Lion or elephant hunt in 2019 or 2020?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Riksa, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Riksa

Riksa AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Since my last Leopard/Buffalo hunt I have continued to dream of returning to Africa. My Big 5 is still short of Lion, Elephant and Rhino (which I don’t know if I want to hunt or not). I started taking initial contact with some outfitters already in Spring 2018 and have found some very good options. And some outfitters actually surprised me with the lack of their interest. It might be that my request for a lion or elephant hunt in 2019 or 2020 was not of interest for them. In any case I still haven’t decided what to hunt next and where.

No matter what, the hunt would have to be a free range, fair chase hunt in real wild Africa. I would love the idea of hunting a lion by tracking and stalking instead of baiting but this seems to be a challenge in most free range places. Some outfitters in Zimbabwe have also offered this option, but the success rate might be low. I very much appreciate their open communication about the low success rate so that I can make my own judgement whether to go for it or not.

I am mostly in this for the experience so hunting a lioness instead of a male would certainly be OK. I’m seriously considering hunting a tuskless elephant also, especially if I could somehow combine this kind of hunt with a lioness. The price of a free range male lion especially with the high daily rate combined with my stalk and track ambition and low success rate is causing me a headache. And it seems that hunting a legal free range exportable lioness is not possible. So currently I am thinking of going for a trophy elephant hunt in Zimbabwe. Cost for a trophy elephant hunt seems to be around 30kUSD and for my budget that is OK. Cost for a free range lion hunt is higher and I can admit that some of the high end (100kUSD) hunts are certainly out of my budget, but some more reasonably price lion hunts seem to be within reach.

What I’m seeking is a ideas about the options for lion and elephant hunting. Please chime in a let me know what you would think about different options. In return I promise to write a report once the hunt is done.

2. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    @Riksa , is it OK to send you a PM? I have some intel you may find helpful, but I do not have permission from the outfitter to post it on a public forum.

3. Riksa

Riksa AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Please send PM. All intel is very much welcome.

4. Mbalabala Safaris

Mbalabala Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi Riksa
    I can offer you a free range lion. Not far from where you shot your buff and leopard.tracking would be difficult but can be done late season.

5. Martin Pieters Safaris

Martin Pieters Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ZPHGA,SOAZ,SCI, ZTA
    Hunted:
    Most countries
    Riksa, I can offer you both trophy elephant and a free range lion in Zimbabwe, various areas from matetsi to the Zambezi Valley, drop me a mail, martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2018

6. Mbalabala Safaris

Mbalabala Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
  7. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    PM Sent

8. Spear Safaris

Spear Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI life member, PHASA life member
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
    Riksa, I sent you a PM. Please feel free to email for further questions.

9. Game Trackers Africa

Game Trackers Africa SPONSOR Since 2016 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI, PhASA, IPHA, NAPHA, APHA, TPHA, WSF
    Hunted:
    TANZANIA, SOUTH AFRICA, NAMIBIA, BOTSWANA, ZIMBABWE
    Dear Riksa

We can offer both, please email us for more information magdel@gtasafari.com

Thank you.

10. Stalker91

Stalker91 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, France, Austria, Hungary, Scotland, England
    Hi Riksa, If you only want to hunt lion by walk and stalk in real wild Africa have you looked at Burkina Faso, you are not allowed to bait them and they have a lot!! They don’t grow big manes but the cat is still the same underneath. Also gives you a chance at west savannah buffalo and roan among others critters found only there. Just a thought.

Riksa likes this.

11. Riksa

Riksa AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info I look from the forum. I have not even considered Burkina Faso, but I certainly will now.