Local Help Needed Nairobi

robtattoo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia
There is an older gentleman on the 9.3x62 owners group, Facebook page. He has what appears to be a very, very well used Mauser 98 & he's looking for a rear prep sight to fit it.

My Kiswahili is a little rusty*, but i believe he was trying to explain that he's not been able to find anything locally & he cannot afford the import duties & fees.

Is there anyone here in our around Nairobi or, I guess, Kenya that would know of a shop he could try or may have one he could buy locally? His rifle is not drilled & tapped for scope mounts.

I did point him to the forum, but he seemed to think it was all Americans on here.....

*I speak literally no Kiswahili & Google translate can only get you so far

There is an older gentleman on the 9.3x62 owners group, Facebook page. He has what appears to be a very, very well used Mauser 98 & he's looking for a rear prep sight to fit it.

My Kiswahili is a little rusty*, but i believe he was trying to explain that he's not been able to find anything locally & he cannot afford the import duties & fees.

Is there anyone here in our around Nairobi or, I guess, Kenya that would know of a shop he could try or may have one he could buy locally? His rifle is not drilled & tapped for scope mounts.

I did point him to the forum, but he seemed to think it was all Americans on here.....

*I speak literally no Kiswahili & Google translate can only get you so far

If you’re asking for a “cocking piece” peep sight for a mauser, a new one can be purchased in the States or UK with a 6 month wait for about $500, plus whatever they’d charge in Nairobi to fit it to the cocking piece and blue it. If he’s asking for a vintage one, the costs would be higher.

If he means he just needs a rear notched sight for the barrel, they run $75 in the EU and US, plus shipping, plus whatever it takes to fit it in Nairobi plus file the notch to properly regulate the rifle.

As you can probably imagine, it may be that the cost of the parts, duty, shipping, and labor could potentially exceed the value of the gun. In any case, he would need a caliper and he’d have to take measurements of the existing dovetail to figure out need for fit, or the measurements of the dovetail in the cocking piece if truly in need of a cocking piece peep sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg