Lightweight .375 H&H

RR 314

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have been wanting a lightweight .375 for some time and a friend recommended Crimson Accuracy in Cresson, Texas. It took over a year to locate a 22” Proof barrel. LAW action, D’Arcy Echols stock. D’Arcy was great to work with and he installed cross bolts before he sent the stock. Bare rifle is 7 pounds 2 oz. Guys at Crimson did fantastic work. First spin around the block and roughly 1/2 MOA with factory A-frames.

F336A041-704F-4B3D-A983-C3973FD989CE.jpeg
36FA7EA1-D341-4CCF-A55C-5D29EF680F3A.jpeg
8653D9E8-B177-4D97-9F10-7B01F73FC9C9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Browning X Bolts are 6.8lbs, but they're hard to find now at a reasonable price. Same with A Bolts. But, I want one to keep my .338WM A Bolt company.

I love the Khales scope. I have several and they are my favorite. Great glass and they will add a little weight. Should be perfect.

Should be a great carrying/shooting all-around plains/dangerous game, do anything, go anywhere, easy carrying, short and medium range, lightweight 375 H&H!

I should have also said precision tack driving... It does not matter about all the other things if it does not shoot well.

I love the Khales scope. I have several and they are my favorite. Great glass and they will add a little weight. Should be perfect.

Should be a great carrying/shooting all-around plains/dangerous game, do anything, go anywhere, easy carrying, short and medium range, lightweight 375 H&H!
Yes sir. I love these scopes! Some will scoff at the carbon fiber barrel and no irons, but I really like it so far. There are a lot of beautiful 10+ pound .375s in the world, but this one is a nice change-up.

You will really enjoy that rifle. It will be a pleasure to carry and should be easy to shoot. And a real tack driver as well.

My Blaser R8 375H&H bare rifle comes in at 3.5 Kg (7.75#) and is a pleasure to shoot. All dressed up and ready to hunt, it's 4.63 Kg (10.2#). In truth a little heavy for a 375.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CGncZTSZvMhZoJGPA

1618003556210.png

1618003662885.png

The Browning X Bolts are 6.8lbs, but they're hard to find now at a reasonable price. Same with A Bolts. But, I want one to keep my .338WM A Bolt company.
I’ve a Browning A Bolt in 375. Off the top of my head I can’t tell you what it weighs but it’s nowhere near 7lbs.

Beautiful rifle. Less expensive, and less pretty, but my Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby weighs 7.5 lbs with a Leupold 2x-7x scope mounted on it unloaded. It's nice to carry as well

usomoEO.jpg

Took this bear with it.

Jmbotrd.jpg

I’ve a Browning A Bolt in 375. Off the top of my head I can’t tell you what it weighs but it’s nowhere near 7lbs.
I was wrong. It’s 6lb 13oz and about the same price as a Blaser R8...........synthetic stock. The stock only. Ha! Ha!

0AB74C6D-CF6D-4F81-8D47-3C3C9C4CF73A.jpeg
93EDA99E-39E9-46CB-989C-3FA7FFFA6064.jpeg

Beautiful rifle. Less expensive, and less pretty, but my Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby weighs 7.5 lbs with a Leupold 2x-7x scope mounted on it unloaded. It's nice to carry as well

usomoEO.jpg

Took this bear with it.

Jmbotrd.jpg
Nice! And you even have back up irons if something hits the fan!

I should have also said precision tack driving... It does not matter about all the other things if it does not shoot well.
While I agree with that a 375 is not generally a long range rig even if you were shooting crappy factory ammo yielding 2-in groups that's plenty adequate for ranges you will encounter in Africa and doubly so for dangerous game. Yes you could be doing some extreme 500 yard shots with 235 grain bullets at some off-colored springbok but at that point why not just whip out your trusty Magnum 6.5 7 30 or 338? Even 6-in groups at 300 yards will do the trick with a 375 and you're never going to be taking shots on dangerous game at that range.

You will really enjoy that rifle. It will be a pleasure to carry and should be easy to shoot. And a real tack driver as well.

My Blaser R8 375H&H bare rifle comes in at 3.5 Kg (7.75#) and is a pleasure to shoot. All dressed up and ready to hunt, it's 4.63 Kg (10.2#). In truth a little heavy for a 375.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CGncZTSZvMhZoJGPA

View attachment 397126
View attachment 397127
Man that rifle looks familiar! To my mind it makes into a perfect weighted rifle for a 375. Although you've added a heavy scope and brought the weight up quite a bit, you have the option of ending up at around 8lbs 7oz bare rifle weight, if you use a lightweight scope such as a Leupold 2-7x33. I've used those scopes extensively and have found them just about perfect for a 375.

Man that rifle looks familiar! To my mind it makes into a perfect weighted rifle for a 375. Although you've added a heavy scope and brought the weight up quite a bit, you have the option of ending up at around 8lbs 7oz bare rifle weight, if you use a lightweight scope such as a Leupold 2-7x33. I've used those scopes extensively and have found them just about perfect for a 375.
Yeah, it should look familiar. ;) Although I'm unlikely to take the scope off, it's good to know that I can easily handle the recoil at a lower weight. Now I just need to get it dialed in. Man I hate doing bench work, regardless of the caliber or rifle weight.

I was wrong. It’s 6lb 13oz and about the same price as a Blaser R8...........synthetic stock. The stock only. Ha! Ha!

View attachment 397141View attachment 397142
Mine must have got fat with old age ! The previous owner has put some cylindrical lump in the stock bonded with silicone. Extra weight or a recoil reducer ? I ain’t digging it out anyway. My 275 I can shoot all day but the 375...10 rounds on the range are sufficient for me. I’m a recoil wimp.

I have been wanting a lightweight .375 for some time and a friend recommended Crimson Accuracy in Cresson, Texas. It took over a year to locate a 22” Proof barrel. LAW action, D’Arcy Echols stock. D’Arcy was great to work with and he installed cross bolts before he sent the stock. Bare rifle is 7 pounds 2 oz. Guys at Crimson did fantastic work. First spin around the block and roughly 1/2 MOA with factory A-frames.

View attachment 397054View attachment 397055View attachment 397056
Very accurate rig & damn nice looking with the D'Arcy Echols stock. I'm considering a similar build for an all around rig including mountain hunting for elk, bear, etc. I live about 90 miles from Crimson Accuracy & I'm consideringgiving them a call. Have you been happy with the Proof barrel? I contacted Bartlein barrels however they only offer a carbon wrap up to 338 cal & require an M40 contour in 338 cal. Really would like to get a 358 Norma or 375 H&H done. Considering a Proof barrel. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on Christensen Arms carbon barrels. If you had it to do over again would you still go with the carbon fiber barrel or would you go with a lighter contour steel barrel? Appreciate your time.

Nice! And you even have back up irons if something hits the fan!
Thanks! The iron sights are NECG. The Remington ones were junk. I had Kevin Weaver (my gunsmith) replace them. He also CeraKoted the Talley QR rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg