Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I found several interesting things in the article.
1. A Donation by local Chinese businesses toward anti poaching. It's symbolic, but its something.
2. Some Chinese nationals were actually sent to prison for smuggling. 14 years. Good news. Someone needs to go interview them after a year in prison and get the word out to the community.
3. Chinese embassy stating they have zero tolerance for poaching/smuggling.

"The Chinese business community in Namibia has pledged N$30 000 towards fighting poaching, saying it was their small contribution to help save the rhino.

The pledge follows the arrest of a Chinese national at the OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, South Africa two weeks ago after 18 rhino horns were discovered in his luggage as he was travelling from Namibia.

South African authorities said the 18 rhino horns were valued at N$6 million.

In September this year, four other Chinese citizens who were convicted of trying to smuggle 14 rhino horns and a leopard skin out of Namibia in 2014 were sentenced to 14 years' imprisonment each in the Windhoek Regional Court.

Namibian police and immigration officials on Sunday met the Chinese community and embassy officials in Windhoek to address the rhino horn smuggling incidents which are increasingly being linked to the East Asians.

During the rare meeting organised by the Namibia Fu Jian Overseas Chinese Association, the embassy warned Chinese citizens against engaging in illegal trophy hunting, and to observe Namibian laws and regulations governing the protection of endangered species. The money will be handed over by the Namibia Fu Jian Overseas Chinese Association on Wednesday to the ministry of environment.

The Chinese embassy said the increasing number of poaching incidents being associated with Chinese nationals were tarnishing the image of their country and the long-standing relationship it has with Namibia.

"We value the lives of Namibian rhinos and other protected species, and adopt a zero tolerance policy towards poaching," said the Chinese embassy's officer responsible for visa processing, Liu Guilin.

"The Chinese embassy strongly condemns the illegal trading of rhino horns, and we are closely cooperating with the government of Namibia in combating this illegal activity," said Liu.

Wanaheda Police Station chief inspector Josia Shikongo, who was representing police Inspector General Sebastian Ndeitunga, said the police were concerned about the poaching incidents involving Chinese nationals, a situation he said was not only giving China a bad name, but was also damaging Namibia's reputation.

"We have to work together to ensure that those few individuals giving both our countries a bad name are brought to book," he stated.

The Chinese people are known for using rhino horns to apparently cure a number of ailments, including gout, fevers and rheumatism.

The director of visas, permits and citizenship in the ministry of home affairs Ellison Hishekwa advised the Chinese to stick to the conditions on their visas, and not to violate the provisionss by engaging in activities that they did not come to Namibia for."

The Nambian

Believe me when I tell you that smuggling of Rhino Horn out of South Africa is beyond rampant.The Chinese nationals WHEN !!! They are apprehended are the small fry.Recently the Minister of State Security has been linked to a well known Chinese smuggler.That says it all.

Interesting! Thanks Brickburn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross