Load info for Browning BLR

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
Just bought a blr. Any info on loads for this would be appreciated. I have some 165 grn Sierra gamekings. It's mane use will be for seven boar.
Markcz

Sorry stupid of me. It is 308 win. Also it will be used for driven boar not seven that was the bloody pre-empt text.
Markcz

I used to shoot IMR 3031 in my bolt gun. Proved to be a very accurate rifle with Sierra Pro Hunters.

My Browning BLR in .308 is my go-to rifle...I absolutely love it. However I am not a handloader, so can't offer advise of any use to you. Hope your rifle is as good to you as mine has been to me and happy hunting!

Standard reload data works fine for the BLR. You would ben wise to purchase small base dies for any lever action.

Hi chaps, I have to ask what are small base dies and why is it important to use them?
Markcz

1. Browning BLR tend to have tight chambers.
2. Lever guns close by camming so they do not have the power of a bolt action.
RCBS makes small base dies.

I use the 165gr gameking from Federal Premium's line in my BLR 308. With my 2.5-8x scope I can get around 1 1/2" at 100 yards as long my hand supports the forearm. If I shoot my rifle with the forearm on the sandbags it won't even hit the target at all. Hopefully your rifle isn't as particular as mine.

I'd probably load it to the Federal specs as that load has a proven reputation. I have been recovering beautiful high weight retention mushrooms on the opposite skin when hitting a shoulder of a white tail deer. I do wish it would exit though, perhaps just a tad hotter and it would.

Good luck, beautiful rifle.

I have the BLR takedown in 300 win mag with XS sights. I use a variety of premium hunting bullets, depending on the animal and terrain.
1. Buffalobore 200 grains TSX
2. Federal premium 180 trophy bonded
3. Hendershot’s 200 nosler partition
4. Hendershot’s 200 grain A-Frame
5. Hendershot’s 180 grain North Fork bonded soft point

I use the 165gr gameking from Federal Premium's line in my BLR 308. With my 2.5-8x scope I can get around 1 1/2" at 100 yards as long my hand supports the forearm. If I shoot my rifle with the forearm on the sandbags it won't even hit the target at all. Hopefully your rifle isn't as particular as mine.

I'd probably load it to the Federal specs as that load has a proven reputation. I have been recovering beautiful high weight retention mushrooms on the opposite skin when hitting a shoulder of a white tail deer. I do wish it would exit though, perhaps just a tad hotter and it would.

Good luck, beautiful rifle.

That is a great load the 165 BTSP Federal Prem load. The new Sierra GameChanger 165gr bullet should be excellent in the 308 Win.

That is a great load the 165 BTSP Federal Prem load. The new Sierra GameChanger 165gr bullet should be excellent in the 308 Win.

I would think so. I do have some concerns (founded or not) with all these new bullets hitting the markets every year. Are they really tested and better than the ole standbys? Are they going to be around in 3 years because if I like them in going to want to keep using them.

I generally like older bullets - there are decades of reviews and you know exactly what you are getting.

Any .308Win I may own in the future, I will start load development with Hodgdon Varget for 165gr bullets.

The 308 Win is easy round to load. A lot of good bullets on the market. I have used everything from Fail Safe to Speer Hot Cor with good success. The 308 Win really shines with 150gr and TAC powder. One of my favorite rounds to load. Varget with SBT 165gr @ 46.0 and WW Brass with CCI BR2 primers work very well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.