Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
We currently have one safari for a male lion in the Matetsi Safari area unit 1, Zimbabwe.

The Matetsi safari area borders Hwange National Park and is completely unfenced. Unit one is approxiamately 100,000 acres of prime hunting area.
This area is alloted one lion per year.
This safari is for 21 days and includes buffalo and plains game as well.

21 days @ $2500.00 per day = $52,500
Tax on daily rate 2% =$1050.00
Trophy fee for male lion = $10,000
Tax on trophy fee 4% =$400.00

Total $63,950.00

Price does not include trophy fees on additional game taken or bait animals

I hunted lion in the Okavango in 1990. I didnt get one and figured I would try again someday. At the time the troply fee was 2000 dollars and the daily rate was 800 per day. At these kind of prices I wont ever be hunting lion again. Thats even more than a new Ford F250 diesel and thats saying something. Its now a rich mans game.

I can't disagree with you sestoppelman, supply is limited and demand is high. That's the way the ball rolls.

I hunted lion in the Okavango in 1990. I didnt get one and figured I would try again someday. At the time the troply fee was 2000 dollars and the daily rate was 800 per day. At these kind of prices I wont ever be hunting lion again. Thats even more than a new Ford F250 diesel and thats saying something. Its now a rich mans game.

I agree. There are less expensive lion that become available in Zimbabwe. This area re-opened to lion in 2005 and since that time they have taken only one per year and have been able to get good mature males. That makes this area a high demand hunt.
Back in 2003 I was telling everyone that was thinking about lion to go after it sooner rather than later because we could see the writing on the wall. As Enysse mentioned, the quotas have become very tight thus creating a demand leading to cost doubling over the past three or four years.

enysse,

Of course what you say is true and I fully understand that as it applies to just about everything. Suppy and demand. Its just now way out of my league and unfortunately most others as well. I think it wont be long before lions are protected under CITES due largley to the high mortality rate especially in East Africa due to desease. I could be wrong and I hope lion populations stabilize in the near future.

tim416,

Yes all true. But even where lion are less expensive, they are still beyond the reach of most hunters and as more and more places close to hunting like parts of the Okavango are now doing, the cost will continue going up and soon for one reason or another lion hunting will cease at least in the traditional areas outside of private land hunts that many here refer to as "canned" hunts. Not trying to be controversial here, just an opinion.

I hear you guys and feel for you too about the lion. I will never hunt the lion unless I get a deal like tim416 was offering this last December. For the most part it's a dream. I don't see the supply ever increasing again. In fact, in my lifetime you will see the end of hunting for lion....thanks to overpopulation of the human race.

I think there are more affordable...free range lion hunts in Benin and Burkina Faso...but they look a little different than the lions from Tanzania and Zimababwe.

For the most part lion hunting has passed by me...more than a few days late and way more dollars short (lol).

You are not being contrversial in the least. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of the most expensive lions we have to sell. Unit 1 has one lion per year, the quality and succes rate is good so they price it accordingly. Each year someone steps up and grabs it. The Reno SCI show has started today and we have one more show after this. It will be interesting to see if the hunt remains after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg