AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Patriot Life Patron
Hunted
Botswana, RSA, Zimbabwe
Hi Folks,

4th outing for load development and walked away pleased with my current loads based on CEB's 420 grain Raptors and 450 Grain Solids. Worked up loads using RL-19 and attached target, 50 meters offhand 6 shots (Flier to left, all me). Combo of solids and raptors. Worked out to be 90 Grains RL-19/F 215/Once Fired Brass trimmed to 3.24" with a light Lee Factory Crimp, both weights.

Going to further explore this combo.

CEB makes a 480 solid/450 raptor combo, sized .457 and backordered, not sure if I will explore these, since I got a got a surplus of the .458 CEB's, both weights. Right now, I have no reservations in using this bullet combo on my next hunt. All in all not a bad session. Thanks for listening.
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good!

Such a classic (and classy) cartridge. Ought to be more in use today than it is.

Thanks guys. This appears to be a dynamite combo for me so far!

Hey , that's a really impressive grouping ! My Double Rifle is a .450 Nitro Express as well ( A vintage Rigby) .
I use Hornady DGS ( Dangerous Game Solids ) for all my thick skinned game. The grouping is also good .
I currently use a .275 Rigby Mauser bolt action rifle for my smaller game , but some times if l feel like bringing only one rifle with me , then l will happily bring only the .450 NE and use DGX ( Dangerous Game eXpanding ) for the lighter game.
I really don't see many fellow .450 NE users often. Most favour the .470 NE in a double . I like the .450 more though.

Thanks for the compliment. I always took my 375 HH M03 bolt rifle with me on my trips as well. Like options and the hedge against Murphy's law. Hornady DG series are good rounds and will get the job done. I' m blessed to have my hand loaded options. In the end your DGS/DGX rounds or hand loaded rounds will get the job done! I just settled on my practice load with AA5744/400 Grain Speer yesterday. Regulates and cost effective, gives me the frequent range time to work on and maintain my developing skills. I'm new to the 450, been a shooter in the 470/500 NE level and have found this to be the sweet spot for me so far. Best of luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment. I always took my 375 HH M03 bolt rifle with me on my trips as well. Like options and the hedge against Murphy's law. Hornady DG series are good rounds and will get the job done. I' m blessed to have my hand loaded options. In the end your DGS/DGX rounds or hand loaded rounds will get the job done! I just settled on my practice load with AA5744/400 Grain Speer yesterday. Regulates and cost effective, gives me the frequent range time to work on and maintain my developing skills. I'm new to the 450, been a shooter in the 470/500 NE level and have found this to be the sweet spot for me so far. Best of luck on your hunt.

Limpopo,
what velocities do those 400 gr. bullets regulate at? I too have a VC .450 and I've tried 300 and 350 gr. bullets with 5744 with no success. I haven't tried any 400 gr. Thanks

Looks like something will fall to those loads

Been loading for my 1905 Gibbs 450NE for a while .... couple of Safaris shooting CEB 480 Solids and 450 Raptors.. Settled on approx 92grs of H4350 at 2150 Solids and 2175 with the Raptors out of the end of a 28" barrel

Fellow 450NE user here. Will be using it in serious earnest next August......
IMG_3028.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.