Loading Norma .404J problem

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
Started to load my first patch of .404J ammunition. I found that the primers (CCI250 and Rem 9-1/2 LRM) do not want to seat in my never-fired Norma brass. Primer diameter is .211" and primer pocket diameter is .201 plus or minus a bit. I deburred the primer pockets, can't get the primers to seat with any reasonable pressure on my Lyman manual priming tool. Do I just have to ream the he!! out of the primer pockets to get the primers to seat?

To double check I mic'd some new RWS brass and the primer pockets are .203". Someone must have seen this problem before.

Not for a 404J, but I "Uniform" the primer pockets of my Norma & Nosler brass.

The pockets are so tight I have to apply a little Imperial sizing wax to my uniforming tool. And I use a nitrile glove to get a better grip on the brass.

I have Hornady, Norma, and RWS brass for my 404 but I exclusively use the CCI 250. Some of primer pockets are tighter than others so I ream them out. I just measured my RWS at .210 and the primers are .211.

Maybe use the reamer?

Dittos on the need to ream new Norma Brass. I use the same reamer designed to remove the "crimp" from the primer pockets on Military brass. Be careful to get the reamer and brass aligned as much as possible. BTW my 404 Jeffery brass was probably the worst offender.

Thanks! This is expensive brass and I didn't want to over ream the primer pockets if I missed something that I should have done first. I'll give it a try on a few cases.

Thanks again.

Had the same issue with Norma 9.3x74R.

OK, got it done. Aggressive reaming, far more force on the primer tool - which is a POS Lyman with loose fitting parts that can cause misalignment between the primer and the cartridge case... but I've complained of this elsewhere on AH.

Many thanks to those who helped me out on this.

Good to hear!

Mike,
I have always used Fed 215's with my Norma brass and never had a problem, seems strange your having the problems you are. I recently bought the new Frankfort Arsenal hand priming tool and really do like it, if your looking for a replacement for your priming tool give it a look.

Mike,
I have always used Fed 215's with my Norma brass and never had a problem, seems strange your having the problems you are. I recently bought the new Frankfort Arsenal hand priming tool and really do like it, if your looking for a replacement for your priming tool give it a look.
Yeah, I bought that one too. No joy, so maybe it's just me and my fundamental incompetence?

I’ve used or better, tried to use Fed 210M in factory new Norma 9.3x74R. I had to ream primer pockets first. This is not a matter of priming tool. If the primer is larger than the primer pocket you can have a priming tool made by more advanced civilisation and sprinkled with fairy dust. Still the only way you’ll squeeze it in is by using enough force to alter the shape of one of the pieces - not the best way to treat primers.

I load Norma 404J brass with CCI250 and haven't had an issue in 150 cases. Maybe I was just lucky.
Perhaps there is some variance between manufacturing lots? I have not seen this problem with other Norma brass I have loaded (other calibers). But I am seeing the same problem with about 80 rounds of new RWS .404J brass that I have not loaded yet - just measured the primer pockets.

I’ve used or better, tried to use Fed 210M in factory new Norma 9.3x74R. I had to ream primer pockets first. This is not a matter of priming tool. If the primer is larger than the primer pocket you can have a priming tool made by more advanced civilisation and sprinkled with fairy dust. Still the only way you’ll squeeze it in is by using enough force to alter the shape of one of the pieces - not the best way to treat primers.
It is not my priming tool that makes primers work in Norma 404 brass. I was simply responding to Mike's comment about how old HIS priming tool was and offer my experience with the one I use. It is probably variations in a certain production run. I purchased 500 pcs a while back and have had no problems seating any of the 3 different brands of primers I have used in my handloads. So that being said I would have to venture to guess that Mikes has different primer pocket dimensions in his brass than I have in mine.

It is not my priming tool that makes primers work in Norma 404 brass. I was simply responding to Mike's comment about how old HIS priming tool was and offer my experience with the one I use. It is probably variations in a certain production run. I purchased 500 pcs a while back and have had no problems seating any of the 3 different brands of primers I have used in my handloads. So that being said I would have to venture to guess that Mikes has different primer pocket dimensions in his brass than I have in mine.
I believe that this is exactly the problem I encountered. Lot to lot variation may be responsible. In any case, it is solved now. And thanks to all for your comments.

Started to load my first patch of .404J ammunition. I found that the primers (CCI250 and Rem 9-1/2 LRM) do not want to seat in my never-fired Norma brass. Primer diameter is .211" and primer pocket diameter is .201 plus or minus a bit. I deburred the primer pockets, can't get the primers to seat with any reasonable pressure on my Lyman manual priming tool. Do I just have to ream the he!! out of the primer pockets to get the primers to seat?

To double check I mic'd some new RWS brass and the primer pockets are .203". Someone must have seen this problem before.
I have read some where that cci 250 primers are a little bigger than federal 215. You use first fed 215 and after a few reloads use cci 250 as the primer pocket loosens up a tad bit.

I don't load 404J, but any new brass except Lapua (and most fired, too) gets Uniformed. Norma is always tight, and continue to be tight after uniforming, but the primers all seat a little below flush afterwards.

BTW, Uniforming after firing is just a way to clean the primer pockets and is quick and easy.

Uniforming new brass, especially Norma, may need a dab of Imperial sizing wax on the Uniforming tool every so often.

Edit to add: For large rifle, I use Federal primers for everything except 308/7.62x51 and CCI 34s for those.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.22.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.22.08 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.22.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.22.10 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!