Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
So I'm basically 9 weeks out and began to start getting my gear together. We have all seen the "packing list" but what off the radar things do you pack that you feel are essential. For me it's a knee brace or two, ankle brace, generic ACE bandages and an Epi pen (I'm not known to be allergic to stings but heck it's Africa and who knows what they have out there). I saw where Shockey twisted up a knee on a mountain hunt and they had to warp it with duck tape. I'm not planning to be too far off the grid, size and weight aren't to o much of a concern (unless it's a portable generator) as I won't be backpacking everything with me around the hunting grounds.

What do you feel is essential that isn't on the normal lists?

Chapstick, Nuun tablets, Neosporin.

Antiseptic/wet wipes for those daily cuts in the field, neosporin, head lamp/small flashlight

I always for get the chapstick. With friends like mine over there it is a big mistake because I ended up with chapstick that was like pink lipstick when they picked it up for me. Also forget gloves which are nice for night hunts. I do have both ready for this trip though.

I would say just don’t over think it. The first time I went on safari it looked like I was preparing for the end times. 80% never even got unpacked. Over 30 years of safaris later I pack light, pack smart, and cover the sensible basics. Other than that, you can leave the 4 changes of clothes, gidgets and gadgets, survival suit and inflatable raft at home. You will be surprised how little you really need. Sounds like folks are giving some good advice on items that are small but nice to have.

I would say just don’t over think it. The first time I went on safari it looked like I was preparing for the end times. 80% never even got unpacked. Over 30 years of safaris later I pack light, pack smart, and cover the sensible basics. Other than that, you can leave the 4 changes of clothes, gidgets and gadgets, survival suit and inflatable raft at home. You will be surprised how little you really need. Sounds like folks are giving some good advice on items that are small but nice to have.

+1

Leave most all the extra crap at home. They have braces in Africa. If you do not need a pen here you will not need it there. Be sure to take a notebook and a couple of pens to write about your day EACH NIGHT. If you wait you will forget too much. Also take candy(hard candies, Skittles, and such) for the staff (and yourself) or buy some in Africa.
Pack light because you will want to get items there to bring home.

Some Toilet Paper,,for field use if necessary

You didn't mention where you are going or what you are hunting.

A little something I found handy when hunting plains game in a place like South Africa where there can be 20 different species and you never know what might pop up. I like to target two or three species and then round things out by hunting by opportunity. I'm always fighting with the budget when I hunt, so often the $ make some of the decisions and I need to know what things cost. I shrunk and printed the outfitters trophy fee list, laminated it and attached it to the inside flap my ammo pouch - that way I always have that info with me for quick reference and it helps to make decisions as the hunt unfolds.

Fly in hunt to Alaska, I obsess over my gear! Months out I am weighing, testing, buying new shit because what I bought wasn’t right!
Africa, I usually pack a couple days before I leave. Seen to take less and less each time. Can honestly say I have never gone without. I even got the gout once and the PH hooked me up with the best gout med I’ve ever used. Stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and loaded up on it! Rifle, ammo, flashlight, binos, chapstick, meds and a couple change of cloths and you are in business. I always try to find something cool for my PH, trackers, skinners and lady of the house if she is there. Brought a really nice cutting board with an inlaid Texas Star once, got a picture several weeks later of a Judy back strap perfectly cooked with blood running all over the board. Made me feel good that he thought about where it came from sent me a picture. Made me want to get back on a plane too! Lol
Good luck

Ziplock bags: Always find a use. Glow sticks are my new addition. In Zim, there was no night power and the hut was DARK! Just a little light to find your flashlight.
A few of the necessities: Chapsticks, sunscreen (I take several small tubes so I can have one with me all the time), bug repellent, allergy tabs, cold tabs, Ammonium, Tums, blister kit, Neosporin, adhesive tape, gauze pads and a few band aids. (I used all of them except the allergy and cold tabs on safari #1.)

Leatherman for thorns in the boots, notebook and pen, antibiotics, cold medicine, Flashlight and wet wipes. I’ve been thinking of leave the binoculars at home seldom use them.

Leatherman micro. It has tweezers to pull out stickers and the scissors work well to trim my mustache/beard! SPF lip balm is better than standard. If hunting RSA it should be no problem to pick up something you may need or have missed.
Philip

With friends like mine
Thought I was the only one with such good friends. In their town over night, they send you to the gay bar. Go help them work cattle, you get the bronc with the barrel racing saddle. HaHa.

Great advice though, don’t over think it. I took less than for a weekend whitetail hunt in Oklahoma.

The one thing I have never taken to Africa is a rangefinder. If you have to ask how far get closer. Ciprio is good for travel gut. A lot depends on where you will be, RSA has lots of things available. Bush in Tanz, Zim not so much. A good trail camera is a nice gift to leave as well.

I would also suggest a boiled sweet or two in your pocket.
The chances are you will have a dry throat and you will want to cough on the final stalk to your dream animal.
A sweet in your mouth will get the saliva flowing and help the urge to cough. It's easier and involves less movement than trying to find and drink from a water bottle.

I keep a Sony Cyber Shot camera in my pocket at all times.

Shemagh.
A buddy who was in Afghanistan told me how much they used them. Worked excellent in Africa! Cold mornings you can wrap it around your neck and head to stay warm. Hot days you can wet it and wrap it to keep cool. Pad or raise a gun rest. In the bakkie wrap your face to keep the dust out or to just keep your hat on your head while driving. Will work as a bandage, arm sling, emergency tourniquet, etc. Camouflages my white hair. Wrap deliquet gifts to bring home. There’s a ton of uses. Cheap at $5-6. Leave it behind when you leave.

Shemagh.
A buddy who was in Afghanistan told me how much they used them. Worked excellent in Africa! Cold mornings you can wrap it around your neck and head to stay warm. Hot days you can wet it and wrap it to keep cool. Pad or raise a gun rest. In the bakkie wrap your face to keep the dust out or to just keep your hat on your head while driving. Will work as a bandage, arm sling, emergency tourniquet, etc. Camouflages my white hair. Wrap deliquet gifts to bring home. There’s a ton of uses. Cheap at $5-6. Leave it behind when you leave.

Yep I already have one and have used one for several years now, even in my Texas backpack

Lots of good tips here, again it really depends on where you are going. I seem to be the one that always gets some sort of bite so I pack an antihistamine, antibiotics and polysporin. Tums and Imodium are a good idea as well. I took a thorn bush in the eye and got an eye infection in Zambia last year, was lucky to have some antiseptic eye drops along. Pack light, pack smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longrange33

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross