Lions Importable To The US Now?

Obi Wan Kenobi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Saskatchewan, Argentina
Hey guys I just saw an ad from a reputable operation in Zambia that said they are offering a lion hunt & you have a virtual guaranteed shot at a lion a male for 85,000 and you can import your trophy back to the US.

WTH? I shot my lion in the Kalahari in 2017 and the full mount has been sitting at the taxidermist ever since. US fish and wildlife have given me the run around for 3 or 4 years getting it back. Are lions being imported back now? How should I go about getting my lion back to the states?!?!?!?!:unsure::unsure::unsure::Arghh::Arghh:

USFWS will now issue permits for lions taken in the southern African countries of Zambia and Zimbabwe. Hunters must have hunted or be hunting between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2018, to qualify, and they must provide the CITES-required export permits from the country their lion was taken in.

I’m sure they will still jump through a lot of hoops and possibly years to get it imported to the USA. However, it’s pretty easy to make the case in well managed areas hunting WILD lions adds conservation value. I’d never expect to see a CBL lion imported again.

. I’d never expect to see a CBL lion imported again.
+1

USFWS will now issue permits for lions taken in the southern African countries of Zambia and Zimbabwe. Hunters must have hunted or be hunting between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2018, to qualify, and they must provide the CITES-required export permits from the country their lion was taken in.

Tanzania lions are also getting permits.

Hey guys I just saw an ad from a reputable operation in Zambia that said they are offering a lion hunt & you have a virtual guaranteed shot at a lion a male for 85,000 and you can import your trophy back to the US.

WTH? I shot my lion in the Kalahari in 2017 and the full mount has been sitting at the taxidermist ever since. US fish and wildlife have given me the run around for 3 or 4 years getting it back. Are lions being imported back now? How should I go about getting my lion back to the states?!?!?!?!:unsure::unsure::unsure::Arghh::Arghh:
It depends. Was your lion a captive bred lion? If so it is not coming back. Lions have not ever stopped only slowed on imports.
SCI did win a lawsuit to get elephant trophies imported and there may have been some crossover to lions. This may be the news folks are talking about.

There are 3 types of Lion hunts in Africa.

Your permit will state the following

W - Wild Lion. There are Lions from Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, TZ, Botswana or any other country besides South Africa. Not sure about the status of Namibia.

WM - Wild Managed. These are Lions from South Africa hunted in the APNR, National reserves or Large South African ranches such as Kalahari Oryx where the necessary management plan and studies have been put in place. These are free roaming areas where the Lion prides are self sustainable.

C - Captive bred, ranch Lions / put and take hunts.

US fish and wildlife will consider Wild and Wild Managed Lions for importing. Captive bred are not allowed and will not be considered.

With all this said, that is how I understand the Lion importation situation at the moment.
If any one has more or different information please advice.

There are 3 types of Lion hunts in Africa.

Your permit will state the following

W - Wild Lion. There are Lions from Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, TZ, Botswana or any other country besides South Africa. Not sure about the status of Namibia.

WM - Wild Managed. These are Lions from South Africa hunted in the APNR, National reserves or Large South African ranches such as Kalahari Oryx where the necessary management plan and studies have been put in place. These are free roaming areas where the Lion prides are self sustainable.

C - Captive bred, ranch Lions / put and take hunts.

US fish and wildlife will consider Wild and Wild Managed Lions for importing. Captive bred are not allowed and will not be considered.

With all this said, that is how I understand the Lion importation situation at the moment.
If any one has more or different information please advice.
Mine was WM in the Kalahari......................wth!!!!

Lawyer up. Conservation Force should represent you. Donation required/recommended. You need solid DATA to defend your harvest.

Lions are being allowed in on a selective basis by very well qualified applications, supported by counsel, with compelling biological data.

The rest of folks will never get their trophies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you