Limited Edition rifles investment?

Weren’t the The Man Eaters of Tsavo killed with a military 303?
May my local gun auction, people will bid high numbers for such Special editions. They are not this quality however, for example, a John Wayne commemorative Winchester 94
@wyatt Smith
Some of those commerative Winchester 94 have very little value but if you still have one with the original box all is not lost. I have heard of the box alone being worth more than the original cost if the rifle.
Bob

Unfortunately Bob I just own a standard 94. But I have watched a couple of the commemorative rifles sell at the local gun auction.
@wyatt Smith
Almost wrapped my 94 around a tree when I was dumb enough not to remove my finger from the lever when closing it. It doesn't exactly tickle when you drive the trigger thru your finger. The air turned very blue that day.
I still like the 94s and 92s just a lot more careful now and slower to operate than my old SMLE. Once bitten twice shy.
Bob

I agree. Limited Editions usually seem to be the least collectible. Winchester does all kinds of limited runs and they never seem to hold their value.

The most valuable guns tend to be production guns that are produced in a limited quantity and are discontinued or import restricted for whatever reason. I have 3 guns that are, or will be worth a lot one day and they're all standard production guns. One of them is made in very limited quantities, though.

The first is my Arsenal SLR-101S. This gun was about $1,100 when they were out and now they're worth about $2,000. Depending on import restrictions it could become worth way more in the future. I plan on keeping it though as European milled receiver AK rifles are few and far between nowadays.

The second is my Winchester 1886 Deluxe. I had to wait about 4 years to get my hands on one and it was the only one at the time selling for under MSRP which is $1,700. I've seen a few used examples on Gunbroker go for $2,500 or higher since. It doesn't have any fancy engraving or inlaying. The main differences are it has a heavy octagonal barrel, case hardened receiver, and grade IV walnut. This is my absolute favorite rifle I own, though, so I'll never sell it.

The third is my CZ 550 Safari Magnum. With CZ discontinuing them I am sure their price will go up similar to the Ruger M77 RSM. Maybe not a ton, but I could see them going for prices in the mid-1,000 range.

If it makes you happy--buy it. Just don't look at it as a sound investment. Sometimes you win--sometimes you lose. I lose a lot more than I win on guns I perceive will increase substantially in value. :). Oh well. More fun than looking at your quarterly investment review. Buy it and hope it maintains most of the purchase price as value.

Mighty fine rifle. By the time those rifles are collectors items that have gained value, we will all have turned to dust.... unfortunately.

My view on purchasing "Limited" firearms is if they have a feature that is not found in the regular version of the same firearm and the price difference is not outrageous.

For example recently I purchased a Ceaser Guerini Invitus III Sporting "Limited". The first picture is the regular edition with silver background, the second picture is the "Limited" edition. I like the background color on the "Limited" edition. MSRP is the same.

1601406848770.png

1601407051515.png

My view on purchasing "Limited" firearms is if they have a feature that is not found in the regular version of the same firearm and the price difference is not outrageous.

For example recently I purchased a Ceaser Guerini Invitus III Sporting "Limited". The first picture is the regular edition with silver background, the second picture is the "Limited" edition. I like the background color on the "Limited" edition. MSRP is the same.

View attachment 369804

View attachment 369807

That rifle is flat STUNNING....Congrats!!!

In general I would be reluctant to view firearms as an investment proposition. The two main problems I see are:

i. Firearms are one of the few items highly vulnerable to the whim of politicians. Confiscation or forced sales in a collapsed market don't make for good financial outcomes. (Imagine the state of your "investment portfolio" under an Acting President Pelosi or a President Harris)

ii. When considering our investment / wealth management strategy many of us want to be able to ensure the financial security of our spouses and children. I'm getting to the age where I've seen too many friends pass away. Several had high value firearms. Unfortunately because of licensing and other restrictions, the firearms were bundled up and put in the hands of dealers for sale or auction. Like vultures striping a carcass, bugger all financial return to the estate.

Certainly buy and use what you desire but don't think they are a reliable investment.

Genuine investor / collector rifles are usually ones with a history behind that specific gun. Such as Lee Harvey Oswald's rifle. Before "the shot" it was just another rifle. Rarity and/or history is where the money is. But I get what you mean about buying it to hold value not necessarily to make money on it.

If you have the dosh and you want it then go for it. But use it as you would all your other rifles. You'll know how special it is each time you pick it up and that's the true value.

I'd buy two and auction one here on the forum. $10 a ticket.... with 50 000 members you'd easily pay for both the guns... ;) :cool:

I was at an Estate auction yesterday and bought some guns. Talking to some other guys who are older than me about how they decide what they will spend. When I had an enlightening moment..... It came to me that some of the money that will inevitably be left to my kids in my Estate, may as well be spent on stuff I decide I want. Practical or not. Then someday they can deal with selling my crap on an Estate sale and actually have to work a little for their inheritance rather than just be transferred bank accounts and brokerage accounts;)

I worked for my money and I will spend them!

Anyway just seen the tsavo rifle is in 375 h&h....so totally wouldn't be interested....as @PeteG said when we were discussing the price of the mopani limited edition rifle he had seen advertised in SA just now..should do them in .275...350....416 and 450 rigby...and a matching set in those calibres would be collectable...

Anyway just seen the tsavo rifle is in 375 h&h....so totally wouldn't be interested....as @PeteG said when we were discussing the price of the mopani limited edition rifle he had seen advertised in SA just now..should do them in .275...350....416 and 450 rigby...and a matching set in those calibres would be collectable...
Were the Tsavo lions not killed with a 375H&H?

no. The lions were killed in 1898, the 375 wasn’t even invented until 1912.

killed I believed with a 303.

as far as limited edition rifles…if I had a nickel for Every John Wayne commemorative rifle I’ve seen for sale cheap I’D be rich…

honestly I find the commemoratives uninteresting. Handling the real thing is a whole different beast though.

@Kevin Peacocke relish in the fact that you have handled it. It's something unique just the experience.

I'm a fan of the movie The Ghost and the Darkness.

Perhaps these are not going to gain value but they will sell and always be limited production.

I once thought about buying a Rigby knife because it looked nice and would have got my name in the ledgers, not gonna happen any other way.

@Red Leg
After looking at the Rigby knife I think I would much prefer on of Von Gruffs beautiful bespoke knives, think it would be a better quality knife than the Rigby.
Bob
Bob,
With a Von Gruff knife you can chose many options and you can discuss your requirements with the maker.
You get your name in the order book and you get a certificate of authenticity and it comes nicely wrapped in a presentation cloth.

I was at an Estate auction yesterday and bought some guns. Talking to some other guys who are older than me about how they decide what they will spend. When I had an enlightening moment..... It came to me that some of the money that will inevitably be left to my kids in my Estate, may as well be spent on stuff I decide I want. Practical or not. Then someday they can deal with selling my crap on an Estate sale and actually have to work a little for their inheritance rather than just be transferred bank accounts and brokerage accounts;)
Just saw this. You found guys older than you?!? :unsure::oops:

Never seen a grave equipped with a shooting range. If you like it, buy it. What turns us on and how big a deal $28,000 is to us is different for all of us. If you’d enjoy it more than you’d enjoy the 28k, it’s a bargain. If you’d scrape by to get it in the hopes you could sell it for 28k or more down the line, leave it on the shelf.

no. The lions were killed in 1898, the 375 wasn’t even invented until 1912.

killed I believed with a 303.

as far as limited edition rifles…if I had a nickel for Every John Wayne commemorative rifle I’ve seen for sale cheap I’D be rich…

honestly I find the commemoratives uninteresting. Handling the real thing is a whole different beast though.

@Wyatt Smith
They were wounded with the Colonel’s Lee Enfield sporter in .303 British calibre . However , they were later followed up and finished off with a borrowed Martini Henry rifle in .500/450 Martini Henry calibre .
I believe the Prof answered the query some time ago

If I need to spend that much of money. I would rather spend it on such rifle, then on - for example - a car. But thats just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross