Lion whiskers???

Chinook

Reaction score
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, ZA
I picked up my lion on Friday. For multiple reasons, I am quite unhappy with the job they did. I won't go into all of the details. It's a well known taxidermist, but, my point isn't to bash them (at least not at this point). I have a question.

Most of the whiskers are missing and some are broken. Should they have fixed those whiskers (put in fake replacements)? I don't what the condition of the whiskers was when the lion arrived at the shop. I had it mounted as a rug.

I plan to take my lion back to the shop on Friday, so any answers before then will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Every lion here leaves with pristine whiskers. I would never let one leave without replacing the broken one and damaged ones.
I may take a little longer than some studios., but that is because I do all the mounts personally. And my prices may be a little higher, but for the same reasons. Sorry to hear this , not all taxidermy is created equal and this is a tough thing to go thru. Take it back and have it fixed.

Yes take it back and have them fix.

There is a big difference between and artist and a processor.
The excuse: that's how it arrived so that's what you get is heard to often.
By Dennis' reaction above you can tell which category he falls within.

To try to avoid and "buck passing" in the trophy process stream:
(For any truly unique trophy)
I would be expending effort to inspect it or obtain proof at every hand off to be aware of the condition of the trophy along the route to your trophy room.
Pictures on the ground. Inspection of the skinning, salting, drop off at D&P, arrival at taxidermist.

Hope you can get it fixed. Good luck

Whiskers some times get damaged in the tanning and tumbling process, I'm talking about mountain lions and I just replace them. I've made replacements out of synthetics but real ones are better.

I have seen skinner cut too close and cut off all the base and they are guaranteed to fall out.

On cougars I'll often pull them out when I skin it and put them back in when it's mounted so there's no damage.

Every lion here leaves with pristine whiskers. I would never let one leave without replacing the broken one and damaged ones.
I may take a little longer than some studios., but that is because I do all the mounts personally. And my prices may be a little higher, but for the same reasons. Sorry to hear this , not all taxidermy is created equal and this is a tough thing to go thru. Take it back and have it fixed.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

The whiskers are actually the third, and least, of my problems with this mount. The second is that the felt backing looks ridiculous - it has RUFFLES!!! Big ruffles.

The worst is that there is a spot on one side that is either a bullet hole that wasn't fully repaired, or it is moth damage. Either way, it is quite noticeable and should not have left the shop without that being dealt with. There was no oversight to this work.

I would take it bake and not leave until they agree to sorting out the issues. If you went to a restaurant and got crap food would you put up with it? Sir you have paid for a service that has not been delivered to the required standard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!