Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
been meaning to put this up for a while. when i was in SA in may picking up a vehicle i went to visit a friend i hadnt seen for a bit, and he said to his son go show him your lion......what i didnt know was his son had taken up taxidermy and as he is only young 21/22 years old or around that age i think you will agree he is very good. it wasnt finished when i saw it but the idea of the mount is that the lion has been disturbed off its zebra kill which is going to be part of the mount , and is heading to see what is there. i think he has the facial expression done very well. i will try and get him to join and put some photos of the finished mount on here. there were other mounts he had done and all looked great. when i walked through the studio door i came face to face with the image in the 1st photo and it got my attention!
Image0131.jpg
Image0132.jpg

that's a very intent leer,on ole leo .

great,simply great

I wouldn't want to be the cause of that stare!

Fantastic mount! Cat's are the ultimate test of a taxidermist artistic ability. This young man has seemed to master that ability at a young age. A lot of very good taxidermist never do even though they are masters at other species. Well done! I'd be extremely proud to have that lion in my trophy room!!!!

Fantastic mount! Cat's are the ultimate test of a taxidermist artistic ability. This young man has seemed to master that ability at a young age. A lot of very good taxidermist never do even though they are masters at other species. Well done! I'd be extremely proud to have that lion in my trophy room!!!!

This is a GREAT point! I've seen plenty of cats that were used as "advertising displays" at shows etc that the face just didn't look right.

Howzit :) thank you for posting the images, my old man called me to let me know and I decided a finished pic would be good for everyone to see :)

Great looking lion.

that's something special thanks for showing us travis , welcome to ah ,mate

Travis welcome to AH.

Well Mike I think your description of this young taxidermist is a few years off.
Travis is not a rookie taxidermist. DOn't care about his age.

Great discovery Mike.

Took these from your FB site Travis. (Some folks are not FB members.)

10302642_619954104740046_2420998576884959881_n.jpg

Travis you are right to be thrilled and proud with having a picture of your work used on the front of Breakthrough. I have never seen anything but excellence on the front cover. Well done. You make me want a Lion!

528626_447858811949577_748199197_n.jpg

Howzit :) thank you for posting the images, my old man called me to let me know and I decided a finished pic would be good for everyone to see :)

i am good thanks. i phoned him to tell him to get ur ass on here as i had put those photos on. i am very pleased everyone likes this lion mount as much as i did from the moment i walked through the door and came face to face with it!! (y)

I would have to say that this is one of the most intriguing mounts I have ever seen. Travis, if you don't mind sending me some (some meaning a lot of different angles) photos, I would really like to see if I could turn this into a decal...

i am good thanks. i phoned him to tell him to get ur ass on here as i had put those photos on. i am very pleased everyone likes this lion mount as much as i did from the moment i walked through the door and came face to face with it!! (y)

Travis, I'm glad Mike got you on here. That is an absolutely stunning mount!

I think that young man has done a fine job! Wish I had a big male like that.

I just had to come back and look at that mount again. Mike it is the face and the body telling a story. I want to know why that damn cat is leaving his dinner!!!

A friend of mine is a taxidermist and he always tells me "you have to tell a story".
That is the difference between a chunk of fur and horns or a piece of art.

The great one's can produce Art. There are some great taxidermists and we sure get to see our share here on AH.

Travis; That cat is piece of Art.

i just showed my opening photos to someone and they wanted to know why someone would want to keep a lion in their garage.......took me a couple of seconds to realise he thought it was alive! and i had to show him it was on the table in preparation for mounting on the base :LOL: he got it when i scrolled down to the finished product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg