Loading presses that accept 1-1/4x12 dies?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
It seems I've just found the next stumbling block for my .416 Rigby adventure! I've found some bullets, brass and dies but the seller tells me part of the kit is a Lee crimp die which is a larger size than the standard type.

Currently I have a 4 hole Lee turret press so that won't accept them so yet again I'm after advice please! What choices are there for a 1-1/4x12 setup? It will need to have an adaptor for the common 7/8"x14 too. I'm thinking Lee again as I don't want to spend a fortune, but are there others I should be considering? RCBS Rock Chucker maybe?

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Rock Chucker Supreme. I just had a friend get one to load his 470 NE. He is in the process of having Lee build him a Factory Crimping Die. The press comes with a 1 & 1/4" -12 threaded hole into which a 7/8" -14 bushing is inserted and used for the smaller diameter calibers.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I think this video illustrates what you are looking for, short of the Lock-n-load adapters.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Rock Chucker Supreme. I just had a friend get one to load his 470 NE. He is in the process of having Lee build him a Factory Crimping Die. The press comes with a 1 & 1/4" -12 threaded hole into which a 7/8" -14 bushing is inserted and used for the smaller diameter calibers.

That would be me and all correct as stated. Midway had the Lee Classic on sale for $109 so I got one of those this week also. That way I don’t have to mess with the Rock Chucker Supreme when I need to crimp the 470 NE rounds.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
The Lee 50 BMG press with bushing to go from 1-1/2” to 1-1/4’, that takes care of needing another press when you buy a 50.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Prazipress does look impressive, but very expensive. Close to $1,000!

upload_2019-3-8_18-0-44.png

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Yeap, and this is a price in Germany net of VAT, you have to factor in shipping and VAT or import duties depending on where you are. VAT in Germany is 19%, in many countries it’s more. https://www.turban-cnc.de/files/eng_pre.pdf

Attachments

• eng_pre.pdf
    937 KB · Views: 128

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Thanks chaps. That German thing does look good, but a bit too expensive for me. I think I'll look to either the Lee or RCBS. Most likely judged by what turns up second hand first!

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe

The Engineer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
I load my 416 Rigby, includingt he Lee crimping die; on my older RCBS AmmoMaster. My AmmoMaster has a bushing with 1 1/4" bushing threads that match the Lee crimping die. The curremt AmmoMaster has 1 1/2 " threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillieBech

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rob404 wrote on Newboomer's profile.
I,d like to buy some pistol primers if they available,thanks
Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!