Lion taxidermy is it legal to sell?

Rys

Reaction score
We are trying to sell my father-in-laws trophy collection. A TWRA official has told us that certain pieces cannot be sold legally but hasn't been able to show us any documents saying as much? Can anyone let me know if this is correct? I do not have room for a full body mount lion in my house. : (

Unless something changed very recently. Lion mounts and skins can be sold. Look on eBay, they are listed for sale. Could be a state law some have laws regarding sell of mounts.

Last edited:
AH James, haven't looked on eBay lately? Lion are only LEGAL to sell within the state the lion resides , Dead , Live or Taxidermy mount. Lion were put on the endangered species list last Jan. To move sell or transport a lion skin or mount across state lines for any commercial gain including trade or barter to any person not residing within the state where the lion physically IS constitutes a violation on the Lacy Act a federal law and is a felony. No state law as I know of restricts the selling of a lion in that state. Most states control of oversight of animal are the responsibility of the Natural resource dept or their fish and game dept of that state and restricted to indigenous animals residing in said state.

Well poo! Anyone in TN need a lion?
Do you know if crocodiles are included in the Lacey Act?

At this point I wish we had donated the entire collection.
This is the last thing we're dealing with in closing out my father-in-laws estate.
Unfortunately we have the items with a local auction company. Neither they or us were aware of the issue with the lion. : (

Croc as far as I know YES but I'm not a USFW lawyer. Never sold a croc but as for import no cites is needed to import bot cites 1 or cites 2.

Sounds like it's legal if it's a gift.
Philip

Personally I wouldn't even gift one across state lines. THEY will look into any and everything they can see if even a favor is offered for it and then your screwed.....And the IRS will not let you use any donation for a deduction that would constitute $$$ for you even in as a tax deduction and fall under the commerce clause.

It sure is messed up that trophies that were both taken and imported legally are left in limbo. : (

@Rys what state are you located in? Someone here might be on a local chapter board or know a collector.

If I bought a lion rug in Texas threw in in the back of my truck and drove to my home in Kansas that would be illegal. I really doubt if there is one police officer on the road who would know that was illegal.

AH James, haven't looked on eBay lately? Lion are only LEGAL to sell within the state the lion resides , Dead , Live or Taxidermy mount. Lion were put on the endangered species list last Jan. To move sell or transport a lion skin or mount across state lines for any commercial gain including trade or barter to any person not residing within the state where the lion physically IS constitutes a violation on the Lacy Act a federal law and is a felony. No state law as I know of restricts the selling of a lion in that state. Most states control of oversight of animal are the responsibility of the Natural resource dept or their fish and game dept of that state and restricted to indigenous animals residing in said state.

So, the ESA restricts the sale of legally acquired trophies that were acquired before the listing date?
If that is the case you guys need an amendment in a big rush.

As it is stated above, I cannot buy it. I wouldn't mind a gift though. I would give it a nice home in my office, staring at my zebra pedestal I have on the way from Highveld and basically freaking the hell out of our miniature poodle, who hopefully would quit bothering me in my office.

Do you still have the lion you were discussing last year? I would be interested in talking to you if you do.

There are a few companies out there that sell collections etc. and i'm sure they can answer your questions. Many advertise in SCI's Safari Magazine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg