefully a member that has flown them can chime in. Even if you fly to Joburg on Delta and change over to SAA to continue to your destination, you have to remove the ammo from the checked bag and check it as an additional checked bag at no extra charge.

ANY MEMBERS THAT HAVE FLOWN SAA, PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS POST!

1A97F460-0423-4221-9266-5D046411949B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg