List of Countries Red Listed for travel to South Africa

Wonderful!! 1st thing this morning our Boy Prince extends the US/Canada border lockdown to Nov 21. Then my buddy gets a notice from Air Canada that his ticket for March to JNB has been cancelled. He should get his refund in 1-2 months.

I find it very strange that they would cancel the ticket that far out. That is 5 months away. I fully expect both Canada and the US to be flying here by then. If I was your buddy, I would rebook on either Emirates or Ethiopian. They both fly here currently.

Just read this on World Nomads Insurance site. The section regarding travel insurance (the red letters) is news to me, haven't heard that one yet.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions in South Africa – updated 12 October, 2020​

Borders open from 1 October​

From 1 October, South Africa has partially reopened to inbound and outbound tourism.

Each country is placed in a high, medium or low risk category, based on the epidemiological risk. Travelers from medium and low risk countries are allowed to enter, and are subject to the usual visa requirements.

Leisure travelers from high risk countries (identified here) will not be permitted, unless they have spent 10 days or more in a low risk country before departure, and they will be considered as arriving from a low risk country.

Requirements to enter​

• Eligible travelers must present a paper copy of a negative PCR test result for COVID-19 that is less than 72 hours old at the time of departure
  • Everyone must install a government contact tracing app and show proof of a confirmed accommodation booking
  • On arrival, everyone will undergo a health screening, and people showing COVID-19 symptoms will be tested. If the test result is positive, they will be quarantined in government facilities
  • International travelers are required to have mandatory travel insurance* that covers the cost of a COVID-19 test (for those showing symptoms) and quarantine costs
  • South African missions abroad will open for visa applications, and all long-term visas will be reinstated. Contact your local South African High Commission for more information.
Passengers can only land at three international airports: Cape Town (CPT), Durban (DUR) or Johannesburg (JNB). There are 18 land borders operating.

Jumped over to the official South Africa website and same information.

All travellers landing at our three international airports must present a PCR (Polymerase chain reaction) test which is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa. Furthermore, the international travellers should possess a mandatory travel insurance which is supposed to cover the COVID-19 test and quarantine costs. All these travellers will be subjected to COVID-19 screening on arrival.

Those who present COVID-19 symptoms which include elevated body temperatures and flu-like symptoms, will be required to take a COVID-19 test which should be covered by the travel insurance. Should the test results come back positive, the traveller will be subjected to mandatory quarantine, which will also be paid for by the traveller or the travel insurance.

All travellers will be asked to download the COVID Alert South Africa mobile app.

If I weren't married, I'd just take a 10 day vacation in Uruguay. I've always wanted to see it, anyway. I'm not sure how I would get home from SA though.

Or, since China apparently isn’t on the banned visitors list, spend ten quality days in Hunan and then fly to SA probably infected with the virus by then. If you contracted the virus on day 9 or 10, you’d be asymptomatic and probably pass the 50 percent false negative test anyway upon arrival in SA. Just trying to think outside the box! What a fiasco!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg