Livingston I Presume? Nope..just the SAFARIKIDD!

Welcome aboard. I think I saw a youtube video a while back of that 4 bore. Would love to hear more about its terminal ballistics on those buff.

Welcome to the family and the forum @SAFARIKIDD, you are in the right place! Looking forward to you sharing your stories!

Welcome to AH @SAFARIKIDD. Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting!

We are ready for some of those stories

I don't just use a 600!...though it's my fav..I also hunt Alaska and Africa with 500,505,577,700 and 4 Bore
Welcome to our forum...I think. Not sure about someone that consistently hunts with a .600 or so. .416 Rigby is as big as I go. And a .404J is as big as I have ever hunted with.

Thank You All for the kind words!
Just a few pics of "The Mastodon"
Custom Built 4 Bore Double
27pds..22.5" Barrels...
2000gr custom jacketed bullets at 1400fps
For those who ask about recoil I will say it's a huge shove in the shoulder-like from your pet Grizzly Bear
Actually my .600s,585 "kicked" more,like a fast jab from Mike Tyson in the shoulder
Then in my earlier days when I was a Weatherby Junkie..I had a 378 and a 460 both built with shorter turned down lightweight barrels and Kevlar stocks by Brown Precision...they could hurt you! Broke scope mounts and the 460 split the web!
I then had them both braked..
Next..I am a Alaskan-African-S.American Hunter...The final A..Australia will be next for a Cull hunt in the near future...COVID go away!
I love BIG BORES..I have taken many Buffalo and a few Bison too(more to come as I have a place in Wyoming besides Louisiana)
I have taken them with the "puny .458WM (joking guys) and my Custom 6pd Browning 458 nailed them like THOR'S Hammer!I had compete pass throughs with Barnes X 450s at 2200fps or so..20" barrel..But i have also taken them with all the other big calibers including 600 and 4 bore...many in between wirh jeffery and gibbs..also the .500NE(my first double)..
Some posters seem to have a chip on their shoulder about the big 600s and think its not for them so they seem to knock it or the hunter using it? Makes no sense to be that way guys..you like your 375s and 416s..great for you! You drive a VW..fine but don't knock my V12 Roadster...
AHR (Wayne had built me 2-600s and the 1st .700 by them)and to date I think Wayne (a great guy and gunsmith)has built over 100
.600s ! Its a awesome machine and in the right hands it will smack whatever its pointed at! I never did drugs but these monster bores make me high!
So why..why not? I know your 375s will kill them dead..but why a 375...why not a 7×57? K.Bell slayed 1000s of elephants with his...or how about a neat little non kicking .257Wby? He'll Roy Weatheby gut shot a Cape Buffalo with his and killed it!
I will try to start posting a few storys of my Hunting adventures (my Wild Wonderful Single Life Adventures as a Bar Owner -14 of them- in New Orleans and Savannah) is for another forum or book
I have many but I am humbled compared to many others here especially the PH's and Safari Clubs...
Final note is I am also on FB on the two forums BIG BORE RIFLES & BIG BORE RIFLES-AFRICA...Highly recommend these if you want to add to your knowledge and fun pastime...
Happy Hunting Bwanna's...Thomas O
20180709_002423.jpeg
20200330_221441.jpeg
20200330_221409.jpeg
20181129_220032.jpeg

Welcome!

Thank You All for the kind words!
Just a few pics of "The Mastodon"
Custom Built 4 Bore Double
27pds..22.5" Barrels...
2000gr custom jacketed bullets at 1400fps
For those who ask about recoil I will say it's a huge shove in the shoulder-like from your pet Grizzly Bear
Actually my .600s,585 "kicked" more,like a fast jab from Mike Tyson in the shoulder
Then in my earlier days when I was a Weatherby Junkie..I had a 378 and a 460 both built with shorter turned down lightweight barrels and Kevlar stocks by Brown Precision...they could hurt you! Broke scope mounts and the 460 split the web!
I then had them both braked..
Next..I am a Alaskan-African-S.American Hunter...The final A..Australia will be next for a Cull hunt in the near future...COVID go away!
I love BIG BORES..I have taken many Buffalo and a few Bison too(more to come as I have a place in Wyoming besides Louisiana)
I have taken them with the "puny .458WM (joking guys) and my Custom 6pd Browning 458 nailed them like THOR'S Hammer!I had compete pass throughs with Barnes X 450s at 2200fps or so..20" barrel..But i have also taken them with all the other big calibers including 600 and 4 bore...many in between wirh jeffery and gibbs..also the .500NE(my first double)..
Some posters seem to have a chip on their shoulder about the big 600s and think its not for them so they seem to knock it or the hunter using it? Makes no sense to be that way guys..you like your 375s and 416s..great for you! You drive a VW..fine but don't knock my V12 Roadster...
AHR (Wayne had built me 2-600s and the 1st .700 by them)and to date I think Wayne (a great guy and gunsmith)has built over 100
.600s ! Its a awesome machine and in the right hands it will smack whatever its pointed at! I never did drugs but these monster bores make me high!
So why..why not? I know your 375s will kill them dead..but why a 375...why not a 7×57? K.Bell slayed 1000s of elephants with his...or how about a neat little non kicking .257Wby? He'll Roy Weatheby gut shot a Cape Buffalo with his and killed it!
I will try to start posting a few storys of my Hunting adventures (my Wild Wonderful Single Life Adventures as a Bar Owner -14 of them- in New Orleans and Savannah) is for another forum or book
I have many but I am humbled compared to many others here especially the PH's and Safari Clubs...
Final note is I am also on FB on the two forums BIG BORE RIFLES & BIG BORE RIFLES-AFRICA...Highly recommend these if you want to add to your knowledge and fun pastime...
Happy Hunting Bwanna's...Thomas OView attachment 364873View attachment 364874View attachment 364875View attachment 364876
Rapiers and broadswords. They both work. I have no issue with anyone who, based on experience, prefers a broadsword. Hell, I own a couple myself.

I do worry about first time dangerous game hunters encumbering themselves with a rifle they don't handle particularly well because they feel compelled to demonstrate they are "man enough" to handle a 400, 500, 600 or whatever. Generally, usually, most of the time they are better served by something that looks and feels much more like the deer rifle with which they are totally competent and comfortable.

Others of us opt for a rapier because ---- well it is just a more elegant way to dispatch a dangerous beast. :cool: Or, it is a lot more personally practical for a multi-species safari.

That said, you handle your shoulder cannons with obvious competence. More power to you.

14 Bars - :Facepalm: - and some of them in my favorite city (I am a South Louisianian by birth). Would love to hear more about that! I can just imagine some of the late night or early morning calls that you get!

Great to have you on this forum and look forward to any of your contributions. If I see you in N'Orleans, the first single malt is on me.

Love it fellow Coonazz ! Lest not forget Spears,the Mace and of course the ole Battle Axe!! Lol
Yes agreed in what you can handle...recoil never bothered me as it does some others..seen flinchers with 308s,much less the heavy stuff! Heck I was shooting a 12ga single shot 3" H&R at 11(5.5pd Mule kicker) and a 458 at 13...then my dads Double 10ga..Both Barrels at 15...So its Pops fault I have the Big Bore Fever (handguns too!)
Now for those drinks fellow Louisianan..you got the 1st..but i got the 2nd,3rd,4th.....
Where are you located now?
Below is a few more BIG Bores I have hunted with...my .700NE double and my .700 Bolt...and a Wyoming Bison who took a 1000gr Woodleigh SOFT(2200fps) in the rear flank and came out his Chest...and whistled into the great plains! He flopped straight down in a microsecond-like a bolt of lightning hit him!
Look me up when you hit these Swamps!!
Thomas....
20190522_230628.jpeg
Screenshot_20200826-194944_Gallery.jpeg
20181117_201852.jpeg

Love it fellow Coonazz ! Lest not forget Spears,the Mace and of course the ole Battle Axe!! Lol
Yes agreed in what you can handle...recoil never bothered me as it does some others..seen flinchers with 308s,much less the heavy stuff! Heck I was shooting a 12ga single shot 3" H&R at 11(5.5pd Mule kicker) and a 458 at 13...then my dads Double 10ga..Both Barrels at 15...So its Pops fault I have the Big Bore Fever (handguns too!)
Now for those drinks fellow Louisianan..you got the 1st..but i got the 2nd,3rd,4th.....
Where are you located now?
Below is a few more BIG Bores I have hunted with...my .700NE double and my .700 Bolt...and a Wyoming Bison who took a 1000gr Woodleigh SOFT(2200fps) in the rear flank and came out his Chest...and whistled into the great plains! He flopped straight down in a microsecond-like a bolt of lightning hit him!
Look me up when you hit these Swamps!!
Thomas....View attachment 364885View attachment 364886View attachment 364887
You got that right. Retired to Texas - and to paraphrase Crockett - decided everyone else could go to hell. :Finger:

We do a religious pilgrimage to NO and Baton Rouge every year for a LSU game and oysters in the Quarter. Same skinny little guy has been shucking them for almost forty years. I mean we know each other. We do a Dixie Beer or three with a dozen or two on the half shell.

I was guiding duck hunters back in the day out of Johnson's Bayou.

Given a choice however, nothing like slipping a 300 gr A Frame between the ribs of a Cape Buffalo from my R8 or S2. It's a consummate expression of proportional taste kind of thing.

Look forward to seeing you in the Big Easy!

Last edited:
I hope you two do a linkup in NO. Sounds like a lot of fun for two hunters that speak the same language. Maybe Mrs. Red Leg could document the event. I only request that one of you do a Bar Hunting Report once you return home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg