Lion Hunt that almost went wrong

Not saying i would not do anything different but I hate when camera men miss the shot. The hunter or other PH, not sure which hung in there. Hope is is alright.

Um, ALMOST? I'd say it went wrong for sure and what's up with that jammed rifle? I'd throw that POS in the scrap pile. That guarantees it will never fail again. Which brings me to the PH hunting rifles I've seen. Guys, you really need to step up your game with a new firearm once in a while. The ones I've seen ARE ready for the scrap yard, worn out from YEARS of dust and dirt. Having said all that, I would NOT go with this gang to hunt squirrels. YMMV.

Um, ALMOST? I'd say it went wrong for sure and what's up with that jammed rifle? I'd throw that POS in the scrap pile. That guarantees it will never fail again. Which brings me to the PH hunting rifles I've seen. Guys, you really need to step up your game with a new firearm once in a while. The ones I've seen ARE ready for the scrap yard, worn out from YEARS of dust and dirt. Having said all that, I would NOT go with this gang to hunt squirrels. YMMV.

The guy with the rifle that jammed is one of the best Ph's for hunting lions out there and has taken more lions then most.. Jacques handled that as good as you could with all that happened. All his rifles are not wore out or in bad shape at all. He basically saved the other Ph's life even with the gun jamming. I have hunted with Jacques and a bad Ph he is not.

Last edited:
I'd say it went wrong for sure and what's up with that jammed rifle? I'd throw that POS in the scrap pile. That guarantees it will never fail again.

The rifle wasn't the issue, the ammunition was. The case swelled and caused the jam. The first PH shot (before the lion mauled Reinhard) also hit the lion in the shoulder and should have caused much more damage than it did, but the bullet itself didn't act as it should have.

Hornady DGX factory ammunition.

Having said all that, I would NOT go with this gang to hunt squirrels.

I'm with @BillC. Jacques saved a life and if God forbid I was ever being charged by DG I'd be perfectly happy with Jacques being right there. He's one of those guys with ice water in his veins.

Plus unlike here they can not just walk in to a gun store and buy a new gun if they want to. They are also limited on how many guns they can even own.

The case "swelled"? Help me out here, what causes or how does that happen? Fourteen firearms was the limit, the last I was told.

The case "swelled"? Help me out here, what causes or how does that happen?

Stuck case (high pressure is often a cause). Don't know specifically in this situation other than the case was physically stuck in the chamber after firing, causing the jam, as opposed to a mechanical rifle malfunction causing the jam.

Does that help you out ?

I was told it does happen when hunting the desert areas between heat and how humid it is. If the round is a hot one to start with it all equals a chance for the case to get stuck. It is one reason many Ph's good to doubles.

The guy with the rifle that jammed is one of the best Ph's for hunting lions out there and has taken more lions then most.. Jacques handled that as good as you could with all that happened. All his rifles are not wore out or in bad shape at all. He basically saved the other Ph's life even with the gun jamming. I have hunt with Jacques and a bad Ph he is not.

+1

The rifle wasn't the issue, the ammunition was. The case swelled and caused the jam. The first PH shot (before the lion mauled Reinhard) also hit the lion in the shoulder and should have caused much more damage than it did, but the bullet itself didn't act as it should have.

Hornady DGX factory ammunition..

+1

I'm with @BillC. Jacques saved a life and if God forbid I was ever being charged by DG I'd be perfectly happy with Jacques being right there. He's one of those guys with ice water in his veins.

+1

You don't see it in this video, but you in the other video. Jacques stepped between the lion and the clients and film crew. Putting a client with a loaded rifle behind you in probably the most stressful situation the client has ever been in his life takes more courage in my book than facing the lion.

Stuck case (high pressure is often a cause). Don't know specifically in this situation other than the case was physically stuck in the chamber after firing, causing the jam, as opposed to a mechanical rifle malfunction causing the jam.

Does that help you out ?

It is my understanding Jacques no longer uses that brand of ammo. I believe he uses the 500 Merkel DR these days.

Does that help you out ?

Are you implying the rifle couldn't handle the ammo? I understand the case being stuck due to high pressure. I've had stuck cases with reloads, never with factory ammo. Was the ammo shot previously in that rifle? Was this before or AFTER the well documented and known issues with Hornady DGX ammo were exposed? A lot of unanswered questions not revealed by the video.
Glad he isn't using that ammo anymore.

The rifle used is a newer Ruger Guide gun in .416 Ruger. Ammo as mentioned is that shit Hornady puts out and proclaims to be for Dangerous Game.

Having answered a couple of your questions, may I ask my own. Is your conclustion you would not hunt with this gang as you put it, based solely of this fairly short video? Or are you basing this on any other knowledge about the situation?

I think people are implying that something happened beyond his control and he took care of it when most men would be running. The Ph was not at fault in any way. Plus I do believe this video is 2 years old and old news.
I don't know the for sure number but I think Jacque has taken over 200 lions with clients. I think he is smart enough to not go in the field with something he has not tried or thought would fail.

Last edited:
Are you implying the rifle couldn't handle the ammo?

I'm not implying anything. I thought I was pretty clear on that point. See below.

Don't know specifically in this situation other than the case was physically stuck in the chamber after firing, causing the jam, as opposed to a mechanical rifle malfunction causing the jam.

If that isn't clear to you, then I apologize.

A lot of unanswered questions not revealed by the video.
Glad he isn't using that ammo anymore.

I am curious though. Do you always jump to conclusions when there are so many unanswered questions in your own mind? You certainly seemed to be judge, jury, and executioner in your first statement in this thread.

Does that help you out ?
On my most recent hunt in RSA, I was using my PH's rifle and ammo he had loaded himself. I had trouble opening the bolt after a shot and he looked at the rifle. Brass was stuck. Apparently he had loaded some +P ammo for a special purpose, and it caused the brass to swell to the point that it would stick in the chamber. Once we identified the problem, he culled that ammo out of his boxes, and we only had trouble one more time - when a similar cartridge snuck through. We were culling springbok, so no big deal, but we both agreed that higher pressures had no place in a DG rifle.

And for what it's worth, I heard this story from Jacques a month ago, and I too would want him by my side if something like this were to happen.

The jammed gun seals the deal for me. If you don't know your firearm or what can happen with the ammo, you are either doing something unprofessional or are just getting overconfident and sloppy or both. And to answer another's post. I would NOT hunt with these guys. Again, YMMV.

The jammed gun seals the deal for me. If you don't know your firearm or what can happen with the ammo, you are either doing something unprofessional or are just getting overconfident and sloppy or both. And to answer another's post. I would NOT hunt with these guys. Again, YMMV.

Wow must be nice walking around being perfect. Can you tell me how that feels?

Though your posting on this thread will make it more then a few would not be taking you on as a client.

Despite the firearm/ammo issue, I think Jacques did a great job in dispatching that Lion. Things could have ended up much worse.

I hope Reinhardt has healed up, and doing well.

Wow must be nice walking around being perfect. Can you tell me how that feels?

Though your posting on this thread will make it more then a few would not be taking you on as a client.

Do you have a vested interest in defending these professionals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.