Like we dont have enough to worry about... good grief! MURDER HORNETS!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
https://q13fox.com/2020/05/04/effor...asive-asian-giant-hornet-in-washington-state/
I would note that the article says how they don't usually bother humans or pets, but they kill some 50 people every year in Japan. I saw a news story about these monsters a year or so ago, and they are nasty, vicious, gigantic freaking hornets that can kill some people with one sting!
And they are now in my own backyard so to speak, been seen in just one county north of me near the BC border.

Rick Cox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
Well look at the bright side: if you were to get stung by one of these guys, it would take your mind off COVID 19. At least for awhile...

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I keep honey bees as a hobby. Working with them while wearing a t-shirt and no veil makes a guy really focus on being calm. It is good training for hunting for when your heart is racing but you have to keep your hands steady. A honey bee sting is mild. A mud wasp is a step above, I got nailed by 4 of them last summer, last sting was more than 80 yards from the hive while I was in a full sprint. I guess I shouldn’t have accidentally stepped on their nest.

I’m curious to get a sting from one of these wasps to compare. I bet it is like having 2 cups of coffee and a redbull, then putting a cigarette out on your arm right before you fall off the boat while duck hunting in a pond covered in thin ice.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
You know what they say about curiosity right?:confused: I suspect its going to be a lot worse than you think. Getting stung from a near 2 inch giant hornet/wasp with a stinger at least a quarter inch long:eek: with enough venom to choke a donkey:rolleyes: aint my idea of a good time. No thanks!;)
The yellow jackets we get around here almost put me in the hospital once from the reaction I had. I don't do well with those and by all accounts this bastard is much much worse.

Standard Velocity

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I keep honey bees as a hobby. Working with them while wearing a t-shirt and no veil makes a guy really focus on being calm. It is good training for hunting for when your heart is racing but you have to keep your hands steady. A honey bee sting is mild. A mud wasp is a step above, I got nailed by 4 of them last summer, last sting was more than 80 yards from the hive while I was in a full sprint. I guess I shouldn’t have accidentally stepped on their nest.

I’m curious to get a sting from one of these wasps to compare. I bet it is like having 2 cups of coffee and a redbull, then putting a cigarette out on your arm right before you fall off the boat while duck hunting in a pond covered in thin ice.

Honey bees have taken residence in a dead tree hollow in my backyard. I was building a bookcase last week on the deck and hundreds if not a thousand bees were swarming the backyard. They were all around me and several landed on me. I calmly continued gluing and they all disappeared within about ten minutes. They weren’t aggressive and didn’t appear to be feeding, just swarming all around.

You keep bees and probably know a bit about them. What the heck were they doing?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
raid wasp and hornet killer 33.png

Problem Solved!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
1 5/8 ounces of #9 lead.
Good luck.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
96137001_2907403026013399_3981822750867062784_n.jpg

Mr. Zorg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media

Coyote Peterson rates the sting equivalent to the bullet ant, which still keeps it below the Texas red headed centipede (and its Sonoran variants).

We've dealt with Africanized bees in the Southwest for decades; I've never had a personal encounter (thankfully). Wikipedia says these hornets easily decimate nests of European honeybees in Japan, so these hornets are now one more negative population pressure impact on the North American honeybees.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_giant_hornet

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Coyote Peterson rates the sting equivalent to the bullet ant, which still keeps it below the Texas red headed centipede (and its Sonoran variants).

We've dealt with Africanized bees in the Southwest for decades; I've never had a personal encounter (thankfully). Wikipedia says these hornets easily decimate nests of European honeybees in Japan, so these hornets are now one more negative population pressure impact on the North American honeybees.

Yeah they annihilate honeybees in short order which is the big issue.....no bees ...no pollination... no food crops....honey bees in usa and Europe already are under pressure with numbers dropping seriously in last few years.....

BBC News - 'Murder hornets' land in the US for the first time
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52533585

Mr. Zorg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The indigenous Japanese honeybees have a defense overloading these hornets with heat & CO2. Guess Japanese honeybees will become an export item to replace the carnage of others in North America in the future.

I wonder if these can overwhelm African and Africanized bees? Theoretically, arena style. They don't need to become an invasive species to Africa as well!

The worst invasive insect in our area continues to be the South American fire ants. They colonized South Texas when I was 13 or 14, first I remember seeing them. They've adapted to having up to 3 cooperative queens share a nest here, maybe in response to insecticides targeted at rendering queens sterile in years past.

Louisiana is worse - much worse. They love the Bayou country.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
ooooh noooooo. That’s way to simple. Everyone needs to immediately panic, hoard lightbulbs, and self quarantine for a further 6 months. Additionally, you must wear a full suit of armor but it has to have a Covid mask on the face flap for use while driving down the road solo in your vehicle.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
ooooh noooooo. That’s way to simple. Everyone needs to immediately panic, hoard lightbulbs, and self quarantine for a further 6 months. Additionally, you must wear a full suit of armor but it has to have a Covid mask on the face flap for use while driving down the road solo in your vehicle.

Run fast and get some stock in Johnson and Johnson. LOL.
There has to be a run on it soon.
The Special Can's are going to sell like hotcakes.

raid wasp and hornet killer 33.jpg

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Adam S

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (OH, WV, CO)
Is this justification for buying a .375? You know, just to protect my family?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlannaCapl

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J