Like kissing your sister?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've never had much desire to hunt the "big five", for personal reasons.....don't have anything against others doing it, just never really wanted to do it myself.
The one exception is cape buffalo......There is one critter I think I wouldn't mind taking. With the pressure that the antis are putting on African hunting, calling everything "endangered", and the way that certain corporations are kowtowing to them (as opposed to those who are footing the bill:mad:), I think it would be wise to do this sooner than later.
However, do to a bunch of "life changes", I doubt that I will ever be able to afford a buffalo bull hunt. I see that some outfitters offer cow cape buffalo hunting.......but I'm wondering if this offers the "excitement" of a bull cape buffalo hunt, or if it's like "kissing your sister" (hence the title of the thread).
I'm sure that cow buffaloes can be dangerous, but to what degree, as compared to a bull? I know the trophies aren't as spectacular, but I'm more about the hunt than what goes on the wall (with the cost involved, it may just be a photo!:unsure:)

Thoughts?

Have not hunted buff at all. I've read of others who have and hunted cows, and did so in spite of what I can see they could in fact afford a bull. And furthermore have done it multiple times.

Do I think it's the same as hunting a bull? No, I'm quite certain it will be different just like hunting tuskless cow ele's. I would have to imagine the PH's target older cows who don't have calves and thus culling them out of the herd is good for the overall health.

So if it's what you can afford, I'd say do it and with no regrets.

So if it's what you can afford, I'd say do it and with no regrets.

This.

I haven't hunted a cow, but I can tell you getting close to the herd for the first time is quite exciting. I'd have no more of an issue with it than shooting a whitetail doe. In face I'd say it is the same thing. If you can enjoy hunting a doe, and I can. Them hunting a cow should be the same difference.

Go for it!

Not the greatest video but....

While hunting my Buffalo bull the cows were the ones that were bluff charging and we backed out several times to get away from them.

It also seems like buffalo is more affordable than it used to be right now. Many South African outfitters are offering buffalo hunts close to the same pricing as a plains game hunt (depending on how much plains game you pursue I guess).

I've never had much desire to hunt the "big five", for personal reasons.....don't have anything against others doing it, just never really wanted to do it myself.
The one exception is cape buffalo......There is one critter I think I wouldn't mind taking. With the pressure that the antis are putting on African hunting, calling everything "endangered", and the way that certain corporations are kowtowing to them (as opposed to those who are footing the bill:mad:), I think it would be wise to do this sooner than later.
However, do to a bunch of "life changes", I doubt that I will ever be able to afford a buffalo bull hunt. I see that some outfitters offer cow cape buffalo hunting.......but I'm wondering if this offers the "excitement" of a bull cape buffalo hunt, or if it's like "kissing your sister" (hence the title of the thread).
I'm sure that cow buffaloes can be dangerous, but to what degree, as compared to a bull? I know the trophies aren't as spectacular, but I'm more about the hunt than what goes on the wall (with the cost involved, it may just be a photo!:unsure:)

Thoughts?
In 2014, I was on the hunt for a buffalo bull. After three days of tracking, we finally found him with a herd. There was one old cow in the herd. You can read all the details in my hunt report if you like, but the bottom line is that once we shot him, the herd stood looking for the source of the sound. I could swear that the cow - which had a massive spread - was staring right at me, with hate in her eyes.

In 2015, I was told she was still around, and I decided to hunt her. Half the price of a bull. The hunt didn't take as long, because we had scouted her for some time, and had kept a tracker on the herd she was with. But we could have tracked her in the same way as we tracked the bull, if I'd had the time and was prepared to risk not finding her - she'd been seen once in 12 months.

So what's the bottom line?

She soaked up four shots from a .416 Rigby before finally calling it a day. She was as tough as any bull I've shot (three).

This is not kissing your sister. The cows can be as ornery as the bulls, if not more so. You find them the same way you find the bulls. They are as hard to put down as the bulls. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference is the lack of a boss. Everything else is the same.

Don't let your concerns stop you from hunting a cow. Just make sure the property is large or are range, and make sure you track her on foot, the right way, not driving around until you see one and shoot it from the truck. That's buffalo hunting.

This is the cow - she measured 43 inches.

P1160020.jpg

I've heard people say that the cow hunts are exciting. I have not hunted a cow myself but would if the situation were right!

If you can go and get after one, then do it and have a blast, it will be a great hunt just as Hank described above!

Free range, not are range!

Not the greatest video but....

While hunting my Buffalo bull the cows were the ones that were bluff charging and we backed out several times to get away from them.
Time for a new cameraman!

If you are more into the hunting part that what goes on the wall I would really recommend the Buffalo Cow.
Its a different hunt to hunting the Bulls in my opinion, you spend lots of time up close with the herds and you have 100 eyes, ears and noses to fool. Magical hunt if you have never experienced a Big 5 hunt.

hunting cows can be as exciting and even more difficult than hunting a bull , go for it !

Thoughts?

My personal thoughts,

I think a lot of different opinions could be expressed on this topic. From the experience I have, hunting buffalo the old school way-tracking on foot-does not change wether you're hunting a cow or a bull. The exhilaration of getting close to the heard (wether it's a bachelor group, or a cow herd) is always there. The "hunt" is exactly the same as you sill track the herd, get up close and personal, often face off with the buffalo - and for that matter when you're hunting a buffalo cow it will be in a herd where there may even be other cows with calves. This spices things up a bit as cows with calves can be very dangerous and shooting the intended cow can be a challenge.

Then again, my personal opinion, hunting a bachelor group — dagga boys- is just the absolute best hunt you could have. Tracking those big old boys through thick brush knowing that they are all past their prime and not in the mood for being shunted around gets my blood pumping. Just their demeanour when that a big old, hard bossed, worn down buffalo bull has when we he waltzes past you at 35 yards with that epic sway is what epitomises buffalo hunting for me.

BUT, in the same sentence, facing off with a herd of 80-100 buffalo cows and picking one out is definitely not far off and definitely not easier.

So, for your purpose, hunting a buffalo cow for a better price, and too experience the hunt-I feel you would still get the same hunt.

Cape Buffalo is a MUST have experience for any hunter!

This thread is starting to get me really thinking about a cow cape buffalo hunt now.

This is not kissing your sister. The cows can be as ornery as the bulls, if not more so. You find them the same way you find the bulls. They are as hard to put down as the bulls. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference is the lack of a boss. Everything else is the same.
This sums it up nicely!
You should definitely do a buff hunt - bull or cow makes little difference.

I would have no qualms about hunting a cow - in fact much the opposite, I think it would be a fantastic hunt!

Thoughts?

yes...kissing your sister with a beard and bloodshot eye's perhaps...I have many, many clients that are pleased with their cow hunts...just exciting as hunting the bulls, even better sometimes...and at a quarter of the price from a buff bull you can do a combination PG hunt with 4-5 extra animals under the cost of a bull safari! and even at 2-4 days extra on a safari package

check out the hunting reports on buff cow hunts.

a cow hunt is in my opinion a more difficult hunt than for a bull, yes tracking the herd might be easier than tracking a lone bull, but with more eyes and ears from the herd you get busted quite easily. It is worth it!!!

Time for a new cameraman!
Must have just been a friend doing the work.
Not great for sure.
It demonstrates what those good videographers are worth.

Exciting moment for sure! Looks like GoPro cam footage, they are excellent for backup angles BUT when that buffalo is charging you need some more zoom and a steady hand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg