Reaction score
Website
www.mabalengwe.net
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SOAZ
Matetsi Safari Area is undoubtedly one of the finest Wild Lion hunting areas on the African Continent producing some of the best Wild Lion trophies to date. Besides this Unit One is blessed with high populations of Cape Buffalo and a good spread of all the species. Hunting is in unfenced wilderness where we enjoy the truly classic African hunting experience.

We are offering the following from Matetsi Unit One for 2021.
(daily rates)
LION - 21 days @ S2,300/day = $48,300
LION/Buffalo - 21 days @ $2,500/day = $52,500
LION/Leopard/Buffalo/Sable - 21 days @ $3,200/day = $67,200
plus
Trophy Fees
LION - $30,000
Leopard - $10,000
Buffalo - $6,500
Sable - $6,500

Standard government levies apply 2% of daily rates & 4% trophy fees, VAT $23/day

We are situated within an hour of Victoria Falls and International flights are available into Victoria Falls International airport from USA and Europe via various airline hubs in Africa.

FB_IMG_1540802502153.jpg

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Great area to hunt

Tromberg Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.mabalengwe.net
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SOAZ
Hi Matt.

There is no doubt that you will find better prices elsewhere and I see "COVID specials" offered everywhere. The fact is Matetsi is unchanged by COVID. It is just as majestic and the hunting is just as magnificent as at any other time and incidentally, the costs to protect the area also remain unchanged.
I also understand that it's a buyer's market right now but there us also a point at which we will not survive and these great wilderness areas will be lost to all. For the extra dollars you might have to pay (even in these difficult times) you keep us going and for this we are very appreciative to our clients.

Sure is. I’m not sure prices reflect the current situation but who knows you might get someone to grab it. Good luck!

ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2016
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
huntingsafaris.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAPHA, SCI, DSC, SAHCA
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, RSA, USA, Hungary
Hi Matt.

There is no doubt that you will find better prices elsewhere and I see "COVID specials" offered everywhere. The fact is Matetsi is unchanged by COVID. It is just as majestic and the hunting is just as magnificent as at any other time and incidentally, the costs to protect the area also remain unchanged.
I also understand that it's a buyer's market right now but there us also a point at which we will not survive and these great wilderness areas will be lost to all. For the extra dollars you might have to pay (even in these difficult times) you keep us going and for this we are very appreciative to our clients.

Very well said Abe!

SWARA

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
How do you justify the $1000 a day difference in daily rate from the lion only hunt to the one with lion,buff, leopard and Sable. They are essentially the same hunt in the same area all with a total of 21 hunting days.

DieJager

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
Netherlands, Portugal, USA [FL]
Is this a serious question?
I think it is and I'm alsof interested in the specifics. What make the day fees higher. I understand the difference PG and DG fees but what makes it higher in this instance. There are alsof trophy fees involved.

Just asking purely out of interest. Not to start an argument or whatever.

SWARA

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Its a legitimate question.
I have no intention to stir the pot, but we are talking about a difference of $900 (my mistake when I said $1000) per day on the daily rate, multiply that by 21 days and you have difference $18,900.
Plus significant trophy fees and other costs on top of that.
I do not question the area and I agree with IvW that is an excellent area, with good tropy quality.
But my simple question is that because this is already a dangerous game hunt as reflected in the daily rate for lion. What would cause your day rate to be jacked up so much with a total increase of $18900 day rate over 21 days for this hunt.
Perhaps there are some extra services, I don't know, but its just a question asked without malice.

Thumper Mcgee

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
U.S
I have no intention to stir the pot, but we are talking about a difference of $900 (my mistake when I said $1000) per day on the daily rate, multiply that by 21 days and you have difference $18,900.
I do not question the area and I agree with IvW that is an excellent area, with good tropy quality.
But my simple question is that because this is already a dangerous game hunt as reflected in the daily rate for lion. What would cause your day rate to be jacked up so much with a total increase of $18900 day rate over 21 days for this hunt.
Perhaps there are some extra services, I don't know, but its just a question asked without malice.
its for the bait. they have to shoot animals like hippos and zebra to bait the lions

375Fox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
its for the bait. they have to shoot animals like hippos and zebra to bait the lions
No, it’s because areas have a set quota and could be sold as two separate hunts instead of to only one hunter. If you add days to your hunt instead, daily rates usually come down. If you add high value animals to the same numbers of days outfitters have to make money back on the hunting opportunity that could have been sold to another hunter. You still have to pay for baits on hunts (unless this is special case?). It’s only fair they charge a higher daily rate for the lost opportunity.

Last edited:

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
How do you justify the $1000 a day difference in daily rate from the lion only hunt to the one with lion,buff, leopard and Sable. They are essentially the same hunt in the same area all with a total of 21 hunting days.
That’s just how it works

D

Deleted member 53080

I think it is and I'm alsof interested in the specifics. What make the day fees higher. I understand the difference PG and DG fees but what makes it higher in this instance. There are alsof trophy fees involved.

Just asking purely out of interest. Not to start an argument or whatever.

I apologize for the tone of my question. I should’ve responded differently. I understand your question about the cost increase and I believe it’s already been addressed by 375Fox.

Every outfitter I’ve researched charges more on day rates as you add higher value animals like most DG in most cases and certain other species like Sable.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Awesome sounding hunt. Would love to see the area. At the local auction last month, as many deer and elk tags were selling North of $100K I was thinking what I would do with that money, instead. I'd go on a hunt like this. Thanks for posting the offer....................FWB

matt tonioli

AH member
Reaction score
Nor did I intend to speak in malice. My point was that right now it is difficult to fill quotas and keep ph s busy for obvious reasons. There are areas that are wild and beautiful in all areas of the world to hunt. Over the last 10 years the cost has gone up and up and up. it has been an outfitters market. This COvid correction to african hunting prices was real for 2020 and will likely hurt business to some degree in 2021. I hope not, but it might. It has shifted the balance in the hunters favor for now. I have seen most outfitters recognize this and adjust offers accordingly. Some may not have to. Those who do not have to kudos to you. That’s all.

Tromberg Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.mabalengwe.net
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SOAZ
Hi All

Some interesting questions and observations and I hope that I might be able to shed some light on what has been an age old question. Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Firstly, the term "daily rate" is a bit misleading because it implies accommodation and services. I agree that the extra charges do not justify any extra costs from our side and it is not related to baiting. You will eat the same fine food, drink the same amount of our imported wines and whiskeys in the 21 days whether you hunt a single Lion or a package of different animals so why the extra charge?

Firstly, in Zimbabwe we are allocated strict quotas at the beginning of each hunting season and as outfitters we need to divide this quota up between our prospective clients each year and each animal is reserved for each specific hunter. Over and above this it is important to understand that we have to pay our Parks and Wildlife Management Authority for the animals that are hunted, in most instances whether we hunt them or not.

What would seem the most obvious solution would be to put a set price on the daily rate that covers accommodation, food and beverage (and here I have to say we offer the finest!), PH costs, fuel, salt, etc. and then charge a trophy fee for the animal when shot? A lot of the fenced area hunts are sold on this basis where your hunt success is somewhat higher than in a wilderness area. As an example, we could sell a lion hunt for 21 days @ $500/day = $10,500 plus a trophy fee of $67,800 = $78,300 and arrive at the same amount that we need to cover the Lion.
Or alternately we could just say "book your Lion" and send me $78,300 and we will give you every possible opportunity to shoot it.
So why not??

The answer is fairly simple - it's all about commercial risk!

In Wilderness areas especially the commercial risk is substantially higher than in fenced areas as the wildlife movements and dynamics are more unpredictable. That herd of 500 Buffalo that was in the area today could cross over into a non-hunting area tomorrow and be back again the day (or week) after. The other area of risk is when a specific animal is booked to a specific hunter and the hunter can't make it (as has happened in these COVID times) or he misses the shot, or he decides for whatever reason that he doesn't want to take the shot (we recently failed on a Leopard hunt with a client who felt "claustrophobic" in the blind and refused to take the shot) so there is risk on both sides.

The complicated "daily rate" system that we have all grown up with is a mechanism to SHARE the risk. If we fail on a hunt for natural reasons ie. the right animal just did not present itself or alternately the client failed on his side the outfitter is still able to cover his "un-shot" trophy fee to Parks and the reverse is that the client does not have to pay full price for an animal that he was not able to take home.

So to answer some of your questions, the additional daily rate cost is because we are adding on another whole hunt (less the expenses for that hunt) and that additional animal is now reserved for that specific hunt as opposed to selling it separately. I hope this all makes sense!

What I can also tell you is that we have high success rates on all of our species and we will do our utmost to provide every one of our clients with the best possible hunting experience. Matetsi Safari Area is a unique and an exceptional unfenced wilderness area that provides some of the best hunting on the African continent!

I hope that I have addressed some of the issues raised but please feel free to add any comments or questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards to all

Abe

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
Hi All

Some interesting questions and observations and I hope that I might be able to shed some light on what has been an age old question. Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Firstly, the term "daily rate" is a bit misleading because it implies accommodation and services. I agree that the extra charges do not justify any extra costs from our side and it is not related to baiting. You will eat the same fine food, drink the same amount of our imported wines and whiskeys in the 21 days whether you hunt a single Lion or a package of different animals so why the extra charge?

Firstly, in Zimbabwe we are allocated strict quotas at the beginning of each hunting season and as outfitters we need to divide this quota up between our prospective clients each year and each animal is reserved for each specific hunter. Over and above this it is important to understand that we have to pay our Parks and Wildlife Management Authority for the animals that are hunted, in most instances whether we hunt them or not.

What would seem the most obvious solution would be to put a set price on the daily rate that covers accommodation, food and beverage (and here I have to say we offer the finest!), PH costs, fuel, salt, etc. and then charge a trophy fee for the animal when shot? A lot of the fenced area hunts are sold on this basis where your hunt success is somewhat higher than in a wilderness area. As an example, we could sell a lion hunt for 21 days @ $500/day = $10,500 plus a trophy fee of $67,800 = $78,300 and arrive at the same amount that we need to cover the Lion.
Or alternately we could just say "book your Lion" and send me $78,300 and we will give you every possible opportunity to shoot it.
So why not??

In Wilderness areas especially the commercial risk is substantially higher than in fenced areas as the wildlife movements and dynamics are more unpredictable. That herd of 500 Buffalo that was in the area today could cross over into a non-hunting area tomorrow and be back again the day (or week) after. The other area of risk is when a specific animal is booked to a specific hunter and the hunter can't make it (as has happened in these COVID times) or he misses the shot, or he decides for whatever reason that he doesn't want to take the shot (we recently failed on a Leopard hunt with a client who felt "claustrophobic" in the blind and refused to take the shot) so there is risk on both sides.

The complicated "daily rate" system that we have all grown up with is a mechanism to SHARE the risk. If we fail on a hunt for natural reasons ie. the right animal just did not present itself or alternately the client failed on his side the outfitter is still able to cover his "un-shot" trophy fee to Parks and the reverse is that the client does not have to pay full price for an animal that he was not able to take home.

So to answer some of your questions, the additional daily rate cost is because we are adding on another whole hunt (less the expenses for that hunt) and that additional animal is now reserved for that specific hunt as opposed to selling it separately. I hope this all makes sense!

What I can also tell you is that we have high success rates on all of our species and we will do our utmost to provide every one of our clients with the best possible hunting experience. Matetsi Safari Area is a unique and an exceptional unfenced wilderness area that provides some of the best hunting on the African continent!

I hope that I have addressed some of the issues raised but please feel free to add any comments or questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards to all

Abe

Excellent and thorough response Abe. Even as a veteran African hunter of multiple countries, I learned something new. Understanding the situation is often just a matter of someone with the knowledge and facts explaining it in terms we can all understand. Much better than the reasons I gave my kids growing up “Because I said so!”

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
Hi All

So why not??

Best regards to all

Abe
Hello Abe,

thank you for this great explanation. I too was wondering what could have warranted a 2300-3200 USD/day daily rate. I found this a bit obnoxious to be honest. However I quite understand the spreading of the risk from a successful hunt or not, a bit more with the customer. So thank you for this point of view on things.

For myself, I'd rather take your example of lower daily fees and then a higher trophy fee, but I understand where you are coming from.

V.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaielMethue

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?