Website
panthertrackers.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Club bleu de Gascon, Gascon Saintongeois, Ariegeois
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Spain, Australia and USA
Hello fellow hunters.

My name is Gavin and I reside in the Limpopo province in SA.
I am a very active hunter, pursuing either Bushpig, Caracal and Jackal on average 4 days of every week. I am passionate about hounds and have a kennel of 25 Gascon-Saintongeois hounds and 5 Dogo Argentina's.
We hunt Leopard in the neighboring countries namely; Zimbabwe, Botswana and Mozambique.
I have hunted with hounds on 3 continents and worked with a pack in Europe for 2 years hunting Wild Boar.

Vive les chiens de chasse!

Attachments

• thumb_Gerrie_-_Cheerio.jpg
    thumb_Gerrie_-_Cheerio.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 209
  • thumb_Cat_2005.jpg
    thumb_Cat_2005.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 194
  • thumb_Matoks_17-09_014.jpg
    thumb_Matoks_17-09_014.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 172
  • thumb_Georges_valley.jpg
    thumb_Georges_valley.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 177
  • thumb_Matoks_17-09_001.jpg
    thumb_Matoks_17-09_001.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 187
  • thumb_xosha_026.jpg
    thumb_xosha_026.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 185
  • thumb_xosha_002.jpg
    thumb_xosha_002.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 200
  • thumb_xosha_005.jpg
    thumb_xosha_005.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 155
  • thumb_PB110157.jpg
    thumb_PB110157.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to AH Gavin Lipjes! Glad to have you with us, you seem to be extremely passionate about hunting with dogs. I look forward to reading your posts and having you share with us some of your hunts. By the way the pictures that you uploaded are very small and hard to see, would you mind uploading them again in a bigger format so that we can have a nice look at them. Take care.

Thank you for the welcome Jerome.
I will remedy the photo size asap.

Gavin, I know that the Dogo Argentino are used a lot for boar hunting but do you use them in any way on Leopard? If so in what capacity?

Hi Gavin, Welcom to the AH forum , oh you have lovely dogs , must be great taking game with them have nver experienced this sort of hunt ever.

Great Going!!

Monish

Jerome I have not had the Dogo on any Leopard as yet but will most likely get the chance this season. I will keep you updated. They are really wonderful dogs.
I have had a single Dogo in on some large Caracal but it is no contest really.
From what I have seen so far I expect the Dogo to be of great assistance in the hard bay up scenarios like caves and dense vegetation.

Monish, in my humble opinion, an experience hunting with hounds is really important, if not at least valuable, for every dedicated hunter. The interaction with a working pack triggers some genetic memory in almost every hunter I have had the pleasure of crashing through the bush with. I would love to see it a more common method here in Africa similar to what is experienced in the US and Europe.

Jerome I have not had the Dogo on any Leopard as yet but will most likely get the chance this season. I will keep you updated. They are really wonderful dogs.
I have had a single Dogo in on some large Caracal but it is no contest really.
From what I have seen so far I expect the Dogo to be of great assistance in the hard bay up scenarios like caves and dense vegetation.

Monish, in my humble opinion, an experience hunting with hounds is really important, if not at least valuable, for every dedicated hunter. The interaction with a working pack triggers some genetic memory in almost every hunter I have had the pleasure of crashing through the bush with. I would love to see it a more common method here in Africa similar to what is experienced in the US and Europe.
Old thread, but how do Dogos interact with leopards? They catch outright in Argentina, pumas aren't a big issue in a fight. However I've heard of Dogos hunting leopards but... not catching? Or just retrieving leopards shot from a tree. So I'm confused what's going on with Dogos in Africa or just catch dogs in general in Africa as it pertains to leopard.
Also a few other questions -
Do the hounds kill anything? I imagine caracal and jackal to be uniquely fragile.
How do Dogos do on bushpig?

Giday Gavin and welcome to the A H forums

Old thread, but how do Dogos interact with leopards? They catch outright in Argentina, pumas aren't a big issue in a fight. However I've heard of Dogos hunting leopards but... not catching? Or just retrieving leopards shot from a tree. So I'm confused what's going on with Dogos in Africa or just catch dogs in general in Africa as it pertains to leopard.
Also a few other questions -
Do the hounds kill anything? I imagine caracal and jackal to be uniquely fragile.
How do Dogos do on bushpig?
Dogos are used by only a handful of hunters in Southern Africa. Those which hunt the Dogo on leopard are using them as hard bay dogs to relieve pressure off the good hounds, and provide security to the houndsman if the cat attacks.

Dogos do great on Bushpig as catch dogs.

Welcome to Africa Hunting. I hope you will share some of your hunting stories with us. We spent a month hunting in Limpopo last year and had a wonderful time with 3 different outfitters.

Safe hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross