Lions on their kills

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
While walking to get a better look at a sable we had glimpsed from the hunting car we heard a buffalo bawling not far ahead. We stopped and sent no.2 tracker back to the car to bring the .404J. When he returned 10 minutes later we moved forward to a termite mound and immediately spotted a lioness lying under a nearby tree. Circling the opposite side to the mound we spotted another lioness on a just killed buffalo cow - the one we had heard bawling minutes before. We retreated to the car, loaded up and drove slowly to the termite mound and circled into view of the kill at about 75 yards. She remained at her kill while keeping a eye on us. We left her in peace after a couple photos.

Lioness & Buff.jpg

A few days later we came upon the carcass of a female buffalo very recently killed by a lion with a bite through the neck. The hyenas and vultures had not yet found the carcass and we assumed the lion, apparently a male, was closeby. We set a game camera, took a few photos of the kill and left.

Returning to the kill site the next morning, we found the lion on top of a nearby termite mound and a single hyena hovering hopefully at a safe distance from the kill. The lion did not flee and seemed annoyed at our presence. We stayed in the car watching.

Lion near kill.jpg

When we retrieved the game camera a couple days later we found photos of the lion on his kill...
lion-on-kill-jpg.494711

Attachments

• Lion on kill.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
While walking to get a better look at a sable we had glimpsed from the hunting car we heard a buffalo bawling not far ahead. We stopped and sent no.2 tracker back to the car to bring the .404J. When he returned 10 minutes later we moved forward to a termite mound and immediately spotted a lioness lying under a nearby tree. Circling the opposite side to the mound we spotted another lioness on a just killed buffalo cow - the one we had heard bawling minutes before. We retreated to the car, loaded up and drove slowly to the termite mound and circled into view of the kill at about 75 yards. She remained at her kill while keeping a eye on us. We left her in peace after a couple photos.

View attachment 494707

A few days later we came upon the carcass of a female buffalo very recently killed by a lion with a bite through the neck. The hyenas and vultures had not yet found the carcass and we assumed the lion, apparently a male, was closeby. We set a game camera, took a few photos of the kill and left.

Returning to the kill site the next morning, we found the lion on top of a nearby termite mound and a single hyena hovering hopefully at a safe distance from the kill. The lion did not flee and seemed annoyed at our presence. We stayed in the car watching.

View attachment 494708

When we retrieved the game camera a couple days later we found photos of the lion on his kill...
View attachment 494711
It sounds like you had a pretty eventful trip. Looking forward to the final report.

While I had a lion on my license, this male was about 5 years old and not 'shootable'. Lions carry a $15000 trophy fee in Tanzania and I was not looking to hunt one, but it was exciting to see them and their tracks while hunting...
Lion track.jpg

PH Mike Angelides estimates that there are about 50 to 60 lions in the 225,000 acres of Lukwati North.

Tanzanian lions are the most impressive of them all. While I’ve got absolutely nothing against hunting captive bred lions, hunting the truly wild ones (esp. in a place like Tanzania) has spoilt me greatly. I personally prefer it no other way.
530D5EF9-581C-460F-82D2-E62E8B494C01.jpeg
16B47332-E50A-4FDF-B563-66FECA95B93F.jpeg
7F195EDF-61D5-45D1-8D5D-5DBB4F75F9F2.jpeg

Botswana huge bodied black mane lions.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg