Lightweight Mono Metal Bullets For Buffalo

ida,
a very good post and one that adds to the fact that you can't quite have it all, all of the time.
I thought that between barnes and swift there were no problems, but nothing is perfect all of the time.
I have learned a lot from this forum.
bruce.

Please let us all know what you find out.

Spoke to Kobus today. He did have an agent for a short while in USA but unfortunately he passed away. He does ship some ammo to the states every year but it is a costly exercise. Exchange rate is currently favorable but it gets air freighted...The best would be for him to find another agent. So if anybody knows somebody or wants to step up this may be a business opportunity...

1. Well some are...but don't skimp on the bullets or you may not be around to tel the story...
2. For plains game I guess and in Zim you may not have much of a choice...Hornady crap comes to mind.....
3. True but more so by clients in today's world than experienced DG PH's, I do not know of any experienced old time PH that uses a 375 H&H as backup rifle on Cape Buffalo or Elephant...
4. Or some are just ignorant....

I ques there is some truth in the saying "There is no substitute for experience"

Hunt enough DG and be in a position where you need to sort the crap out enough times when the paw paw hits the fan and you will very quickly realize what works and what does not....especially when you have to drop one of these boys at feet and not yards....the last thing I want in my hands is a 375 H&H loaded with a 235gr TSX @ 2750 fps that I can assure you....

:D:D:D
I know , only of Two PHs who used to use a .375 HH Magnum for Backup Work , IvW .
One was Harry Manners of Mozambique .
The other was Wally Johnson , also Of Mozambique.
Harry used 4 Winchester Model 70 rifles in .375 HH Magnum , during his career ( starting as an Ivory Hunter and then Becoming a PH in 1954 until 1969 ) . But he also told Tony Sanchez Arino that he preferred the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby , but that the ammunition for them was often unavailable in Mozambique . So , the choice of a .375 HH Magnum was , in all probability , a pragmatic decision rather than a choice. Having read his autobiography , l also read that whenever hunting Elephant or Buffalo , Harry would have one of his Native Hunters , carrying a spare Winchester Model 70 . They would BOTH fire at the same animal simultaneously .
Wally used one .375 HH Magnum Winchester Model 70 his entire life . However , he describes needing often up to 8 shots on Elephant or Cape Buffalo to put them down. Also , the gun failed him once in 1972 when it couldn't stop an Angry Cape Buffalo whom his client had wounded with a Pushfeed .458 Win Mag FN rifle ( which had it's Magazine plate pop open under recoil ).
In Harry's Case , he would use 300 grain Full metal Jacket Meplat Kynoch solids .
In Wally's case , he would use whatever clients brought and had left over : Kynochs and Western Cartridge Co .

I can also highly Endorse Cutting Edge Monolithic meplat brass Solids . They are a VERY VERY good product

I know , only of Two PHs who used to use a .375 HH Magnum for Backup Work , IvW .
One was Harry Manners of Mozambique .
The other was Wally Johnson , also Of Mozambique.
Harry used 4 Winchester Model 70 rifles in .375 HH Magnum , during his career ( starting as an Ivory Hunter and then Becoming a PH in 1954 until 1969 ) . But he also told Tony Sanchez Arino that he preferred the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby , but that the ammunition for them was often unavailable in Mozambique . So , the choice of a .375 HH Magnum was , in all probability , a pragmatic decision rather than a choice. Having read his autobiography , l also read that whenever hunting Elephant or Buffalo , Harry would have one of his Native Hunters , carrying a spare Winchester Model 70 . They would BOTH fire at the same animal simultaneously .
Wally used one .375 HH Magnum Winchester Model 70 his entire life . However , he describes needing often up to 8 shots on Elephant or Cape Buffalo to put them down. Also , the gun failed him once in 1972 when it couldn't stop an Angry Cape Buffalo whom his client had wounded with a Pushfeed .458 Win Mag FN rifle ( which had it's Magazine plate pop open under recoil ).
In Harry's Case , he would use 300 grain Full metal Jacket Meplat Kynoch solids .
In Wally's case , he would use whatever clients brought and had left over : Kynochs and Western Cartridge Co .

Luckily nowadays we have good choice of bullets and reloading components so we do not need to make do with old style bullets anymore and only what we can lay our hands on...

Luckily nowadays we have good choice of bullets and reloading components so we do not need to make do with old style bullets anymore and only what we can lay our hands on...
Oh , wait. Harry's Kynoch 300 grainer FMJs were round nose. Kynoch never made meplats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross